PDA

View Full Version : When did your baby start wearing clothes other than pjs?

knaidel
01-25-2005, 01:23 AM
Currently, Nathaniel's very fashionable wardrobe consists of pjs (whatever you call them: one piece union suits, sleepers,) and undershirts that snap at the crotch.

My mom called today, and told me that she just got a Lands End kids catalog. Do I want anything for the summer, when he'll be too big for everything he has now? Well, if she's paying, then of course I do.

At what point did you start dressing your baby in other things, like shorts and a t-shirt? Also, I see that in larger sizes, one-piece outfits aren't made with feet. Does your baby wear socks, or does she/he just kick them off?

kozachka
01-25-2005, 02:42 AM
I preferred one-piece clothing for winter and onesies for summer for DS until recently when he started walking most of the time (just after his 1st birthday). And as soon as he started cruising (the day he turned 8 months) I got him soft-sole shoes for outdoors use. He was barefoot (or in socks) indoors since that's best for when they learn to walk. PJs that have feet are still our favorite. The Children's Place makes them in bigger sizes, up to 36 months I believe.

We had a bunch of shorts and onesie style tops for DS when he was about 6 months. We no longer buy tops with snaps between the legs since DS is partly potty trained.

So go ahead and enjoy dressing your little sweeting.

Elena

Daniel 11/27/2003

AbbieF
01-25-2005, 06:37 AM
I think its all about what you prefer. Personally I was overwhelmed with a new baby and DD has always screamed when her clothes were changed, even now at 9 mo. So I just couldn't handle it and onesies seemed easiest. We did get a lot of clothing gifts and so I tried to get some wear out of those, but when I bought for her I mostly bought onesies. I probably started around 4-5 mths to buy pants and overalls for her and this nasty little clothing habit progressed. I did/do love some of the one piece shortalls or rompers they are great. I found that as she started to scootch herself around she was aware of the waistbands. I wouldn't say it gave her trouble, but it hasn't been her favorite, so leggings and soft pants seem better.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

sdbc
01-25-2005, 06:58 AM
We started Rory in real clothes mainly at the 6-12 mark. I also wanted to add that non-footed pajamas with socks will last you longer, since with the feet, as soon as they are a tad bit long you have to get rid of them. Some socks are better than others at staying on. The ones that worked best for us are the Trumpette socks. A friend got us a set of "the perfect little dozen." We have also used Children's place, which we like, but don't stay on quite as well. The cheapo ones at Walmart were awful.

BTW, with socks, be sure to get ones with rubber traction on the bottoms.

parkersmama
01-25-2005, 07:52 AM
I never dressed my babies in pjs/footed sleepers exclusively so I guess right from the beginning. LOL! I started doing "outfits" right away (just my preference).

I think you'll definitely be wanting some outfits rather than pjs by this summer. Particularly one-piece outfits are great at the age that he'll be then. In summertime, my babies just went barefoot. If he wears socks and kicks them off, the easiest solution is to have him wear Robeez or similar baby shoes over them. That really helps keep the socks on!

vpalmer
01-25-2005, 08:27 AM
I dressed Eva mostly in PJ's for the first 6 weeks. After that we progressed on to outfits many of which were rompers and one piece outfits, although we did have a few shirt and shorts outfits as well. I would say to get whatever outfits you like from Land's End. I find that a good mix of outfit types is good.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

Little Ladybug
01-25-2005, 10:07 AM
I dressed Patrick in footed sleepers for the first two months or so, and then I started mixing in a few pairs of overalls and some rompers. That way he looked "dressed" for the day, but he was still comfortable. Last summer he went barefoot most of the time, or wore Robeez (he didn't start walking until the fall). He still doesn't wear many shirts/pants ensembles (lots of overalls and longalls), but that's a function of my style preference and his skinny little body (pants fall off of him!) HTH!

KBecks
01-25-2005, 12:17 PM
At the 3 mo mark, we prefer sleepers, and I expect to prefer them for the next couple months too.

June Mommy
01-25-2005, 01:11 PM
For us, it always depended on the occasion. DS was a summer baby and when he was born, it was usually onesies around the house, gowns to sleep in, and outfits when we went out (I've always liked one-piece outfits like rompers, longalls, overalls.) Once he outgrew gowns and it started getting cooler, we went to Carter's type sleepers around the house and TCP PJ's to sleep in, and still outfits when we go out. I still don't buy a lot of pants/shirts type outfits, though. I feel like DS is more comfortable in one-piece outfits. Luckily, its pretty easy to find cute rompers/longalls and overalls w/onesie shirts. I don't take DS out in just a sleeper unless he's just going to my mom's for her to babysit or something. Just my preference, though!

JLiebCamm
01-25-2005, 04:27 PM
My DS was born jst a day after yours in 2002 so they would be on the same clothing time line. He wore sleepers until the end of spring/beginnning of summer. At that point I dressed him most freqently in rompers that snapped at the crotch. He rarely wore shirts/shorts because I didn't like the way they rode up on him. He did have some cute shortalls too. On his feet I liked soft shoes like Robeez or Shoo-Shoos (if you're not familiar with them try a pair; you will love them!). Once fall hit he started wearing overalls and one piece outfits (without feet) alot.

HoneymoonBaby
01-25-2005, 10:19 PM
I never put Ian in sleepers for daywear. He was born in summertime and I let him go in just a diaper most of the time, and if we went out, I put him in rompers that didn't look like sleepwear and tiny sandals from Janie and Jack.

As it got cooler, I started dressing him in jeans and printed t-shirts, and now it's jeans or cords and sweaters. He's always been dressed like a little boy. Overalls are big in our house, too.

C99
01-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Again, I think this depends on your preference. At 6-7 months old, I found that I didn't like the shorts and a t-shirt look for my Nathaniel, because he was in cloth diapers and the top of the shorts would roll into the top of the diaper. He's primarily worn 1-piece rompers in summer for the past 2 summers. When Nate started really crawling, that's about the time that I switched from primarily 1-piece clothing (union suits, coveralls, etc.) to 2-piece clothing or outfits, w/ a onesie undershirt underneath. I also found that I didn't like "rough" or stiff fabrics on him until he was walking reliably; he wore a lot of Babystyle or Hanna Andersson or Zutano-type cotton knit pants.

writeleigh
01-26-2005, 12:34 AM
Liam began wearing more actual outfits once he was more mobile. Probably around 6-8 months. And once he began walking, then definitely. Liam will only leave socks on if there are shoes over them. He hates socks. For the in-between time, when he was not walking, but crawling, and I wanted his feet covered, I used a soft Robeez-type bootie.