PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Orient Expressed...

stella
01-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Would any of you put your 4 year old son in a smocked jon-jon? I am from the deep south but no longer in the deep south, so he would definitely look out of place. Except at church, where all the ladies would eat him right up.

But really, I have passed the acceptable age, haven't I?

It makes me so sad, because all of a sudden, with no encouragement from me, he has turned into a full-fledged BOY. He loves batman and spiderman and pirates and guns and swords. I don't love those things and I discourage him making everything into a gun or a sword, but it doesn't help. He can be really sweet with his little sister, but half the time, he says he's rescuing ("rec-suing") her from the bad guys and he is fighting the bad guys off with his sword.

It makes me miss my baby boy...Is this the norm?

parkersmama
01-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Well, I wouldn't put Wesley in one (but he'll be 5 in March). Of course, he is a giant (I measured today and he is 45 3/4" tall!) and would look totally strange in one. For a very young 4yo or a small boy, I would think it might be okay. I certainly do see some moms around here doing it (of course, I am in the deep south) but I think my dh would have balked. The last time I dressed either boy in jon-jons was the summer right after or right before they turned 3. Of course, potty-training had a lot to do with that, too.

And, yeah, it's completely normal (IME) for him to suddenly become "all boy". Most of them do love rescuing, guns, swords, etc. I finally caved and allowed swords in order to get out of guns. *sheepish grin* I know they make guns out of legos and everything else but at least I'm not condoning it since I'm not providing them. Also, I figure guns are still killing people but when's the last time you heard of someone dying in a sword fight? I figure it's an archaic weapon. :D And, yeah, I definitely miss my baby boys. It's sad but I guess necessary.

mykidzmom
01-20-2005, 11:43 PM
My son was 4 the last time he wore a smocked outfit. (shirt w/ button on shorts) It was for my brother's wedding. He looked adorable, but my husband insisted that was the last time he would wear anything like that. I too am from the south....Tennessee.

steph2003
01-21-2005, 09:21 AM
I too am in the south - NC where smocked jon-jons are the norm especially at church. But DH says I have until 2 for these outfits. I think I'll push it to closer to 3 :) A good friend here - her son at 3 1/2 balked at his smocked Easter outfit & told her he looked "dumb" so she had to go out & buy him seer sucker pants & vest! I guess at some age they start having an opinion too!

parkersmama
01-21-2005, 09:23 AM
I guess at some age they start having an opinion too!

Unfortunately, and much to my dismay!! LOL!

Little Ladybug
01-21-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm so glad you asked this question, because I've been wondering the same thing (not for now, because DS is only 15 months old, but for later). I'm from the South, too, but I'm in St. Louis these days, where everyone seems to dress their boys in khakis and sweater vests from birth. I'm thinking that I can get away with smocking for another year or so, and then keep in him plainer jon-jons for the summer before he turns three. After that I think DH will cut me off. :(

HHCs Mom
01-21-2005, 10:32 AM
We are also in the South (Georgia) and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get away with smocked john-johns until DS is 3 or so. If not smocked, then appliqued or plain john-johns! Potty training will have something to do with it as well, I guess. I would say if your DS is potty trained then it might be hard for him to get in and out of a john-john very easily.

Kim
~ mama to a chunky monkey named Harrison ~ 4.6.04