PDA

View Full Version : Gymbo/Talbots/J&J swimsuits vs. Target/Old Navy

andie16
01-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Last summer DD's swimsuits were from Gymboree and Talbots and I absolutely loved each of them. They held up great and didn't really even seem to fade. I got the Gymbo one for about $11 or $12 on sale in February and the Talbot's one for about $20 in June. That said, I picked up a suit from Old Navy ($12.50) and a suit from Target ($8.99) today. I also have the J&J polka dot suit ($21.99 on sale, which I bought after seeing it modeled here) and am eyeing one of the Talbots suits that has snaps ($32-yikes!!). Now, we really only need two suits, but I know they sell out fast so I wanted to get them now while they are in stock (assuming children's suits can be returned, which I will make sure of before I buy any more of them).

Are the more expensive suits worth the extra money? Neither the Target or ON suits are lined. The Gymbo one from last summer is, but the Talbots one isn't (it's more of a cottony fabric than a lycra-type). The J&J suit is in her room and DD is (supposed to be) napping right now so I can't check, but I think it is lined.

I'm contemplating keeping the ON and returning the others to get the Talbots suit. I think part of why I'm being so wishy/washy is that I don't love any of these suits as much as I did last year's (Whale Watching and an adorable very brightly colored multi-stripe bubble suit with matching sun hat).

Maybe if I try the suits on DD I'll get a better sense?

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Andrea and Daisy 9/23/03

AvasMama
01-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Ava had suits from J&J, Talbots, and Baby Lulu last summer and the Talbots was by far my favorite. It was a bubble suit with little umbrellas on it. So cute!

J&J and Talbots will let you return things indefinitely. So you could buy those suits now and return them if you later find ones you like better.

Robyn & Ava

andie16
01-21-2005, 05:52 PM
That's a good idea. DH thinks I am crazy for all of the buying and returning that I do, but that just seems to be what works for me.

BTW, I love seeing all of your posts with Ava's pictures. She is such a darling little girl. I can't believe she is one!

Andrea and Daisy (9/23/03)

AvasMama
01-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Thank you! You'll have to post some pics of Daisy in the swimsuits once you decide :)
Robyn & Ava

parkersmama
01-21-2005, 09:33 PM
I pretty much only buy swimsuits from the "better" name brands...Gymbo, J&J, Lands' End, Talbots, etc. They seem to hold up much better with less fading and picking. Keep in mind that a cotton suit is just naturally going to fade more than a nylon/lycra suit because the chlorine and sun will bleach it out. I haven't been very happy with the cheaper suits that I've bought but I know lots of people here who have been pleased. I guess it's somewhat personal preference (like all things :) ). Plus, I honestly don't think the suits at Target, etc, are as cute.

andie16
01-22-2005, 05:21 PM
It was Amy Grace who sold me on the J&J suit in the first place! She looked so darling in it and I just loved those ruffles on the back and on the straps-such a nice touch!

So, I returned the suit to Target, and bought the one at Talbots and the SC suit at Gymbo when I went there to make a return from my Gymbucks purchase. If I had seen that there in the first place I would have picked it up from the beginnig. Will return the ON one too when I get back there.

I will definitely keep the Gymbo one and will decide closer to summer about which to keep of the other two (based on fit).

Thanks for your help,

Andrea and Daisy (9/23/03)