PDA

View Full Version : FOr those of you with older boys (3 and up) ...

lmladuke
01-21-2005, 12:31 PM
How do you typically pick their clothing? Do you feel like you have the basics - jeans, khakis, etc. and then just mix and match tops? The reason I ask is because I was looking through the LL Kids catalog for summer clothes for DS and I feel like every summer I have my usual things - shorts in navy, khaki, etc. and then just get a variety of short-sleeve tees and polos, and a few tank tops that go for warmer weather. Then I usually throw in a short-sleeve plaid shirt or two for more "dressy" times.

Now that I have a girl, I see so many cute matching outfits and I feel like as boys get older you can't really do it. I can't put my almost 4-year old in seersucker short-alls anymore.

Do most of you feel this way - or are their places to get cute different outfits for older boys?

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5/.png

iluvmy2boys
01-21-2005, 12:36 PM
I was still able to find cute things for Ashton up until he outgrew toddler sized clothing at age 4. since then, it's been VERY difficult. I love mulberribush clothing for the older boys set - a lot of times their shirts have some really cute designs with cute coordinating shorts that don't look cutesy, but still look cute if that makes sense. talbots kids stuff is really cute for older boys. I hate gap and old navy for older boys - so plain and BLAH!! Even gymbo doesn't do that well with the older boy sets.

I go to our local boutique and find Ashton some really cute outfits that make him look his age, but without sacrificing the fact that he's still a little boy. But the yare expensiev so i can't buy a ton there.

shishamo
01-21-2005, 12:49 PM
I second Mulberribush, I do like their outfits, although my DS thinks it's too cute-sy for him :(
I also like Spudz, a division of Sweet Potatoes, and I got some cute ts from MiniBoden for him also. But, honestly, he really does not care as long as it's nice and soft (thus our huge stash of Hanna's boxy t's for him), so I mostly concentrate on my two girls....

shandrin
01-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Well my son is 4, and yes i basically take the same bottoms in different colors and mix them with various tops..being it's winter he has Hanna swedish sweats and some grey roots sweats, tops wise the bulk is from gymbo, followed by gap, roots and he has one hanna top LOL :D

i find it quite hard to find cute, fun tops for boys i'm always on the lookout, i don't outfit him like the girls i dunno just doesn't appeal to me, even my girls are getting past that..well ok the eldest IS past it at almost 9 :P

AdoptChina
01-21-2005, 02:39 PM
My older boys are 7 & 10, and they wouldn't let me dress them in an "outfit" even if I wanted to lol. We do a lot of basic bottoms (jeans, cords, khakis etc) and get cool tops

starrynight
01-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Rarely do I do the whole outfit thing with ds anymore- he is 6. I just mix and match basics.

Samraelanelevi
01-21-2005, 03:43 PM
My oldest is 7 and we get the basics with mix and match. Sam is vedry picky about what types of pants he'll wear and loves to pick out cool tops. Outfits are a thing of the past :(

I have noticed that with my 6 year old girl outfits are still okay but we also have lots of basics and mix and match stuff-more than when she was younger. She too likes certain jeans and fun tops.

It all changes when they get older and have their own ideas on what looks good LOL Enjoy dressing up your babies while you can!

ktdid74
01-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Brendan is 4 1/2 and I do the mix and match thing. Lots of sweats and jeans since they get worn everyday. I do lots of l/s tops from Gymbo and Gap for him (always sales going on) and a few sweaters. During the summer it's shorts and tees/polo tops. I never did the cutesy stuff with him- pretty much always the little man look. I just don't picture him in outfits. He doesn't really have an opinion but likes most of his clothes. I try to get stuff he'll like wearing- things with airplanes, a hockey shirt, the space shuttle stuff from Gymbo.

parkersmama
01-21-2005, 03:58 PM
What you described is pretty much what I do. I try to look for some interesting shorts (cargos, unusual colors, etc) and jeans and then buy several basic pairs. I usually end up with the Gymbo basic shorts, a couple of pairs of shorts from Hanna, a couple of LE shorts (khaki, denim), and a pair or two of searsucker. It's all pretty much a mix and match world for older boys. I just choose shirts that I like...LE, Hanna, Gymbo, MiniBoden, and Gap generally. I also buy a Mulberribush or similar outfit for the boys but now Parker is even outgrowing those. :( For summer dressy, we usually do a searsucker or other plaid or dressy khaki short with a polo shirt and sometimes a sweater vest.

You're definitely right...the selection and variety of boys clothing is nothing compared to girls. And for some reason, it's perfectly acceptable for even older girls (heck, even women!) to wear matchy-matchy outfits and cutesy things but it's totally socially unacceptable for boys to do it beyond the age of 3 or 4. It stinks!

macassi
01-21-2005, 04:19 PM
I usually buy a bunch of knit shorts -- gymboree is a favorite -- and get some khaki and denim shorts from assorted places. They boys mix and match. For the most part, they wear a lot of t-shirts. We do a lot of dirty play in the summer with camp, park visits, etc. and while I realize they don't look cute, I never care what happens to their clothes.

I also usually buy at least one matching swim trunk/shirt combo and they'll wear that to swim parties and look pretty cute. For some reason, they'll think that combo is cool when they would never "match" shirts and a short. Depending on our plans for the day, there are plenty of days that my boys just wear swim trunks, so I do try to get some matching t-shirts for the shorts even if they aren't a "set"

I do have to say that my 6 year old's winter wardrobe is no different. He refuses to wear anything other than jeans (blue khakis or cords for dress up) and we just mix and match gymboree, gap, etc. shirts with them.