PDA

View Full Version : X-post - Doing something daring and I need your help!

vikivoly
01-03-2005, 03:39 PM
I also posted this in the forum, but since I do a lot of my posting here, I wanted to be sure all of my RL buddies read it.

This is a major "stepping out of the box moment" for me. I've decided that my weight is an issue that NEEDS to be dealt with. After almost losing my life with DD#2's delivery, my perspective has changed. It really made me think what my daughter's lives would be like if I weren't around. I had gestational diabetes and my post partum sugar levels are still higher than normal. I really need to make some changes in my life. I've decided to post my weight loss progress in my signature. I'm hoping that you will all provide me with encouragement and blast me when you see that ticker at a stand still. I really mean it. I'm pledging to keep the ticker for the entire year and update it weekly. If it doesn't move, I have to look at it every time I post or give up this board - which I'm not prepared to do. If I give up and I discretely delete it I want you all to post about it! Please hold me accountable for my actions since my 2 precious daughters can't. Can I count on your support?

jayali
01-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Good for you! Having struggled with my weight my whole life I know how hard it is, BUT I can't think of a better reason then your children to get serious about it. I wish you much luck and remember not to be so hard on yourself. If you slip it's OK, just remember to get back on track.

Good luck! I will be watching!

urbanmama
01-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Vicki,

I'll do what I can to help!! Good for you!

I don't have a lot of weight to lose-- I'd like to lose 10 lbs. and tone up, but I am committed to eating healthier this year. I've been eating too much junk and I know that it is taking its toll on me. So, I'm going to try to cook more and try to make my whole family healthier (DH could stand to lose 15-20 lbs.). I just bought a couple new cookbooks from Barnes & Noble.

I am committed to doing this because DH and I have bad family situations and we don't really have anyone we can count on to be here for us or our children. I'm petrified that something will happen to one or both of us. Our children *NEED* us-- they truly don't have anyone else. So, I have to do what I can to make sure that they have us :) .

So, our situations might be different, but I understand your feelings! I'll be watching your ticker!

karin4
01-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Vicki--
This is so brave of you! I don't so much mean the going public with your weight, although that certainly takes guts, but to recognize & take head-on something so important, and to ask for help-- well, you have my admiration as well as my support!

I'm kind of like Marie. My weight isn't an issue, but I eat way too much crap, don't really exercise, and generally don't take care of my body nearly as well as I ought to. I'm not 20-something anymore, but in this one area I definitely still act as if I were, and I need to stop before reality kicks me in the butt.

Best of luck to you! Can't wait to watch that ticker move along....

Kimberly H
01-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Vicki, you're an inspiration. I'm going to do some hard thinking over the next few days and see if it's something I'm ready to do too.

Interested in a weightloss buddy with more weight to lose than you? ;)

Either way, I'll be here to cheer you on or kick your butt!

steph01
01-03-2005, 08:15 PM
I pm'ed you!

parkersmama
01-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Vicki, you go for it!!! I am behind you 100%!!! I desperately want to get back to where I was pre-Amy Grace (I had lost about 50lbs after Wesley turned 1) but I can't seem to get up my resolve or courage or whatever. I'm hoping that watching your ticker go down will inspire me! :) Best of luck! I know you'll do great!

khakismom
01-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Vicki, you go girl!!! I will be right here cheering you on! :)

AvasMama
01-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Good luck Vicki! It is wonderful that you are doing such a great thing for your beautiful girls and for yourself.

My dad died when I was young and the thought of Ava growing up without one or both of us is one of my worst fears. We are currently in the middle of some potentially serious health concerns for DH, so I know a little of what is motivating you.

Robyn & Ava

iluvmy2boys
01-03-2005, 10:44 PM
I'll be here cheering you on!!! I started my weightloss journey on January 1st (so today is day 3) It's not as hard as it's been in the past (maybe cause my resolve is stronger?) and within the next week, I'm planning to add in an excersize regimen (walking 4 mornings & evenings a week - striving for one or the other but both would be awesome - and then adding in a regimen on the bowflex 3 evenings a week.

Good luck to you!!

AbbieF
01-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Vicki,
Congratulations on taking this major step and for establishing such a great example for your DD's. We forget that our children internalize what they see so much more than what they are told and its so important that they see you caring for yourself. I believe children have better self esteem when they see others modeling that behavior. Afterall, if you aren't kind to yourself who else will be?

One of my favorite motivation statements is one a friend told me: "You get what you expect." I think that can apply to all facets of our lives. So expect to succeed, expect to have good health and expect to be proud of yourself through this process.

I struggle with just that bit extra all my life and I find that initally when I'm trying to get into shape that I do better if I first add things instead of subtracting them. What I mean is I add in the exercise, I add in the water and once I have those things going I add in some healthy food choices. Then I start to cut back on the things I know I shouldn't be having. This way I seem to feel less deprived.

Also, the latest research has shown that people who don't get atleast 6hours of sleep have a harder struggle with their weight. If your body can't reenergize from sleep then it looks for other energy sources-food. So get some rest!

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

jubilee
01-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Vicki, I replied in your other post, but I wanted to let you know you've inspired me to do the same. Eeeekk! I will keep you accountable, and please keep me in line too. I need the encouragement and prodding to keep me motivated too!

LoveMyBabyBeans
01-04-2005, 06:10 AM
Vicki, good luck to you!! This is a great idea. I know what you mean about accountability and I'll definitely cheer you on in your weigh loss journey. I'm with ya, because I have quite a few pounds to shed myself.

zuzu
01-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Congrats on taking this important step for you and your girls! I will be cheering for you, and can't wait to see your progress.

I should be right there with you, so I'm going to PM you.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

heidi_timms
01-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Vicki!
Congratulations on adding the ticker and taking control of your weight! I would be happy to help cheer you on. I stopped exercising when we moved about six months ago and had a hard time finding a place that had daycare. I finally found a place that had daycare and I like their aerobics program. The weight was piling on and my clothes were no longer fitting so I was so glad to get back to exercise. If you do end up fitting exercise into your program, I find that it's important to find the activity that you love. That way it doesn't seem like exercise and it's enjoyable!

Congrats again!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

murpheyblue
01-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Kudos to you! We're supporting you 100%. You are a strong and beautiful woman and you can do anything!

vikivoly
01-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Kim,
You have to do it when YOU'RE ready. I admit it was very hard to submit this post, but I think it was a really good thing. It's only been 2 days, but it's been a great motivator so far. Who knows, maybe that one click can really set you on a path that will change your life for the good. When you're ready, I'll be here to support you and if you prefer to keep it private, feel free to email me.

vikivoly
01-05-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm 35 and it would still be tragic if I lost one of my parents. The thought of my girls not even remembering me just breaks my heart. I'm sorry to hear you're going through a rough time with your DH. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

vikivoly
01-05-2005, 12:39 AM
It sounds like a great plan. Keep us posted!

vikivoly
01-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Abbie,

Thanks for the post. I never really thought of an unhealthy lifestyle as being unkind to yourself, but that's exactly what it is. I certainly make healthier choices for my daughter's than I do for myself and I deserve that better treatment also.

Thanks for the great advise!

vikivoly
01-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Ladies,

Thank you all so much! You are a great bunch of gals with some great advise. I'm going to be counting on your support, so please keep on my case. Hopefully I will be needing a new wardrobe soon and I'll be coming to this board for clothing advise for myself. :)