PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan my attack on the consignment store!

Sillygirl
01-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Here in my hometown, we have a children's consignment store that is open twice a year for one week only. They carry tons of clothes and lots of other baby stuff. I stopped by when I was eight months pregnant this summer and picked up lots of great deals, like a Gymini playmat for $25 and the My Brest Friend pillow for $15. However, the clothing thing was kind of intimidating - I didn't know what I'd need, or how to evaluate which were good deals.

Well, now that Jonathan has arrived, the store is opening again next month. Jonathan is now wearing mostly 6-9 month sizes; he's probably about 18 pounds and maybe 26 inches long. I'd like to get clothes for him for the next six months, but again, I don't have a great idea of what I need.

I'd like to go in with a list: so many pairs of pants, so many T-shirts, so many one piece suits, etc. I'd also like to have maybe five or six brand names in mind (I already know from lurking here that HA should be one of them!) This store is a zoo of bargain-hunters, so I need to be able to grab up potential pieces quickly off a rack.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

MelissaTC
01-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Here is a link to a thread awhile back on consignment sale strategies. Hope this helps!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=8&topic_id=32348&mesg_id=32348&listing_type=search

mommd
01-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Is it called "One Week Boutique"? Just curious since we have that here, in April and September. Last year I got tons of Gymbo and Hanna really cheap!

I had an early shopping pass for volunteers (I bought some paper), and I went straight to the clothes. It all depends on what you need. I will head straight to the size she will wear in the summer, since it is supposed to be summer clothes.

I would try to stick with better brands since they last longer. I went with Gap, Gymboree, Hanna and some BT kids. Look for any boutique brands, you never know what you'll find. I stayed away from brands I knew came from Walmart or Kmart just because I've had bad experiences with those things, but stuff from Target was OK too.

Have you seen the clothing roster that's floating around the board somewhere? It may give you a better idea of what you need. Good luck!

Sillygirl
01-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks so much - that was a great link. I wish I could take one of those big mesh bags that Old Navy has for shoppers - that would be perfect!