PDA

View Full Version : No Hanna code?

suribear
01-23-2005, 01:34 PM
I can't bring myself to place an order without a code. Oh well, guess I'll be saving more money that way!

Kris

iluvmy2boys
01-23-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm still planning to place an order because I have a few MUST-HAVE pieces that I I have to have (the A to Z short johns being one of them, the boys are both obsessed with letters and I plan to use the shirts with jeans or shorts for their birthday party in April - we're going to do an ABC Animal theme! LOL) and I really want some beach pants for Holden and the reversible sweater and summer isle sweater are calling my name!! LOL

Judegirl
01-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Me, too. And frankly, Hanna's stinginess about their discounts is really starting to bug me. I can't help but wonder if they want their clothing worn by the affluent, so that we working-types don't go messing up their image. I would think they can afford to throw bones to their regular customers more often - and bigger ones, at that.

And I'm still miffed about their refusal to co-op; they owe A LOT of business to the people on this board, and directly because of this board.

So I'll buy a new zipper once in awhile, but I'm soured on them b/c of their business practices. I think I'll be sticking to ebay for my Hannas.

Jude

Momof3Labs
01-23-2005, 03:33 PM
I guess I don't see why a large corporation would have an incentive to offer a special discount as a thank you to a board like this? I'm sure that we are a small fraction of their annual sales; why should we be treated differently than all of their other loyal customers?

And you think that they only want their clothes worn by the affluent?? I doubt that they think that hard about it - they sell their clothes at a price which covers their fixed and variable costs, and leaves them with a profit that meets their corporate goals.

Their practices are no different than almost every other company out there; are you boycotting those companies, too?

iluvmy2boys
01-23-2005, 04:11 PM
ITA!

while I am disappointed there's no code, it IS THEIR company to do business as they see fit. They kind of remind of Janie & Jack in a way ... they don't offer frequent discounts (ala Gymboree) because they know their products sell well, WITHOUT all the sales and discounts, thereby increasing their profit margin.

I'm sure we're not the biggest percentage (BBB members that is) of their clientele, by any stretch of the imagination, and I agree, why do they necessarily owe *US* a discount as a thank you?

Buffys Mommy
01-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Jenn,

I felt the kids version of that reversible sweater IRL today and have to say that I MUST have it. It is one of the softest things I have ever felt. I'll probably end up with both colors for me, and the navy/red one for Sarah. But I am trying to hold out hope for a code.

And I think the ABC Animal birthday party is an adorable idea. I'm sure the boys will love it.

Tammie
Momma to Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] 15 months and counting

iluvmy2boys
01-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Hmmm ... maybe I should get one for me too!!! I LOVE sweaters!!! I could get one for Ashton, one for Holden and one for me (probably get the navy/rustic red) and then get the boys some beach pants!!

Thanks for telling me how soft they are, now I KNOW I have to have them!!!

Judegirl
01-23-2005, 07:31 PM
LOL - Of course they don't owe us anything, and of course it's their business to do as they see fit! I'm not boycotting; I said I'd buy some zippers. :) I just would rather spend my money at a company that relies also on its relation with its customers, instead of one that relies soley on the quality and appeal of its product.

It's not a social-justice commentary I'm making here! I'm a capitalist all the way...it's just that I'd prefer to cast my economic vote for a company with warmer, fuzzier business practices.

Btw, any marketing division worth its weight in salt is absolutely going to think about the impact of who is seen using its products. (I think it's BMW that has, for years, refused to allow its cars to be driven by the villains in films. But maybe it's Porsche...?) The Socio-economic status of the market segment is completely relevant to companies, and pricing/sale/discount decisions are made with this in mind.

Best,
Jude

stella
01-23-2005, 10:50 PM
I mean, other than 2 dresses I ordered a week or so ago. Dream garden and by the sea.

I added up my wish list last night and it was $386. With a code it would be about $310. Neither is a reasonable sum, but it includes clothes for 2 children and a few things for the mama - like a pink denim jacket. How cute would that be?

I am holding out for a code, though. I am ordering nothing more without one.

And an important FYI...

I have noticed that if I order with a code, any items that are backordered (and therefore charged and shipped later) are being billed at FULL PRICE.

I have noticed it on several old receipts and cc statements - never in a timely way, or on an expensive item, but in the future, check your receipts!!

I don't think they are wrong not to generate a code. Like any other store, they do have good sales at the end of a season. They have a generous return policy. I have found their clothes to be the most wearable and durable of any I have tried. I do not think their prices are (for the most part) out of line. I think they treat their customers far better than most. Certainly better than the poor, poor cs I have had with gymboree. So I don't really get criticizing them for poor treatment for not generating a discount.

Of course I do want one, but was very surprised that they have done them at all. I don't think they want only the affluent wearing their clothes. But I don't think they want to be a rock-bottom discounter either. They offer very high-quality, tasteful, age-appropriate items in a world full of trendy, baby-teenager garb, and I really appreciate their styles and commitment to quality.

Now, if they will just distribute that code...

claire

Rileysmomma
01-23-2005, 11:14 PM
*I just would rather spend my money at a company that relies also on its relation with its customers, instead of one that relies soley on the quality and appeal of its product.*

Ummm, they DO cultivate good relations with their customers. They have fantastic customer service. Their return policy is stellar. They'll take pratically anything back at any time.

The Hanna Corp. also has the Hanna Andersson's Children's Foundation: http://www.hannafoundation.org/ How's that for "warm, fuzzy business practices"? Sounds better to me than a discount code. Discounts are nice but they're not anything we DESERVE, no matter how much we spend.

Susan

kcimato
01-24-2005, 08:07 AM
We can still hold on to the hope that they will do their monthly specials! Let's see if they come out with some in Feb.

mamagoosie
01-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I've certainly soured on Hanna as well. They have cute things, but frankly, so does Lands End. LE's spring catalog had heaps and heaps of hanna-like and boden-like stuff. Most of it less than $15. And they have good quality to boot. Same with LL Bean.

Does Hanna "owe" its customers anything? Technically speaking, no. But I perfer to shop at places that do their best to keep quality high and prices low. It is true that clothing companies do inflate their costs to generate "snob appeal." It's not just about fixed and variable costs. Pricing is a huge part of marketing.

Well Hanna, your snob appeal is lost on me....

stella
01-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Of all the children's clothing lines that I frequent, Hanna is the most warm and fuzzy and has the very best customer relations.

I definitely want a code, but would not confuse that with having good customer relations.

SummerBaby
01-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi-

This happened to me too. DD's winter pilot cap was back ordered until late December (I ordered it in October with the code) and I noticed on my credit card statement I was billed full price. I called CS immediately and they were very apologetic and credited me the difference no questions asked.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

suribear
01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Wow, didn't realize this would get controversial LOL

They don't owe us a code, but it sure would start a buying frenzy! :) Due to the laws of compulsive shopping, they would probably make more money due to the volume.

I wish I could afford Hanna without going through this lengthy deliberation process.

Kris

khakismom
01-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I spoke to CS this morning about exchanging the pink playdress capris for the pink multi and asked about a code. Unless this lady was playing coy with me, she didn't think there would be one out for a while. Food for thought...

I give myself another week and then I'll order the stuff I want sans code, even though it may kill me (and DH too x()!

parkersmama
01-25-2005, 12:05 AM
I'll probably do something similar, Maureen. But not having a code is going to cut back on what I'm willing to order. They will be losing money on me because I tend to buy more with a code because I feel like I'm getting a deal. Bummer.

Phoebe
01-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Jude, I understand what you're saying. And you're very polite about stating your opinion.

As you mentioned in a pp, ebay is a great place to get Hanna's. I've bought some used, in unbelievable condition, that I like even more than our brand new ones.

Mary
Daisy 3
Owen 18 months

a.k.a. Phoebe :)

Judegirl
01-25-2005, 02:33 AM
Thank you, Mary (Phoebe) - I really appreciated that. :)

Jude

LoveMyBabyBeans
01-25-2005, 04:52 AM
Same stretgy here too. I am going to prioritize my wish list and go from there, but I'm going to wait at least 2 or 3 weeks...I think. There are some things I'm really worried about selling out in our sizes. It stinks that their might not be a code, but hey, I guess they can run their business the way they want to.

ast96
01-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Here's where I get a little lost. Things at Hanna tend to go on backorder sometimes, and sometimes quickly, but I haven't found them to sell out of sizes very quickly. Lines are out for months and months and are marked down before they seem to sell out to me. Am I crazy? Since joining this board and GR, I seem to get "sell-out fever" when it isn't really a reality (except for J&J and their big sizes). I bought all the Love a Bug stuff early on when I didn't need to buy it early at all -- I could probably still buy everything I did back in August.

Just musing and wondering.

Allison
DS 06/02
DS 03/04

jk3
01-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm not able to directly answer your question but if something sells out online it is possible to locate the item at one of the retail stores. Hope this helps!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

khakismom
01-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Allison, you have an excellent and very valid point. Some things never sell out and all you have to do is wait until they go on sale. But for me, I have found that the girls stuff in the most popular sizes (which seems to be 80, 100, and maybe 110) can sometimes go fairly quickly--esp. the playdresses, which are Kathleen's wardrobe staple.

There was a dress in a wild print in last summer's catalog that I was *dying* for, but didn't want to pay $42. I waited patiently for it to go on sale. Right before it did, there was run on the popular sizes, and when it finally hit sale, the smallest size available was 140. I finally was able to snag it a few weeks later for $22.40 ($28 + the code) by doing the stealth ordering at 2 AM. :)

Plus, I think alot of people get so excited about seeing the new clothes that they don't want to wait and want to have them *now*. I know that's usually the case for me. :) I am not a very patient person when it comes to cute clothes!

khakismom
01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Me too. I definitely won't be buying as much--there will be lots of paring down of the cart. :)