PDA

View Full Version : What does your DH think about your clothing obsession?

vikivoly
01-17-2005, 12:47 AM
My DH "caught" me taking pictures of my DD's in their new Gymbo outfits and told me I had a problem. He said, "You didn't even wash their faces or comb their hair. That means it's all about the clothes!". I was thinking, "yeah, so what's your point?". I'm not sure if he realized I was taking the pictures just to post on the board or not. Thank goodness he didn't notice the tags still hanging off of the clothes.:o Do your husbands think you're weird?

Edited for spelling.

westchicagomom
01-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Ummmm, even though he pays the charge bills, I don't think he knows. Cute clothes just keep showing up in DD's closet. ;)

Honestly, he really likes seeing her in nice clothes and doesn't participate in buying them for her (other than the $ thing), so I don't think he really cares about how many she has.

Now if he were to walk in her playroom at the moment (I am trying to figure out what to return) and see all the spread out Hannas/April Cornell I have purchased during the last week, he might have a clue. :o

ktdid74
01-17-2005, 08:35 AM
He definitely thinks I'm wierd. When I bought DD the hot pink velour CS hoodie set, he said "are you trying to pimp her out?" We just see her clothes differently, I guess. Luckily I do the finances so he doesn't see the money spent... When he complains, I tell him he can start buying the kids clothes :)

reyn74
01-17-2005, 09:37 AM
I guess my DH is pretty used to my odd ways. I don't think he cares at all whether I post pics of the kids, but he could do without me constantly asking him what clothes he likes best for what I'm deciding to buy. Especially considering he's always wrong, lol. I'll ask if he thinks the blue ot green shirt would be best, and he'll say green, and I'll say but the blue goes with his eyes. So then of course he says well why'd you ask me? And to be honest, I have no clue! Every so often I'll skip buying something if he really dislikes it, but I'll also overrule him sometimes.

Right now I'm going crazy because our camera was broken a few weeks ago and DH is taking too long researching a new one. I need to take pics of my kids!!

-Sarah and boys

stella
01-17-2005, 09:38 AM
My dh does think I'm weird. On the other hand, he likes how they always look cute! He definitely DOES NOT know what I spend.

AvasMama
01-17-2005, 09:45 AM
My DH will comment on how much I spend from time to time, but he loves Ava's cute clothes when he sees them. He thought it was weird at first that I spent time on this board and posted pics, but I explained to him that it is kind of my hobby and he seemed to understand that.

Robyn & Ava

Samraelanelevi
01-17-2005, 10:05 AM
My dh doesn't really care! LOL I take care of the bills so he really has no idea how much I spend. He knows I spend lots of time researching and shopping and says I have a problem-though he is joking and laughs about it. He says he'd rather have me over obsessed with how the kids look than some people who dress their kids in mis matched clothes and stained clothes. He loves how the kids look and if we get compliments when out he is sooooo proud! Like he had anything to do with it!? LOL

stillplayswithbarbies
01-17-2005, 10:21 AM
My DH is all for it. He tells me sometimes "that's a cute outfit, you are really good at picking out cute clothes to buy for her". He likes choosing her outfits to wear on days when I sleep in or am away. He likes the compliments we get. He likes the way she looks. He understands the frustration and the work it takes to find the good deals on the cute stuff, and he appreciates that I am able to navigate this world so well, and he tells me so. If I am undecided on something and show him two outfits and say "which one should I get?" he will most often say "why not both?". (because he truly thinks both are cute, not because he is trying to avoid participating LOL)

I think I'll keep him. :)

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

C99
01-17-2005, 02:38 PM
My husband doesn't think my obsession with my kids' wardrobes is any weirder than my obsession with my wardrobe. To him, it follows that I would care about what my kids wear since I was such a clotheshorse before I had Nate. But...he does know about how much kids' clothing should cost, per piece, which means that he has been paying a bit of attention to what I've been doing for the past 2 years!

C99
01-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Especially considering he's
>always wrong, lol. I'll ask if he thinks the blue ot green
>shirt would be best, and he'll say green, and I'll say but the
>blue goes with his eyes. So then of course he says well why'd
>you ask me? And to be honest, I have no clue!

I do this to my poor husband all the time! I do it with my own clothes, too, and he says that he always guesses and can tell when he's guessed "wrong." LOL! To be fair, he does it to me sometimes too -- although generally not w/ clothing.

vikivoly
01-17-2005, 04:30 PM
He doesn't complain about the money spent, although he thinks I go way overboard. He especially loves to see DD in her church outfits and has complained about some of the cheap hand-me-downs that I have put on her. He realizes that better quality costs more and doesn't have a problem with what I buy, just the way I, well, ummm, worship the clothes I buy. (Hiding head in shame.) He refers to Gymboree as a cult. We went out to dinner after church last Sunday and DD was wearing her J&J black & white Christmas dress (I did hide how much that dress cost) and the Gymboree P&P silver dress coat. Lets just say that she turned quite a few heads. He appreciated the attention she got, but he is a very modest person and doesn't like to attract attention. (Fatherhood has changed that some. :)) He thinks I dress her like that just to get attention, and while I can't lie, I do like when people comment on her clothes, I really do it because *I* like the way she looks in her clothes. He thinks its weird that I post pictures of her and discuss clothing on these boards. He never buys her clothes (and I don't have a problem with that), but he did buy her a pair of Merrell jungle mocs once. He has a similiar pair and he really got a kick out her wearing them. He would put them on her in the summer with pink dress outfits that I had picked out and act like I was being unreasonable when I switched them to something else.

lrucci
01-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Surprisingly, my dh has been wonderful. He always use to complain about my obsession with buying clothes and shoes before dd was born.
He couldn't understand why I needed so many outfits or pairs of shoes. He hasn't said much about all of her clothing, though I think he realizes it's my hobby and it would be useless for him to say anything. He did ban me from J&J for awhile. Then he laughed when I just bought from Hanna instead. The other night before I left for the mall he asked what I was buying. I replied "some cute outfits for Kyleigh". His response was, "I don't think there are anymore left. You've bought them all."

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

heidis2girls
01-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, I have a budget that I am "supposed" to adhere to each month! The budget covers everything that the girls and I need and I can spend it however I please, whether it be on clothes for myself or the girls, books or toys, ballet classes, going out with friends, etc. As long as I stick to the budget DH doesn't complain.

However, he has mentioned that he thinks that I spend far too much time obsessing about which things to buy, which I'm sad to say is true! I'm not an impulse buyer, I need to think about things for quite a while before I buy them, including the girls clothing! Therefore, I do spend a fair amount of time either looking online or at the mall looking! It's actually not a good thing and I really need to make better decisions!

parkersmama
01-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I would say that my dh thinks it's a bit weird the way I obsess over their clothing and take photos of them trying them on. But mostly, I think he's just glad that I take the photos and get the opinions from y'all so that he doesn't have to watch the fashion parade and give his input!! LOL!

khakismom
01-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Well, I must have the lone DH who thinks I am entirely nuts to spend all this money on clothes. He loves the way the girls look, but thinks I go WAYYYY overboard (which I probably do) and spend way too much money on their clothes. He thinks that the cute clothes at Target should suffice for the kids. He thinks I am becoming a Hanna snob. He is just very practical about money and clothes, and doesn't see the need to blow tons of coin on clothes when there are other things the money could go to--like their education.

Overall, he doesn't mind cute stuff for the girls--and obviously loves most everything on them and is very proud of the way they dress--but he would appreciate me buying LESS of it. I know that if I did that and actually stuck to the budget, he would have zero complaints. This is really the only thing we argue about. That and who gets the last Diet Coke in the house! ;)

LucyG
01-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Nope, you're not the only one. My DH gets really sick and tired of hearing me talk about clothes. I actually don't spend a lot at all on DD's wardrobe, but I obsess about it way more than I probably should. He's good-natured about it, but I honestly believe he would be happy if I'd never found this board. He loves for DD to look cute, but he thinks (and probably rightfully so, in most cases) that the same effects could be had with 95% less obsessing and talking about the clothing. What bothers him most is my constant worrying over whether I've gotten the right size in something. He gets really frustrated with the purchase-worry-return game and, to be honest, it's starting to wear on me, too. Though I love looking at the clothes and creating a cute wardrobe for DD, I'm really trying to obsess less, and, toward that end, to spend less time here. You ladies are lots of fun, and I mean nothing personal by that, but I tend to get too wrapped up in the clothing when I spend too much time here! Really, please take no offense!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
22 months and counting!

LoveMyBabyBeans
01-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Simple. He thinks I'm nuts.

Joyce
01-19-2005, 12:30 PM
You are not alone. My DH sounds like yours. He's very practical and can't understand why I spend so much money on baby clothes. On the other hand, he also loves how cute she looks in her outfits.

kransden
01-19-2005, 02:53 PM
I have an obessive personality. I collected fiestaware before Katie. So I think he is happy that my obssession is on my dd's clothes intead of something else.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

heidi_timms
01-19-2005, 08:50 PM
My DH thinks I'm absolutely nuts, but he does enjoy the attention we get when people comment on her adorable outfits and such. I admit I do have a problem, buying baby clothes has become my hobby. I often find myself lurking over at gymborebel and I do belong to a Gymboree loop and a Naartjie loop so I can get more gossip on upcoming lines and sales.

My DH just rolled his eyes at my 5 Gymbucks this weekend, and told me I spend too much. I loved the WFF line and spent all of the Gymbucks pretty easily! Although, he did pick out outfits he likes, of course, and added them to the pile. In my defense, most the the Gymbucks I earned during this last period we earned by buying Christmas gifts for the little ones in our families. I do get most everything on sale though!!!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

vpalmer
01-20-2005, 09:13 AM
He may secretly think I am weird, but he doesn’t show it. But heck, secretly I think I am a little weird! :o

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03