PDA

View Full Version : sizing Q for tall baby girls (J&J) - edited

indigo
01-16-2005, 04:17 PM
(edited to make this a more general sizing Q)

DD is currently 6.5 months, 27.5 in long and 16.5 lbs. DD has been in the 95th percentile for height since she was born; she started out also in the 95th %ile for weight but is now in the 75th percentile. For those of you with daughters who started out long, did they continue along that curve, or did they drop off at a certain point?? What size did they wear at 18 months and what percentile were they at by then?

I'm asking because I just bought the Peace on Earth red cord dress, in a 2T. It is absolutely huge on her but I thought if I bought ahead she could wear it in the spring, later this fall, and perhaps next spring (2006) as well.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19898.jpg

Also, by coincidence I happened to find a red reversible Oshkosh quilted jacket on sale that exactly matches the POE jacket, albeit in a 3T!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19899.jpg

So I'm thinking I need to keep the larger size dress so that she can still wear it with the jacket when she is a little bigger. What do you think? Would you keep the 2T, or buy a smaller size to wear now?

Here are some other pics for comparison's sake:

She wears the Aviary patchwork dress in 18-24 right now (the onesie underneath is a 2T, the sleeves are quite long but the length in the torso is not bad; the dress comes down midway between her knees and ankles):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19900.jpg

Here she is in a Carters dress size 6-9 (we will probably not keep this as it fits her *exactly* right now, no room for growth and I prefer dresses to be a little longer):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19903.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts!!

indigo
DD 7/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif

westchicagomom
01-17-2005, 01:16 AM
She is a cutie! And what a nice mama/baby pix too!

My DD was born 2 weeks early at 19.5 inches/7.5 lbs, but grew .5 inch and .5 lb a week for at least the first 6 months, so by her 2 month appt I think she was off the chart for height and weight. At almost 16 months she is still off the chart for height but has been down to 75th for weight since about 9 months or so. I don't expect much to change in her sizing in the next 2 months, but for this summer I exchanged the one piece 80's I had bought in Hanna for 90's and I think she will be fitting into all brands of 2t's by summer.

She is currently wearing 18-24 months/80 in Hanna and has been since about 9 months for the most part. In some brands 18 months is too small already and for those brands that have 24 months, that is perfect for her at this point. In some brands it seems 2t is a big jump from 18-24 months (gymbo leggings come to mind). As you know it is really hard in the early months to figure out sizing since all brands are so different.

But I think w/ dresses you have a lot more leeway so I would probably just keep the bigger size. If she isn't already, she will undoubtedly start crawling this spring and dresses just aren't that practical (although we still wore them from time to time). So I think you will get maximum use out of it if you keep the bigger size for Fall/next Spring.

indigo
01-17-2005, 01:19 PM
>She is a cutie!>>

thanks! she's definitely a keeper :0)

>
>She is currently wearing 18-24 months/80 in Hanna
>In some
>brands it seems 2t is a big jump from 18-24 months (gymbo
>leggings come to mind).

yes, we have the Hanna bunting in 80 - she is swimming in it but that's OK as the extra length keeps her hands and feet covered.

>But I think w/ dresses you have a lot more leeway so I would
>probably just keep the bigger size. If she isn't already, she
>will undoubtedly start crawling this spring and dresses just
>aren't that practical (although we still wore them from time
>to time). So I think you will get maximum use out of it if
>you keep the bigger size for Fall/next Spring.

good point - hadn't even thought of the crawling issue!! I will definitely keep the dress - and maybe keep an eye out for a smaller size on sale!!

thanks again!

KayK
01-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi indigo,

What an adorable baby and pretty mommy!

I have a tall baby and just wanted to give you a point of reference. At birth my baby was 20.25 inches and 6 lbs, 11 oz. At 6 months she was 27.25 inches and 18 lbs, 10 oz. At 9 months she is 28.75 inches and 20 lbs, 14 ounces. She's 9.5 months currently.

I agree with the PP about the crawling. My dd is crawling now and dresses just get in her way. We like to wear one piece coveralls and stretchy pants. She currently wears size 18 months.

Sorry I can't address your specific dress question, but maybe it will give you an idea on growth. Of course, all babies are different.

Take care,

Kay

indigo
01-18-2005, 11:10 AM
thanks Kay!!

It's very helpful to know your DD's stats, they sound almost exactly like ours! I think I will keep the bigger size dress for when she starts walking, but based on both your comments I plan to exchange some (Gymboree) pants outfits that we got for a smaller size that she can wear in a couple of months.