PDA

View Full Version : How many swimsuits per season?

LoveMyBabyBeans
01-10-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm just wondering how many swimsuits you guys buy for your children/babies per season? It seems that now is the beginning of swimwear buying season and everyone's talking about it.

Last year I had 3 pairs of swimming trunks for Huey and 3 pairs for Quinn. They were 4 and 2 and did a lot of backyard swimming with a few trips to the big pool.

For this coming year, Quinlan is still set and Huey's should still fit. If something really, really cathces my eye for them new, I might get them each a new pair of swimming trunks. It's funny though. Here, little kids (boys and girls alike) wear Speedo style swim bottoms, no top (yes, even the little girls). So my American kids actually look funny and out of place in their American style swim shorts. As for Andie, she's only going to be 1, so I don't know if I can justify having more than one suit for her. Then again, if she's going to be in the backyard pool at least once a day, maybe I should have a 2nd. I got her the blue polkadot one from J&J so far.

How many do you guys get for your kids?

LucyG
01-10-2005, 08:52 AM
We had four last summer when DD was a year old, but only because someone loaned us three suits (and I bought one). I think two is probably enough, even if you swim every day. Half the time, she went nude in our kiddie pool in the backyard anyway. Even though we took two beach trips, I still think we could have gotten by with two suits. But, if they are not expensive, I think it's fun to have several to choose from! I plan to have 2 or 3 for this summer.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
22 months and counting!

vpalmer
01-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Admittedly, I go way overboard in the swimsuit department. We have a great community pool less than a mile away from our house and we are there several times a week during the summer. Last year, Eva had four swimsuits, although I only bought three. The fourth was a gift at her June birthday. I only do laundry once a week and I like to have a new suit each time we go to the pool so three is a good number for us. Having four suits was nice because it gave us some variety, but not necessary by any means.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

lctippins
01-10-2005, 09:00 AM
My DD will be 2 in June and I plan to buy her two swimsuits. We have a pool in our backyard, so we'll be swimming frequently. I just rinse them out in cold water after they're worn so they're good to go for next time. DD had 3 suits last year (2 were gifts), but she ended up wearing one of them (Gymbo Vacation Time) almost the entire summer.

Lisa - Mom to Kendall 6/6/03

Samraelanelevi
01-10-2005, 10:30 AM
I tend to have 4 suits per child. I like to have 2 for at home swimming b/c my kids tend to go from the sandbox to the pool and back again. SO I keep 2 for that-I don't care if they get dirty or stained. My kids also go swimming at home almsot everyday and somedays twice. Then I like to have 2 for going to the public pool. We have a small water park near my house and go there a few times a week. Last year Levi had 2 suits b/c he didn't swim as much as the other kids but this year at 2 years old I think he'll need more (I have 3 bought already from last year clearance sales).

vikivoly
01-10-2005, 11:49 AM
This will be my DD's 3rd summer and she'll probably have 2 suits again. If we get our pool this year, I may buy a third suit because we'll be spending more time in the water. If you're just going to be in the backyard pool, you could just wear the swim diaper and avoid a suit all together.

parkersmama
01-10-2005, 02:26 PM
I generally buy 2 per child. Last year, AG ended up with 3 because I bought one at J&J after it went on sale. She may get three again because I like to have a combo of one piece and two piece for her. The only one I've bought so far is the same one you have from J&J. It's really adorable. :D

I pretty much only buy swimsuits from Gymboree or J&J. I'm sure that Hanna also has good ones. I've found that suits bought at Children's Place, Target, etc, start falling apart way too early for me and don't turn out to be a bargain.

egoldber
01-10-2005, 02:31 PM
If you go to the pool a lot, I find that 2-3 works well, even for a 1 year old. This year DD will be in a 5 day a week summer preschool program where they swim every day, so I have 4 for this summer.

My favs are the ones from Lands End and LLBean. They wear like iron and still look good at the end of the summer. I have had pretty good luck with Target swimsuits wearing well.

I have only had one swimsuit from Gymbo, and I was very disappointed with it. It was a 2 piece tankini from Splash and it was cute, but it did not wear well at all.

My friend's DD has a Hanna suit that is just adorable and seems to have worn very well.

HTH,

lrucci
01-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Last summer, I bought three swim suits for Kyeigh. We took swim lessons and were at the pool a lot, plus she has her own kiddie pool. We probably could have gotten by with two, but I found three I really liked. Not sure how many I'll get this year so far, I also bought the blue polkadot one from J&J.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

sarsah
01-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I have 3 or 4 for my boys so I never have to worry if we have a clean, dry suit. DS#1 takes swimming lessons throughout the year and we have a pool in our neighborhood that we go to almost every day in the summer.

I buy them on clearance at the end of the season, so I'm only paying $3 or $4 each (except for the Gymboree ensamble -- suit, t-shirt, towel & shoes -- I'm such a sucker for matching stuff like that). Also, DS#1 seems to wear the same size for a whole year, so he'll start the summer in the same suit he finished out the previous summer, but it will be too small by mid-summer.

Sarah.......mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)