PDA

View Full Version : At what point do non-onesie shirts cease to be annoying?

Saartje
01-05-2005, 07:20 AM
I already know that on a roller and a crawler, a regular shirt won't stay tucked in at all. Does it help when they start walking? I'm looking at buying ahead for next winter, when Isaac will be 18-24 months old, and I'm wondering whether I can consider regular T-shirts.

ETC a typo. Shame on me for posting on 5 hours' sleep. :P

jubilee
01-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Once my son started walking, I preferred the non-tucked in look on my son. So I don't even buy onesie style shirts at all anymore. If I tried to tuck in a regular shirt, it would just come untucked as my son moved and played around. As kids get into the bigger sizes (like 2T and up) the onesie style shirts become more scarce since it really hinders potty-training.

slknight
01-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Yes, it does help when they start walking. I would say that at this point (DS is almost 21 months), I really prefer regular shirts instead of onesie-types. I almost never reach for the onesies anymore, which is too bad since I've got a ton of Hannas. It's just a lot easier for me to get a squirmy toddler in a regular shirt.

Samraelanelevi
01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
For me I still prefer the onsie style for Levi. He is 20 months and wears the 18-24 month size. In Wisconsin it is very cold and the onsie style gives him more warmth imo. I also still put onsies on him. If the shirt is a non onsie style he definently gets a onsie underneath. If it's a onsie style top I may or may not put a second onsie underneath-depends on the day.

I know some said it was easier with non onsie styles but for me it doesn't make a difference. I do think that once a child is walking both work well depending on a parents' prefernce. I like his shirts to stay tucked in-with certain outfits. And with overalls I love onsie style tops b/c I hate when they ride up under the bibs.

amp
01-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I agree w/ pp's. Once my son reached a year, I found I didn't like onesies as much. In fact, we have a few, and I find THEM to be a pain, whereas when he was an infant, I hated t-shirt style.

C99
01-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm with Julie. Once Nate started walking, I hated the onesie-type t-shirts for him (and on the rare occasions that I tuck in, it doesn't stay anyway). In summer, I prefered rompers because the top of his pants wouldn't roll into his diaper. But in colder temps, my standard for him is a onesie and then shirts and pants or overalls over the onesie.

brigmaman
01-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Guess I'll be a bit of a dissenter here. I actually prefer onesie type shirts on Brig, but only under sweaters or other shirts. We layer rather than use a big coat in the winter, so I like his (pot)belly to remain covered. ;)

stefani
01-05-2005, 05:37 PM
DS is 16 months old (today!), and for the winter I prefer the onesies style, since that keeps him covered up more. For the Summer I don't mind the regular shirt style. In fact, when it is really hot, I like to put non-onesies style on him, because I think it is cooler.

One thing I notice though is that the regular shirt style last longer, since it doesn't depend so much on the torso length. Kiran is in the 25th percentile, but he has a long torso, so he is outgrowing his onesies in 12-month and even some 18-month size. I just bought a few 24-month onesies for him. For pants, he is still wearing 12 month, even a couple 6/9 month because they are long.

Hope that helps.

ppshah
01-06-2005, 01:47 PM
We used onsies until DS starting cruising around 10 months. Since then I prefer regular t-shirts. I don't like the tucked look though. We still used onesies for overalls and under sweater until recently.

jec2
01-06-2005, 04:27 PM
I've never even tried to tuck in non-onesie shirts. I like the casual look of un-tucking :)