PDA

View Full Version : New to Gymboree w/question re: sizing

RJPO
01-24-2005, 08:43 PM
I have a question regarding Gymboree sizing.

I'd never bought anything from Gymboree, but after browsing on this board and seeing so many cute photos posted here, I thought I'd give it a try. I saw lots of things I liked on the website.

When I went into the two Gymborees near me (Santa Monica and Beverly Hills), I was struck a) by the fact that neither of them had proper dressing rooms (just a weird curtained off area in one corner of the shop), and b) that the sizing seemed way off, at least for my 6 year old daughter.

She generally wears a size 7 or 8 at the Gap, Target, and at other U.S. based stores. We tried on a 9 in this dress:

http://a116.g.akamai.net/7/116/2088/infinite/www.gymboree.com/media/images/products/20041214_LOAD/1400-00796_main_3c78f.jpg

and it was just right in terms of length, but a bit snug, with virtually no room to grow in. I thought the dress was adorable, but I didn't trust that it would fit through the spring, especially since it's a cotton/spandex blend that will undoubtedly shrink a bit when washed.

The Magnolia Jumper was lovely ...

http://a116.g.akamai.net/7/116/2088/infinite/www.gymboree.com/media/images/products/20050104_LOAD/1400-00416_main_3d65f.jpg

... but came up to about her knees in the size 9; waaay too short, and much too loose.

And today I received the European Holiday dress I won on eBay.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20447.jpg

I love this dress -- it reminds me of a vintage dress from the '50s or '60s -- but again, the size 9 is too wide and loose, but just right in terms of length. The tag reads that it's for girls who are 54 to 57 inches tall, but my daughter is just shy of 50 inches and it hits about an inch below her knees, with no room in the hem to let it down.

Is it just me? I like some of the clothes, but I'm finding the sizing pretty erratic. Is this a common problem with Gymboree? And what's the deal with the dressing rooms?

Rachel
mom to
Mary India, b. 6/21/98
James Jolyon, due 3/23/05

Phoebe
01-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Ugh, I know, I *hate* the lack of dressing rooms. The Baby Gap in my town has 5 huge dressing rooms and a 3 way mirror with a platform. When a store does that it's saying, "Yes, we want you to buy our clothes". Gymboree is saying "&%$* off".

I've been buying from gymbo for the past two years and most of it's been online (nearest store is in Sac). With the baby clothes, sizing hasn't been too much of a problem, but once my daughter hit 3 it was really hard. I felt everything had to be tried on prior to purchase.

One time, in a Gymboree I was so annoyed at having to try clothes on my daughter in the corner of the store (not even a curtain, as you mentioned), I thought, ok fine, I can play this game too. How about I change my son's poopy diaper right here in the middle of the store? I mean c'mon, it's a kids clothing store! Who do they think shops there? Single men?

And that's another good thing about Gap... they have a nice big bathroom. And so does Pottery Barn now that I think about it. In fact, when I was in Gap this week they had crayons and coloring pages for the kids. The sales girl made it a point to have my daughter color and then post her picture on the wall.

Ok, now to finish cooking my chicken caccitore (sp?) and polish off a bottle of wine :)

Mary
Daisy 3
Owen 18 months

a.k.a. Phoebe :)

mommyj_2
01-25-2005, 05:00 AM
I've had similar problems. I bought DS a shirt and a jacket from the same line over the weekend. Both were 18-24 mo, but the shirt is really big on him and the jacket is almost too small.

RJPO
01-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Mary,

Wow ... so it's standard for Gymboree stores not to have dressing rooms? I've never heard of such a thing in a clothing store. What possible justification could they have for something like that?

Kids get modest as they get older ... my DD did NOT like having to take her clothes off in a corner of the store.

I agree that most Gap Kids stores have great dressing rooms, and I know that our local one has a good bathroom on the same floor as the kids' clothes.

Rachel
Mom to
Mary India, b. 6/21/98
James Jolyon, due 3/23/05