PDA

View Full Version : Are you spending more or less at Gymboree with their new sales strategy?

vikivoly
01-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Since they are having sale after sale, I'm curious if it's working for them. I have been spending more and don't feel that I'm getting as much. It seems to me that you can't wait until a line is deeply discounted to buy any more. Where are the $6.99 sales? Even if they would have their winter stuff that cheap, my store wouldn't have anything left to buy. Last year I bought tons of Cupcake stuff at a steal. I've been waiting for a good deal on BG, since I just "liked" it, but my store barely had anything left and it's still not all that cheap. I've been buying things at 25% or 30% off and thinking it's a deal, whereas before I didn't buy unless it was 20% off and then an additional 25-30%.

parkersmama
01-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I think I am spending less but I don't think it's because of their strategies. It's because a) I haven't liked some recent lines as much and b) I have a one or two outfits per line policy. :)

vpalmer
01-09-2005, 05:11 PM
I would say I am spending about the same mostly because by the time the really great deals came around last season they were useless to me since I refuse to buy a year ahead and since we are wearing short sleeves by March around here. Lately, I too have been buying new lines instead of waiting until they are marked down to 20% then waiting for an additional 20-30%. There are several reasons for this. First, I have found when a new line comes out you can hit the tiered sale and save 35% + an additional 5% with the Gymbo Visa I did not have last year. That is a total savings of 38.25%. A year ago, the most I would expect to save and actually expect to make a complete out fit was 44% and that assumes 20% off a line and COF, which is an additional 30%. At 20% off, with an additional 25% off, I would save a total of 40%. I remember last year when Tip Toe came out I waited and waited for a sale and I ended up missing out on at least one piece I really wanted (the pink and white striped polo) and I had to go to two different stores on at least 3 or 4 different occasions to get all the pieces I want. Honestly, if I just would have hit the 35% off sale on the front end and bought everything I wanted I may have spent an additional $10 or so, but that is worth not having to stress out about a shirt or dress selling out before I got to it. I employed that strategy with Bubble Fun and I bought 3 outfits plus a cardigan, tennis shoes, 2 hair accessories and 2 pair of socks for $94. Now I doubt that price could be beaten and I don't think I paid much more for the outfits than I did a year ago for the Tulip Line and there was a lot more stress involved last year. Also, another reason I may not be saving much more money is the way I shop. I tend to spend only about $100-$125 at a time and go more often. I very rarely spend more than that so I end up going to most of the sales. Since some sales are better than others, I don't (and never did) always save the absolute most. Also, like I said before I never buy ahead more than one season. Also, I won't buy a piece if I can't buy the entire outfit. I had a pair of leggings in my had the other day from Folk Song for $3 and put them back because I figured if she never wore them because we have no matching pieces is it really a bargain? Whew, was that long winded enough for you. ;-)

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

Samraelanelevi
01-09-2005, 05:28 PM
I am buying less. IT's due to 2 reasons. I am tired of their games and like the sale right now I figure I am better off using my gymbucks next week so I didn't buy anything. I know there will be more sales and have been screwed so many times by buying at one sale and then next week they have a better sale-so why bother?

The second reason is that I am not liking the lines as much as I did in the past. Especially the boys lines. With my oldest ds I bought almost all Gymboree but with Levi I dislike many of the lines and am tired of stripes and the same color schemes.

vikivoly
01-09-2005, 05:38 PM
I agree with much of what you said. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in getting the item at the best price. I guess that's because I used to see some of my favorite pieces clearanced at a good price and then I would be fuming. But now that I think about it, I haven't really seen the pieces I've been buying on the clearance rack. ;)

I'm not one to buy too far ahead either. Actually, I don't like buying spring clothes in January, since it will be at the earliest April until they can wear them. Last year I got burned because I thought she would be in an 18-24 by spring and she wasn't. By the time spring rolled around and I wanted to exchange the pieces for a smaller size, everything was sold out. She some how survived though. ;)

I think I just liked the predictability of their sales before. Now, I feel like I have to buy things I like right away or they'll be gone, therefore I'm spending/buying more.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-09-2005, 11:42 PM
I am spending less. I am feeling really jerked around by the constant sales and I feel like it is even more of a game now to get their items for a fair price. It's just not worth the effort.

And it really makes their stuff seem way overpriced for what you get.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

vpalmer
01-10-2005, 08:43 AM
You are right about the clearance rack and not finding your favorite pieces there anymore. With the exception of AS, by the time a line hits the rounders you are lucky to even find a complete outfit.

For me, I think part of it may be that I am more knowledgeable regarding the inventory and now I know when I am missing out, if that makes any sense. Here is an example. I read someone compare the Wildflower line to La Playa. I couldn't remember what La Playa looked like so I looked it up on E-bay. This line came out right after Eva was born and I remember liking it and buying several pieces although I had no idea at the time what the line name was. Okay here is my point: Looking on e-bay I found the cutest pieces I didn't even know existed. I was totally happy with my purchases at the time because I didn't know there was anything better. Does that make any sense at all?

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vikivoly
01-10-2005, 12:04 PM
You may perfect sense. Ignorance is bliss and if I stayed off of this board I would be much happier with my purchases. ;)

AngelaS
01-10-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm spending less. Mostly because I'm tired of playing the 'game' to get the best prices and partly 'cause I think their last year's lines have been UGLY! :D (just my honest opinion of course, but I've bought next to NOTHING for my girls there!)

vpalmer
01-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Yes. But don't stay off the boards. We would all miss you too much!

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

Joshuasmommy
01-10-2005, 03:29 PM
It is a good thing you haven't like the lines Angela now that you have 3 girlies to dress. Especially since you like to dress them alike. :)

I have been spending less but I also haven't loved too much for boys and my son already has too many winter clothes.

tadylkat
01-11-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm spending more, but I am done. This Gymbucks redemption is my last shopping spree with them. I am frustrated with how they operate because I feel like they are yanking my chain. It makes me feel scammed. It all started with the COF sales last fall that occured right before the week of the earn Gymbucks sale with the same (or maybe 25% instead of 30%) discount to everyone. That was a real smack in the face to this loyal customer. I got over it only to be disappointed by them yet again. I was hoping to top off some of the lines I already have at the Gymbucks redeption this week, but alas they don't have any of dd's size left in anything that I need, nor do they have any coordinating outfits in her size. I am mad at myself for being taken in and will not shop there again. I will be cozying up to Baby Gap from now on.

AngelaS
01-11-2005, 01:12 PM
No doubt! Making three coordinate sure costs more! :D LOL

jk3
01-11-2005, 01:12 PM
It hasn't really affected my spending for DS's clothing. I tend to TRY to stick to a loose budget + that works somehow. If I had a girl it would be an entirely different story but I find it's easier to stick to a budget with a boy. I am buying more pieces on clearance. During the last few sales I found lots of items for gifts + lots of basics for DS for next year. I buy ahead at times especially since my DS will be in school next year so I think he'll need more play clothes.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

TahliasMom
01-11-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm an occassional Gymbo shopper because I think their clothes are overpriced and I don't care for many of their lines. Also, I don't like the fact that you are almost forced to get several pieces because it's hard to match with other lines.

I did get some stuff with the CFO and then got screwed like everyone else. I think if they just stopped overpricing their clothes then we wouldn't have to play these pricing games! They think it helps create customer loyalty but frankly I think it's a huge turnoff!

I have one Gymbuck and I don't think I am even going to use it since the 25% is going to end and I refuse to pay full price for their clothes!

Mommyto3
01-12-2005, 08:57 PM
It's confusing..I used to love having Gymbucks or getting the 30% off, I was really happy feeling like I got a great price. But then they started with the sale after sale crap..and I was always chasing a better price and digging out receipts..buying, returning..etc. Who has the time. Plus, I am really liking the gap again, and I prefer HA and Baby Lulu over Gymbo. As much as I love each line when it comes out, I find that I buy and then return, because I am just not that excited to put it on my kids.

Soooo, today was the first time that I have looked at Gymbo in months. My mom gave me 2 gymbucks, so I'll use those, and that's it! Frankly, I feel that sale after sale, deep discounts, constant markdowns, seems desperate and cheapens their product..to me. But, then I again, I'm in sales, so I tend to analyze everything to death! LOL!