PDA

View Full Version : Moms of Girls -- layette Qs

C99
01-05-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm trying to adapt my clothing roster for a girl -- it's so much harder once you add dresses into the mix! And I can't remember how many pieces I really used for Nate when he was a newborn -- although I am pretty sure that it's more than the basic 6 sleepers, 4 coveralls and 12 onesies that the Fields recommend. I'm attaching my template for #2. Moms of girls, can you tell me whether this is way overboard? I am pretty sure it's more than adequate, but I just don't want to go too nuts in my buying (says the girl who has hit Gymbo once and Hanna twice this week!....)

ETA: Can't attach the file (it's .xls), so basically my roster for the first 6 months is this:

8 "outfits" -- onesies/cardigans + pants, etc.
8 1-pieces -- sleepers, coveralls, etc.
4 dresses -- just for fun, because I cannot resist buying them and I know that babies don't do well in dresses between crawling and walking.
1 4th of July outfit
1 Thanksgiving outfit
1 Christmas outfit
hats, socks, etc.

LucyG
01-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Caroline,

When I click on your text attachments, they come up as an odd mixture of random letters and symbols. Am I doing something wrong?

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
22 months and counting!

wagner36
01-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Did I miss this big news?!?! How exciting to have a baby girl! I can't help you with the roster, but I must say that DH would have to restrain me if we were having a baby girl....before C was born I used to say how much I hated pink girly stuff, but now I'm just DYING to buy it

Congratulations!!!!!

vpalmer
01-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I get the same thing when I open the file.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

C99
01-05-2005, 11:09 PM
No..they're just .xls files, which DCforum doesn't recognize, unfortunately. Anyway, basically, my roster includes the following for the first 0-3 months or so:

8 "outfits" -- onesies/cardigans + pants, etc.
8 1-pieces -- sleepers, coveralls, etc.
4 dresses -- just for fun, because I cannot resist buying them and I know that babies don't do well in dresses between crawling and walking.
1 4th of July outfit.
hats, socks, etc.

I know that it's probably overboard, but is it WAY overboard? If it helps, Nate's roster at nearly 2-years has 14 outfits + 1-2 dressy outfits and I usually don't fill it.

westchicagomom
01-06-2005, 01:50 AM
No I don't think it is way overboard. I literally did not buy any clothes in 0-6 months for my DD because my mom gave us so much stuff and that seems about right for what we had which was enough. Remember you may need to change outfits several times a day if you have a spitter-upper or diaper leaks, etc.

I think the only dress we had was one for Christmas, but that is because we didn't find out the gender till she was born.

I am sure you will also be getting clothing gifts since it is so fun to buy for baby girls, so you probably could trim the numbers down a little if you feel the need to.

AvasMama
01-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Congrats Caroline!

I don't think you are going overboard at all, in fact I might increase your list to 10 outfits and 10 one-pieces because I remember there were days when Ava would go through 3 changes of clothes. Plus, I like to have more than I strictly "need" just for fun.

FWIW, here are a few things I noticed with Ava that I would do differently with another baby:

1. Mostly one-pieces for the first two months. I almost never bothered with an "outfit" then. I did have fancier one-pieces for going out in addition to the more pajama-like ones.

2. No outfits with non-onesie tops for the first two or three months or so. They all rode up on her and I hated that.

3. Dresses. Sigh...Ava didn't wear dresses much until she could sit up. They had the same riding up problem. I did find some that were basically skirted one-pieces and those were great! I highly recommend them. Ava actually has done really well with dresses while crawling. They are much better than most of her pants, which don't stay up well. You might want to focus on dresses with leggings for the crawling stage; those work very well.

Have fun shopping!
Robyn & Ava

LucyG
01-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I think it looks great! I used one-piece outfits (sleepers mostly, since she was a Feb. baby) for about the first three months. She only wore dresses to church at that age. By the time the weather was warmer, she was bigger, and actual "outfits" worked better. Since the baby will be born in spring, you may use dresses more than you think. DD wore a lot of dresses when she was 3-9 months (before crawling). I found that they were cool for her and easy for me to put on and take off for changes. And, in warm weather, an occasional gape around the tummy isn't a problem!

And, I agree that you will probably get a lot of clothes for gifts. We got so many that I ended up returning or exchanging a good bit of them.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
22 months and counting!