PDA

View Full Version : Please! Need HELP again re: sizing issues (pics included)

urbanmama
01-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Forget buying for next year, I'm having the hardest time deciding what size to buy Ella Paige for this spring and summer!!

EP is on the small side. Right now she is wearing 18-24 month shirts and sweaters and 12-18 month pants. She still has quite a bit of room in these sizes. So, I'm trying to decide what I should buy her for spring and summer. Should I stick with the same sizing for spring and then move up to 2T for dresses and shirts and 18-24 for bottoms for summer?

Examples:

Here she is in the IPWMF tee and denim capris. Both pieces are 18-24. The jeans are a little big on her but the length works because they are supposed to be cropped. The tee has a little room, but should I size up in it? (I may switch the tee to a plain colored one, but the issue is the same.)

Here is the same outfit with the cardigan. Stick with the 18-24 sweater?

I am buying the plaid skirt to go with the short sleeved wish onesie from DW. I would like this outfit to work from spring into summer. So, what size onesie should I go with?

This is the 2T. It looks huge on her, but will it be okay for spring/summer?

This is the 18-24 months. Even it is a little roomy, but will I regret going with this size come summer?

Finally-- swimsuits. I bought both the striped veggie one and the striped one from SC. They are both 2T. I think I like the SC better because of the skirt, but it seems to fit weird. The bodice feels tight although there is extra room in the length. So, I don't think I could size up. Anyone else who bought the SC one and found this to run funny?

Thanks for your help (again)!

Edited to delete pictures

AvasMama
01-13-2005, 06:35 PM
First of all, and I know I say this every time, but Ella Paige is SO adorable. She looks really cute in everything!

GWL: I LOVE the jeans on her and the top is cute too. I might size up in the top so that it will still fit in late summer. That way she can wear the outfit from spring through late summer. I like the sweater too, but would stick with the size you have since she probably won't wear that as much in the summer as she will in the spring.

DW: I think the 2T is fine. It may shrink a little when you wash it, of course, but even if it doesn't, I think onesies are fine when they are a little big. Ava often wears hers big and you can't tell at all.

Swimsuits: I love the SC suit and have that in my cart. I think it looks good on her! I can't tell as well how the veggie one fits, but it's very cute as well. Between the two, I like the SC one -- the skirt is adorable.

Did you buy any WFF yet?? I am dying to see pics on the RL girls.

HTH!
Robyn & Ava

heidi_timms
01-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Marie,
I think Kailey and EP are about the same size. Kailey is 31 inches and about 22-24 lbs (I'm assuming). She was about 20.5 lbs a month ago. I started buying her 18-24 even though 12-18 fits nicely in most pants. It's a long winter here so I wanted to make sure her clothes lasted all winter. It snows until April or May here because we live in the mountains. So, all of her pants are super baggy and the jeans don't really fit yet. I am buying her 18-24 for spring. At least I want things that fit for Spring and at least the first part of the summer. I'm afraid that if I buy 2T in her spring outfits, they won't fit until June or July!

That being said, I think you could get away with bigger shirts and the bigger onsie. The 18-24 looks fine though!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

Phoebe
01-13-2005, 07:14 PM
She's so cute in everything. What a model.

I can't help on the sizing issue because I'm in the same boat with Owen.

I love the skirted swimsuit, and I would get the solid basic tee in either orange or pink for the veggie cardigan

Also, I love the pegs you have in EP's room with the pretty dress and purse hanging on them. Very sweet.

Mary
Daisy 3
Owen 18 months

a.k.a. Phoebe :)

iluvmy2boys
01-13-2005, 08:09 PM
I had this same problem with Holden at that exact same age!! LOL Except he wasn't quite as small as EP is. What *I* did was I stuck with 18-24month tops and 12-18month for all of spring and early summer and didn't move to 2t tops and 18-24month buttoms til closer to July/August. The problem with holden is 18-24month jeans didn't fit him that fall so i had to move him up to 2t in pants so that he could have the length but they were huge in teh waist (Thank goodness for gap's adj waist pants that start at 2yrs).

HTH

urbanmama
01-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, Robyn!

No, I haven't bought any WFF yet. I have some on hold at my store, but they only received about 1/3 of baby girl, so I'm waiting for it all to come in. They got more boxes today and will put it out tonight. So, I'm going in tomorrow to pick it up.

Ok, you convinced me to go with the 2T in the onesie. You are right-- you can fudge a little with them. I will stick with 18-24 in the sweaters though since they will really be used for spring, not summer.

urbanmama
01-13-2005, 10:25 PM
It sounds like Kailey and Ella Paige are about the same size! I'm thinking that I will buy 2T for tops and dresses for the summer, but not for the bottoms!! I think they would fall off of her! I'm going with 18-24 bottoms for summer.

urbanmama
01-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks, Mary!! She wasn't really cooperating, but wasn't running away because she knew it was naptime and she'd rather model than go to bed!

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to follow both suggestions :) .

I have pegs in both of my DD's rooms. I love hanging special things from them! On EP's, I have a purse from Strawberry Patch which coordinates with her room. The dress is from Home on the Range. I still love that dress!

urbanmama
01-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the help!! Wow, it sounds like you were in the exact same situation with Holden. They even have the same birth month.

I think I'm going to follow your advice. I'll plan to go with 18-24 tops and 12-18 month bottoms if the outfit is meant to be worn in the spring. If it is a summer outfit, I'll go with 2T tops and 18-24 bottoms. The bottoms should work then (as long as the waist isn't too huge) since they will be shorts and capris.

I suspect that the 18-24 pants won't really fit her until next fall! She's a shortie!

khakismom
01-13-2005, 10:45 PM
"I'll plan to go with 18-24 tops and 12-18 month bottoms if the outfit is meant to be worn in the spring. If it is a summer outfit, I'll go with 2T tops and 18-24 bottoms."

Marie, that sounds like a perfect plan! :) And Ella Paige looks her adorable self, esp. in that bathing suit. I MUST have it now for Ellen. I am kicking myself for forgetting to buy it 2 days ago during the sale! I may just have to break down and pay--GASP!--full-price.

iluvmy2boys
01-13-2005, 10:51 PM
I know with holden that around 2.5yrs he seemed to sprout up heightwise (or maybe he just actually grew legs! LOL) and all of a sudden his 18-24month jeans/pants were too short but still big in the waist!! That's why I was so glad that Gap had the adj waist in 2yrs size, because we could tighten them up nearly all the way on both sides and they fit great!! Now, at almost 3yrs, he's about ready to outgrow them heightwise, but still big in the waist. Anymore pants I buy him will be 3ts, but I'll still buy his shorts in 2t since they'll fit him better.

What day is EP's birthday?? There's a lot of April birthdays in RL it seems like!~

One more thing - I ALWAYS bought sweaters/jackets one size bigger than their actual shirt size. So if she's wearing 18-24mo in tops, I'd get 2t jacket/sweaters unless you want them to go with specific outfits. For the boys, nothing was usually line-specific so once they outgrew the line it was meant to go with it, it could still go with jeans/khakis, etc or in the case of outerwear, it didn't matter anyways.

vikivoly
01-13-2005, 11:35 PM
We also had the same problem last year. DD was in a 12-18 in both tops and bottoms with the bottoms running a little big in the waist. I bought 18-24 months for spring (ex. THE honey bee suit) and had to return them because she never fit into the bottoms. The tops were ok, but many of the bottoms were picked over, so I had to return the tops also because we had nothing to match. She went all summer and into fall in a 12-18 bottom. Actually, she still fits in her 12-18 capris because it's the length that she outgrew. I'm buying 18-24 bottoms for spring and most likely summer because if the length isn't an issue. I bought her 18-24 in the DW frog pants (although we haven't tried them on yet) because if they start to get a little short, I figure it won't matter since they're a spring pant.

Just thought I would add to the confusion. :)

BTW, EP looks adorable as usual.

stacyleigh
01-14-2005, 12:07 AM
I am no help...I can't figure out this sizing stuff either (I just tried on a few of Lucys outfits from LAST summer and they still fit...size 6-12months)!! Just wanted to say that EP looks adorable!! I am loving the SC swim suit on her!!

I actually didn't go today so hopefully everything will be in tomorrow (although I don't think I am getting any WFF yet)...

urbanmama
01-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the compliments! What size are you going to buy Ellen in the swimsuit?

urbanmama
01-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Aren't those adjustable waist pants the best? Anneliese would have to wear dresses everyday if it weren't for adjustable waist pants!

Ella Paige's birthday is on the 10th.

Thanks for the tip on the jackets and sweaters. I may try the 2T on her to see how big it will be.

urbanmama
01-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks! And I'm glad to hear that my child isn't the only one to wear size 12-18 month pants until she is 3 :D . Seriously, I think it will be a while before she wears 18-24 month bottoms in full length pants.

urbanmama
01-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks!!

BTW, I didn't go in yesterday either. I'm planning to head in today. They still haven't received all of the boxes for Baby Girl yet, so I was in no rush to buy anything. I did put some things on hold though.

khakismom
01-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Marie, I will probably get Ellen the swimsuit in size 3T. It might be too big now, but I figure she won't be using it for a few months and I want it to last all summer. She's got a very long torso.