PDA

View Full Version : Best brand of clothes for a thin toddler boy???

mommyj_2
01-12-2005, 09:06 PM
My super chubster has become really thin, and I'm trying to figure out what brands of clothes would fit him best. He's 32" tall, and weighs 22 lbs. I've bought him some Gymbo, but the fit isn't great. He's too long for the 12-18 mo clothes, but way too skinny for the 18-24 mo. I'm hoping some of you with skinny toddler boys can help me out.
TIA

trumansmom
01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
DS used to have this problem. The jeans that worked best for him were Ralph Lauren or The Childrens Place. Some Cherokee worked as well.

Now we really like Lands End climber pants. They have elastic waists and ankles, so there is a bit more wiggle room on sizes.

HTH-
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

trumansmom
01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Oops!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Dcclerk
01-13-2005, 12:22 AM
My guy has consistently been 95% height and 50% weight, so I know a bit of what you are talking about ;) I haven't noticed much of a problem with things not fitting, though. (We also use cloth diapers, so that may help keep things up :) ) It just generally works out that he outgrows the limbs way before he would ever outgrow the waist or trunk of something. (I swear he could easily fit into a 6 month size in the waist now as a 19 mos old). I'm wondering if maybe I just like the loose look for my little guy, and so never noticed that stuff was rather large...

In thinking of his current clothes, he has a ton of stuff by Charlie Rocket and Fifi and Fido. (Charlie Rocket stuff all has elastic waist so it is easy to make sure everything fits.) He also has a decent amount of stuff from the Gap. He only has a few things from Gymboree and those tend to be sweaters (but I haven't actively avoided Gymboree because of the fit.) He used to have a lot of Ralph Lauren stuff and that worked well for him, too.

I guess it turns out that I can't be much help... I just think everything fits him :)

mykidzmom
01-13-2005, 12:40 AM
I have the exact same problem with my 2 yr. old son. I mostly put him in overalls or one-peice's. We've been lucky with Hanna clothes so far. The waist on Hanna's seem smaller, or at least they have tighter elastic. :) I've been buying a lot of jon-jon's for the summer. I love chez ami, orient expressed, etc...but, I know a lot of people don't like those styles for boys. Good luck! I've been shopping a lot lately, so if I find anything I'll be sure and post it.

mommyj_2
01-13-2005, 02:39 AM
Hmmm...maybe part of the reason I'm noticing it more lately is I've switched to training pants most of the time (instead of prefolds or fitteds).

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm off to check out the Hanna website, even though I know it's probably going to lead to a Hanna addiction. LOL

jubilee
01-13-2005, 03:25 AM
My son is 34 1/2" and 24 pounds- also skinny. Pants that are working real well for us right now are the Gymbo Red Baron cuffed denim jeans in size 12-18. They are extra long to allow for the cuff, but just don't cuff them and they are still just as just cute, but will give you the small waist and the long length. They also have an elastic back waist, so I think they will be able to be worn a long time. Beyond that pair, I have two pair of Children's Place chinos, which are 18-24 and they fit perfectly. Everything else is too big at the waist or for some reason don't work well. My son has a long torso, so I can't get overalls to work well for him either. It is such a struggle.... I need to figure out how to take in the waist on a few of his pants so he will be able to wear them. But for the future, I'll check out the brands the other moms mentioned.

Little Ladybug
01-13-2005, 10:23 AM
I've gone the same route as Renee with my 15 month old stringbean! He does the best in overalls, jonjons, and other one-pieces at this point, but as she said, I know that's not everyone's style. Pants are so tough to keep on him - His 12-18 month Gymbo jeans still hang low on his hips! I will say that I've had good success with the Hanna wiggle pants and his Hanna Hippity Hop pants. HTH!

lovin2shop
01-13-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm in the same boat and having a hard time finding pants to fit my ds. My skinny minny is 25lbs and 36in tall. He is also starting to potty train, so I'm trying to only buy 2 piece outfits. Problem is that for the waist he comfortably wears 12-18mos and length wise needs a 2T. I cannot wait for shorts weather because then it will not matter so much. In the mean time, I look for pants with adjustable waistbands. I have found them at Gap, Hanna and Old Navy. Only drawback is that they are mostly in the dressier style pants. I'll have to check out the lands end crawlers!

Amy (mommy to Drew 9/3/02)