PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who buys in pieces rather than outfits?

Judegirl
01-09-2005, 01:51 PM
I just buy pants and tops in colors I like, and mix and match as we go along. Sometimes I'll try to find socks to match a particular outfit, but other than that, dd has nothing that "goes" with something else, unless it was part of a set from the company.

It seems like most people here buy a bottom and then find a top to match, or vice versa. Why? This seems limiting to me; wouldn't we get more wear out of clothing that can be interchanged? And don't you get bored with putting the same top with the same bottom over and over again?

Just curious...
Jude

vikivoly
01-09-2005, 02:25 PM
I buy in pieces, that's why I like Gymboree. You can mix and match the pieces. I tend to buy several pieces from a single line that I love, instead of one outfit from each line.

Saartje
01-09-2005, 05:08 PM
I try to buy outfits in which the pieces can be mixed and matched with pieces from other outfits. I find if I buy single pieces, I often wind up with nothing that goes well with it; but I'll hardly ever buy an outfit that can't be taken apart and worn with something else, unless it's a one-piece romper.

vpalmer
01-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I buy outfits, but I usually buy 2-3 outfits (sometimes more ;-) ) from each line I like and then mix and match the pieces within the same line.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

steph01
01-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Ditto, I do the exact same thing. I have bought single pieces on sale really cheap, but have a hard time using them sometimes because nothing matches quite right.

dules
01-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Same here...I've usually got "favorites" as to how things look together but like to mix and match them...so if I like one line I might buy 4-6 pieces that coordinate.

Best,
Mary

jbowman
01-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Jude,

I buy individual pieces--and then mix and match. For instance, I like to have several pairs of jeans & navy pants b/c those seem to go with everything. I LOVE onesies from Gymbo (good quality, cute, and inexpensive) and I just pair them with jeans, navy pants, or khaki pants.

In all honesty, though, Ellie has received a lot of clothes as gifts (mostly from my mother)--and many of them are "whole" outfits. I like them, but when I buy, I buy separates.

C99
01-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Nope! I buy separates. Some things only have 1-2 complementing pieces, but almost everything in Nate's wardrobe is meant to be interchangeable.

papal
01-09-2005, 07:16 PM
I do a little of both. But I am finding that buying outfits is easier. Like a PP said, finding a matching top/bottom can be a PITA. Plus, it is far easier for dh to dress Leela in a non-clown manner if the outfit is on the hanger as an OUTFIT and not as a 'do as you please, find matching pieces'. :)

vpalmer
01-09-2005, 07:25 PM
LOL Rashmi! DH dresses Eva in the morning so I can totally relate to this. :-) Maybe that is why I always buy outfits.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

tarahsolazy
01-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Same issue here, DH dresses Fory, and his idea of matching is not mine. Why can he look so sharp himself but put a slate blue top with orange wool pants? (I acutally liked that combo, but that doesn't mean it matches, LOL!) For Jude, I do some of both. Since Fory can't wear jeans or other non-stretchy pants, I have learned to buy hanna in outfits, (wiggle pants + jeeper or snapsuit) since those colors are hard to match, sometimes.

jubilee
01-10-2005, 03:22 AM
Until recently I was buying items as separates, but I found some items rarely got worn. If I bought 3 shirts that went with khaki chinos, only 1 or 2 of them got regularly worn. If he wore shirt #1 with the chinos on Monday, then by the time the chinos got washed it would be several days and in that time I couldn't have DS wear shirt #2 or #3 because the pants were dirty. Therefore shirt #2 and #3 seem like a waste to me because I can rarely use them because the corresponding pants are dirty or being worn. So now most everything I buy now is a set so each piece's buddy is clean at the same time.

suribear
01-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I do that all the time! I just try to make sure that the pieces can be coordinated with existing colors (something I didn't do until recently).

Kris

Kimberly H
01-10-2005, 12:13 PM
When the boys were little I bought separates and just got more tops than bottoms for some variety. Then we had some matching outfits to round it off.

With Mia, it's outfits all the way! For one, DH and DS do a lot of the dressing in the morning and let's just say their idea of "put together" isn't mine. (I've had to give up on her hair though ;) ) Also, I sort her clothes into her drawers already in outfits - top, bottom, socks and barrette/clippee. When it's time to get her dressed, just find out the temperature and pick an outfit.

Packing for our vacation was a dream too. I just put each outfit we wanted to bring into a gallon sized freezer bag, including a couple of choices of hair doodads, and counted out enough bags for the days we'd be gone and a few spares. TADA!

lisak
01-11-2005, 05:25 PM
I buy individual pieces and from various brands that coordinate with other things in ds's closet. Its so bad that I might pair a shirt/onesie from Gymboree w/ jeans from babyGap. I thought it would bug me, or that other people would notice and say something, but as long as ds looks color coordinated and he seems comfortable, then it doesn't bother me.

I have noticed that he seems to have more than clothes than one person can wear, and at the end of the season, there are still brand new unwashed clothes still w/ tags on them, so for the spring/summer, I am going to use the clothing roster or try buying in outfits to see which method works better for us.