PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone feel guilty about all the returns/exchanges they do?

jennifer_r
01-28-2005, 08:28 AM
A couple of days ago, I went to Gymboree to return 6 pieces of clothes and bought a few pieces from WFF and still they credited me w/about $11. Felt really guilty about the whole thing even though the sales staff were friendly towards me. Does anyone else feel this way or ist it just me?

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif (http://gynosaur.com/bf_ribbons.php) 5 months and counting!

Sherry
01-28-2005, 09:07 AM
I feel guilty too! My SA's are always friendly too, but I still feel bad. I don't feel guilty when I return to places like Target, but Gymboree I do. Don't know why.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-28-2005, 10:27 AM
I buy from the store near home and return things to the store near work. It's a tier 3 and they never have much that I want to buy anyway.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

egoldber
01-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Nope, not one bit. I buy and return all the time. Its part of a retail store cost of doing business. I would feel guilty about doing it at a small mom and pop type store, but not at a huge chain like Gymbo.

jvorhis
01-28-2005, 11:38 AM
I have the same problem. I buy things on my lunch break (tend to rush around) for DD and when I get them home realize they don't work for us or DH does not care for them. So for that reason I tend to return a lot. I have had some problems with a SA at my tier 1 being rude. Last time I went to return stuff I made DH take me to the Gymbo 45 minutes away :-)

daniele_ut
01-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't feel guilty at all. I often buy stuff for myself without trying it on when I am in a hurry and return it if it doesn't work. I do the same thing with DS's clothes. I just seem to change my mind a lot!

pritchettzoo
01-28-2005, 11:53 AM
As long as I'm not doing anything unethical/illegal (switching tags or something), I don't feel guilty in a Gymbo-type store. If they didn't play games with all their promotions and just offered their stuff at a good price to begin with, it would save everyone time and hassle. :)

Also, as I understand it, the SAs aren't commissioned, so you aren't taking money out of their pockets either.

Anna

karin4
01-28-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't feel guilty at all. I buy things, take them home and try them on, and if I don't like for whatever reason, I bring 'em back. That's why stores have return policies!

I do try to make returns fairly promptly, though-- I would feel a bit guilty bringing something back months later even when the return policy would allow it. So many stores have become so limited in what they'll accept for return and for how long that I want to encourage stores with more generous policies to stay that way, and I feel that making my returns promptly, and with receipts, is the best way I can do that. Of course I know there are times that returns must be made months later, esp. for children's clothes retailers-- like when something is bought for a not-yet-born baby who turns out to be the "wrong" gender, or too big or whatever, or even when something is just forgotten in a drawer-- but I do try to make it as much of a no-loss situation for the store as possible.

jubilee
01-28-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't feel bad at all. Most of my returns are because of poor fit- waist too big, etc. I'd probably eliminate returns to gymbo if they had a fitting room and I could try them on there! The one time I felt bad about a return it was to Children's Place- I bought two Christmas sweaters, and they basically fell apart during the first wearing- I went to return them and the sales associate talked me into exchanging them for the same thing. Later I went back and returned them because I was concerned it would happen again and I think it somehow hurt her feelings... so I did feel bad about that.

momtoemma
01-28-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't feel guilty either. Being able to return something I've changed my mind about later is the very reason I shop at many of the places I do.

daniele_ut
01-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Oh, something I forgot! I was at the OshKosh Outlet last week looking for clearance stuff for L for next winter and wasn't sure whether to get 12mo or 18 mo size and the sales girl said that if I kept the receipt I could return it NEXT winter if it didn't fit. They promptly got my money! I picked up a cute pair of corduroy overalls with plaid flannel lining and a red corduroy jacket with toggle buttons (just like Paddington's coat)and matching lining for $25

I also noticed that the receipt from the Old Navy outlet for the $5.00 overalls I got said that there is no time limit on returns as long as the tag is attached. Like the pp I like to return things in a timely manner, but when buying for next winter I want to make sure that I don't waste any money if I sized wrong!

Mommyto3
01-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Personally, I feel that they bring it on themselves..there is ALWAYS a new sale, a deeper discount..latest incentive, etc. That is why I have stopped shopping at Gymbo altogether. I got so tired of chasing the latest sale and better price, who needs it?? I have 3 kids and work full time, I can't be bothered playing the Gymbo game. I haven't bought since CAAB. I know that they've had some cute things, but I stay away...my mom gave Ava an adorable outfit for Christmas, and gave me 2 gymbucks..I never used them..didn't even look.

I have to imagine, that because of the way that they do business, that they have lots of returns/exchanges..don't worry, sleep easy!!!

HoneymoonBaby
01-29-2005, 10:20 PM
>Personally, I feel that they bring it on themselves..there is
>ALWAYS a new sale, a deeper discount..latest incentive, etc.
>That is why I have stopped shopping at Gymbo altogether. I
>got so tired of chasing the latest sale and better price, who
>needs it?? I have 3 kids and work full time, I can't be
>bothered playing the Gymbo game. I haven't bought since CAAB.
> I know that they've had some cute things, but I stay
>away...my mom gave Ava an adorable outfit for Christmas, and
>gave me 2 gymbucks..I never used them..didn't even look.
>
>I have to imagine, that because of the way that they do
>business, that they have lots of returns/exchanges..don't
>worry, sleep easy!!!

I don't play the game either, but I still shop there. I just visit the website when someone posts that a new line is out, and then once or twice a week in between to check prices. When something I want falls to a price I'm willing to pay, I snatch it up. I don't usually return anything, and I don't visit the store because it's tooooooo crowded even in the middle of the day. The only baby clothing store I enjoy visiting is Janie and Jack because it's always deserted and they have lots of stuff on their sale racks. Oh, and Target and the consignment store. I like those, too.

jamierush
01-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Not really, because i generally just have to return or excahnge a few items. In fact I think I have only returned 6 things total in teh last 8 months.

But honestly I check GR for sales info and such but I can't get into the whole PA return/rebuy thing...Too much work/time/energy for me. I generally just buy what i want at a good sale and that is it.