PDA

View Full Version : One-piece clothing and potty training...

lctippins
01-06-2005, 01:54 PM
DD will be 2 in June, and I plan to start potty training around that time. (She's showing a couple of signs of readiness now, at 19 mos, so I think she'll be ready to get started by then.) I have bought several Hanna Zippers in the size I expect her to wear next Fall and am considering buying her a pair of Baby Lulu overalls for this Spring/Summer. Since DD is my first child, I have no idea how the whole potty training thing works. Once we start, should I stop dressing her in one-piece clothing so she can easily "go" when she needs to? Is it okay to keep her in one-piece PJs at night for awhile? Wondering what others have done or are planning to do.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Lisa - Mom to Kendall 6/6/03

LucyG
01-06-2005, 02:29 PM
My DD will be two next month, and I'm hoping that we will be working on potty training this spring and summer. To that end, I am not buying any more one-piece outfits for her. She has two size 80 Hanna zippers that are big on her now (yet wearable), and I think she will still be able to wear them in the fall. As for one-piece PJ's after that, though, I'm not sure. I really hadn't planned to buy any more. I figured we'd move to 2-piece ones after she outgrows these zippers, even if she isn't night-trained for a while. We aren't PT yet, but she still loves to pull her own pants down for diaper changes, and to practice sitting on her potty. I can see that having to undo snaps, buttons, etc. would be a huge inconvenience with a potty trainee. I love overalls, so I will probably still get her some of those, just not as many as she has worn in the past.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
22 months and counting!

Niki_n_Abby
01-06-2005, 04:59 PM
My dd is 2 and we are potty training and she has loads of one piece stuff. She sleeps in Hanna zippers and has the romper(which she loves) and also has several onsie style shirts. It isn't a problem at all. She is only 2 and can't go potty by herself and I don't expect her to until she is much closer to 3 or beyond. I have to help her anyway so it is not a big deal to undo a few snaps. I really like one piece dressing. It is so cute and so comfortable for them.

Niki

parkersmama
01-06-2005, 05:05 PM
I have found that one pieces are a pain during potty training. It's impossible for the child to go alone and it's a pain to keep the clothes from getting wet accidently. I will probably stop buying one piece outfits this spring (she hasn't really had that many, though, but my boys had tons) with the exception of pajamas. I've found that one piece pjs can be worn longer for two reasons: 1) most kids daytime train before nighttime and 2) my kids always go potty right before bed and then usually don't go again until morning.

mamahill
01-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Everything Denise said! Ainsleigh was day-trained around 2 years, 4 months, but it has only been in the last couple months that she has been consistently dry at night. So it has only been recently that we stopped putting her in a sleeper at night (mostly because it was a pain for us to get up and strip her down in the middle of the night since we were doing cloth). She has a number of overall pieces that she wore a handful of times and that was it because it was just a pain to deal with. And we encouraged her from early on to go by herself - she would often just go into the bathroom, sit on her chair, and call for us when she was ready for toilet paper. It's very nice not to have to accompany the whole thing.