PDA

View Full Version : Reviewing DD's Fall/Winter Wardrobe---Observations and Conclusions

Tracey
01-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Ok, now that Ava’s cold weather wardrobe is done, any new purchases will be for warm weather. I went through her closet and drawers and inventoried her wardrobe (listed below). I went into this little project trying to learn a few things: 1. Just how much have I overbought? 2. What is she actually wearing and what is she not wearing? I am hoping this will help me make better decisions when buying next year’s winter wardrobe.

Here are the things I found out that are good: 1. I absolutely love 90% of what I bought for her. 2. She has a wide variety of styles and colors to choose from.

Here are the things I found out that are bad: 1. Ava has a ridiculous, un-wearable amount of clothing. 2. 19 outfits have never been worn---including a full 1/3 of her Gymboree. This means she has only worn about 60% of her clothing and much of that 60% has only seen one wearing.

The conclusion: I need to do a clothing roster :(. From looking at what she actually wears, for the most part, I prefer the soft knit and easy to move in outfits from Baby Lulu, Indygo, Chez Ami, Hanna, Sweet Potatoes, Painting Red Rhinos, and Gymboree. Some of her most beautiful things have not been worn because either they don’t fit, or the weather hasn’t been cold enough, they just aren’t that practical, or just the sheer volume of things to choose from. Our winters are very mild and I just don’t need this much stuff. I feel very guilty looking at the numbers because it is wasteful. I do console myself with the fact that I can afford what I have bought. However, I do not like to throw away money and there are PLENTY of other things I could spend this money on (or save for). I need to do better. I will also re-sell most of it and get a great deal of my money back.

I think having a little girl just makes it hard to pass up sweet little outfits. I mean, before you know it she will be too old for little peter pan collars and sweet little overalls. I need to be more practical and buy things that are both beautiful and wearable. I must limit myself to a manageable number of lovely, yet impractical outfits. Lastly, be careful about Gymboree. I haven’t bought much from any one line and have skipped many. I still have more of it than I want because they crank out so many lines. Of her 15 outfits, 7 see enough wear to justify their purchase.

Thanks for listening and for the posts that have made me think more about these things.

Brands and number of complete outfits from that brand:

APRIL CORNELL 1
ANAVINI 2
BABY LULU 3
BEAUX ET BELLES 3
BEETS N SNIPS 2
CAKEWALK 1
CHEZ AMI 4
CUSTOM/HANDMADE 4
GAP 2
GYMBOREE 15
(GYMBO BREAKDOWN: SF (2) EH (3) DTC (1) CAAB (3) AS (1) WITW (1) CS(1) TIGER (1) GIRAFFE (1) GF (1) )
HANNA 2
INDYGO 1
ISABEL GARRETON 1
JACADI 1
JANIE AND JACK 1
LE TOP 1
LULLABY SET 1
MOLLIE AND MILLIE 1
MULBERRY ST. 1
NARTJIE 1
ORIENT EXPRESSED 1
PAINTING RED RHINOS 3
PICTURE ME 1
PIECES BY TAM 1
PINGORAMA 1
PLANTATION SHOP 1
RALPH LAUREN 1
SWEET POTATOES 3
TARGET 2
TRALALA 1
TRISH SCULLY 2
VIVE LA FETE 1

SWEATERS NOT PART OF OUTFITS:
SAM’S FRIEND
RL PINK CABLE CARDIGAN
APRIL CORNELL IVORY CARDIGAN
GYMBO WHITE CARDIGAN

COATS:
LAND’S END SQUALL
SARAH LOUISE DRESS COAT

SLEEPWEAR:
1 HANDMADE GOWN
3 HANNA ZIPPERS

ETA: I left a column off counting the number of outfits...skews my numbers a little bit, but you get the idea

bluej
01-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Well if it helps any, you made ME feel better about the amount of clothing Ryden has! I realized I bought way too much for him in late fall so I sold off several outfits then. Just the other day as I was standing in his closet I realized that he still has way too many clothes. At this rate, by the end of winter he'll maybe have worn each outfit 4-5 times, some not even that b/c I just don't care for them any more. This is the damage with a boy, I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like with a girl!

vikivoly
01-10-2005, 01:44 PM
You are a brave woman! I'm afraid to do that with DD's closet because I know I'll find the same thing. We still have several outfits with tags. It's really quite silly and truly sinful to have that much. :( I find that I want to "save" some of my favorites because I don't want to waste them (waste them on what?!!) and then she ends up only wearing it once! Now that I have two and I intend to cut back on my work, I'm going to have to be more conservative about her wardrobe. My only saving grace is that DD#2 will be able to get wear out of it.

vpalmer
01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Congratulations on losing 7 pounds. That was quick!

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

stillplayswithbarbies
01-10-2005, 03:18 PM
I don't take the tags off until I am ready to put something on her. I keep my gymboree receipts and take back stuff she doesn't wear. I am about to do a purge of Apres Ski and the line with the pink/black kitties because she hasn't worn them yet.

I find that I like buying Gymbo a lot more than I like seeing her wear it. It's like dressing a Barbie doll - most of the fun is in choosing the coordinating pieces and accessorizing.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

JLiebCamm
01-10-2005, 03:26 PM
I just packed up Nate's 18-24 month clothing and feel awful about how little some of the things were worn. And his 2T wardrobe is even worse! Now that I have a little girl, I'm not sure that I'll ever have a another child that can wear this stuff. When my gymbo credit card bill came a few weeks ago, I realized that I had spent $250 there in the month of December! That's more than I would ever spend on myself or DH. And I know that shopping for a girl is even more dangerous. How do I control myself???

Kimberly H
01-10-2005, 04:54 PM
>It's like dressing a Barbie doll - most of the
>fun is in choosing the coordinating pieces and
>accessorizing.

LOL! You're SO right, Karen! I'm going to put your quote on my roster. ;)

Mommaof2
01-10-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm a sucker for a smocked outfit, I love the dressy stuff. I hate when the season is over and she didn't get to wear it. So I started hosting "dressy" events :) And since it's an event there are lots of pictures, in the cute outfits. Since my daughter is 2.5 we now host tea parties. We had our first at Christmas and the invites for the Valentine one just went in the mail. I'm also planning on Easter. Now I have a reason to justify my dressy outfits.

vikivoly
01-12-2005, 12:52 AM
So true about the barbie doll! DH always tells me I didn't play with dolls enough when I was little.

vikivoly
01-12-2005, 12:54 AM
How cute! I would love to see pictures of your tea parties. I wish DD had some girl friends her age.

Mommaof2
01-12-2005, 10:28 AM
OK, you twisted my arm :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19573.jpg
I used a Christmas cappuccino set for our "tea cups"

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19574.jpg
they really enjoyed it

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19576.jpg
we all make cookies for Santa as the activity.

Tracey
01-12-2005, 10:45 AM
HOW PRECIOUS! It looks like the girls had a lot of fun and I bet the Mommies did too. Great idea!

colleenfs
01-12-2005, 10:55 AM
That is just adorable! And a fabulous excuse to get all dressed up!

We've been thinking about planning a doll tea party, just for the heck of it. We can even make mini-muffin cupcakes. All the girls will be asked to bring their favorite dolly and come dressed up for a tea party.

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02
Jumping Bean due 7-23-05!
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020110/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050723/0/25/1/+10/.png

Mommaof2
01-12-2005, 11:08 AM
My daughter is still talking about it 3 weeks later, "'member when my friends came over to my tea party and we made cookies for Santa" Makes me feel like she really enjoyed it.

The mom's had a blast as we are all insane over having "girls." All pregnant together and all secretly hoping for girls. I was personally on a high for like two days. It was my mother/daughter fantasy come true :)

bluej
01-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Angela, that is so cute! I love their little placemats!

Mommaof2
01-12-2005, 11:16 AM
There are so many fabulous things you can tie into a tea party to make it last two hours. Teddy bears, dolls, making the dressup part of the activity. I am always going to limit them to 4 girls total, they were all very well behaved and it never seemed crazy like a b-day party. We're going to do cookies again at the Valentine tea. I bought the cutters and decoration kit on clearance at William Sonoma last year so I'm all set. We just did fruit and cheese for food. At 2.5 I'm glad I didn't invest the time and $$ on lots of lunch chioces. I had plans of making pb&j and using a cookie cutter to cut out a shape but it would have been wasted.

One of the girls at our tea is going to have a princess tea for her 3rd b-day in March which should be really sweet. We have mainly boy friends so for now I'll just do them for holidays or when I'm bored :) I plan to make the Christmas one an annual event until she won't let me any more.

Mommaof2
01-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks, I thought they were adorable and grabbed them from Target for only $.99. They fit perfect on the table and I'll get at least another year out of them. Target has such great stuff but you really have to go buy it early, some things they don't have many of and when it's gone it's gone. I really should start looking for their Easter stuff.

vikivoly
01-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Ooh, ooh, ooh can we come play too? Oh it looks so much fun. We really need some little girl friends.

LoveMyBabyBeans
01-13-2005, 05:39 AM
OMG, that is SO cute. I can't wait to have a tea party with my little girl...she's a bit too young yet. LOL What a great reason to get all dressed up too. When's your next tea party?

Mommaof2
01-13-2005, 04:31 PM
thanks :) our next one is Valentine Day. Most of our friends are in preschool Tues/Thur but DD was a "young" two yr old so she goes Wed/Fri. Monday is our day to hook up with everyone and luckily it's Valentine's day. I don't have a dress for her yet, I need to get moving on that