PDA

View Full Version : I need the scoop on shoes for new walkers!

AvasMama
01-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Help me on this. Ava is walking really well now. She wears Robeez indoors almost all the time b/c we have hardwood floors and our house is too cold for going barefoot. She does great with them, but she is close to outgrowing the 6-12s we have. I have a couple of pairs of 12-18s, but they seem HUGE!

So here are my ?s:
1. Is it OK if the Robeez are a little big?
2. Should I start looking into first walker type shoes (LOVE the Eccos)?
3. How long after they start walking do they walk well enough to walk outside?
4. Can I put her in some of the cute shoes that match various lines (like, um, the purple sneakers in J&J's DD line)? Will that screw her up?

Robyn & Ava

AdoptChina
01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Connor wore his Robeez a bit big when he was switching sizes....no problems.

I would look into "real" shoes when you think Ava will be walking outside more. Connor was walking for a few months before we got some Stride Rite shoes (although he did have some Timberland sandals to wear at the beach right around the time he started walking)

Walking outside is just something they have to practice...its different balance then walking inside. Connor still trips outside and he has been walking for 6 months lol (granted, he hasnt had too much outside time since we have a really hilly yard/street). I just wouldn't let her walk if its really rocky etc

I never bought the shoes that went with lines simply because they didnt seem comfy

lrucci
01-24-2005, 05:50 PM
I am certainly no expert on this, but this is what we have done and it has had no ill effects so far :) Keep in mind, Kyleigh started to walk in July, so it was warm enough for bare feet. I didn't put her in "real shoes" until about September, except for when she went outside. She had sandals from Gymboree and sneakers from J&J that she wore outside.

1.Kyleigh is currently wearing 12-18 month Robeez and they are a bit big on her. It took her a little while to get use to walking in them because of the size. Our ped said that they should have no more than an "adults thumbs width" of room near their toes.

2. Again, my ped said that soft shoes (ala Robeez) are best. I wanted more protection for her feet so I bought first walking shoes from Stride Rite and we also got a pair of Elefantens.

3. Kyleigh was walking outside as soon as she started walking. At first, someone would hold her hand but it wasn't long before she was able to do in on her own. It amazed me how quickly she was able to master balance and the uneven sidewalks.

4. As I mentioned previously, she wore the sandals and sneakers during the summer. I couldn't find any "first walkers" in a size 2, which is the size she wore at the time. So it was those Gymbo and J&J shoes, or it was nothing at all. I hope it doesn't screw her up. I did worry about that too!

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

jk3
01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Robeez are fine on the slightly too big side. I found that they sort of shrank to fit my DS's foot. I definitely recommend the Ecco First Walkers. They're lightweight, flexible + cute. My DS got his first pair after he was walking for about 2-3 months. I purchased them on Shoebuy.com with a doscount code + they were about $28. HTH!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

Phoebe
01-24-2005, 05:58 PM
>1. Is it OK if the Robeez are a little big?

Yes, and socks help with this too. Owen's been wearing rebeez all winter with socks. Since we're indoors most of the time with this crummy winter weather, he rarely wears his regular shoes.

>2. Should I start looking into first walker type shoes (LOVE
>the Eccos)?

Sorry, don't know anything about that brand. Both of my kids learned to walk in the spring and summer so even ouside they were in bare feet, and also stride rite sandals.

>3. How long after they start walking do they walk well enough
>to walk outside?

Depends on the weather, in my opinion.

>4. Can I put her in some of the cute shoes that match various
>lines (like, um, the purple sneakers in J&J's DD line)? Will
>that screw her up?

I've never bought gymbo or other 'theme' shoes - they just weren't flexible enough. Another good shoe (and inexpensive) that both of my kids wear is the Gap's velcro sneakers. I know those don't fall into the pretty category. For that I've stuck with Elefantens (when I can find them dirt cheap) and Stride Rite.

You might want to try those cute English sandals called Footmates. They look really cute.

Mary
Daisy 3
Owen 18 months

a.k.a. Phoebe :)

Lenox12
01-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Robyn,
If you are still in BHam, go to McCraney's Shoe Shop in Crestline Village. The lady there has been fitting kids shoes for over 30 something years. And they have some good first walker shoes.

Ann
Mom to Emma Catherine
http://lilypie.com/pic/050102/7fd4767.jpg
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031002/3/4/1/-6/.png

jfmiller
01-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi Robyn -

One insight I thought I would add when transitioning from Robeez to "outside" shoes with harder soles - don't be surprised if Ava has a bit of an adjustment period. Those Robeez are so darn comfortable and feel so different than "regular" shoes, she may protest a bit at first. My son is also a winter baby and wore Robeez exclusively until May/June (we live in MN!). When we moved to regular shoes, we had a bit of protesting, including tears and refusing to walk! Finally he did wear the other shoes, but it was a transition I wasn't expecting...HTH!

Jennifer
Proud SAHM to Graham & Genevieve

stefani
01-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi Robyn,

I don't quite remember how old Ava is, but I think just a bit younger than Kiran?

DS is 16.5 months and he starts running, which is both good and bad :-) He has been wearing Robeez and Bobux so far, but he is walking outside more, so I got him a Preschoolians (I am Walking Barefoot zip on/off style) in December.

Now Preschoolians has those Robeez / Bobux style, but with the rubber bottom, which I think is great. I am waiting for them to have more designs in those to order for DS.
DS's Robeez was a little bit big when he started wearing it, but then after several washings and a couple of months, they seems to mold to his feet. He has been wearing those since his birthday. He took his first step around that time.

I put DS on the grass outside to romp around (actually even before he was walking). Until he can walk better, I did not put him on the concrete much, because at one time he fell and had a bloody lip. Now he walks up and down the street (on the sidewalk), and visits people's houses :-)

Hope that helps.

DebbieJ
01-25-2005, 01:31 PM
We never had luck with Robeez as they left unsightly red marks around my ds's ankles. We do have a pair of ShooShoos, but they are on the big side and don't fit well.

B has been walking for about a month now and we LOVE our Preschoolians "I'm Walking Barefoot" shoes. He wears them everyday and has no problems with them.

We haven't been outside yet (too cold!) but he does great with them inside and keep his feet nice and warm.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

heidi_timms
01-25-2005, 03:49 PM
We started off with Robeez-type shoes in various brands and then started DD off with SR sandals right away. It was April/May when she started walking and we let her walk a little bit when we were out and about. Like other posters said, it definitely takes time for them to get used to hard-soled shoes. I would take Ava to get fitted at Nordstrom or Striderite to see what size she is when you are ready.

Now I buy: Striderite, Bare Feet, L'amour, and Naturino (only one pair) which are all good flexible shoes. Almost all of her shoes are good quality with the flexibility she needs. My DD isn't a new walker anymore, but I feel better about buying these.

I don't usually buy Gymbo shoes as they don't seem flexible enough. I did buy the HNS boots several months ago. They are blue so they really aren't an every day shoe.

That said, we have shoes in every various colors to match outfits! I buy colored shoes for DD, which I don't even buy for myself. I always wear blacks and browns-LOL!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03