PDA

View Full Version : Wish Upon a Star?

June Mommy
01-29-2005, 07:41 PM
I saw this brand was mentioned in the smocking thread below, and I am intrigued. I had never heard of it and searched online and all I could find were some things for sale on ebay. Looks really cute! Do they have a website? Is it a home-show clothing line like Kelly's Kids, etc.? I need more information!!

stewmom
01-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Well, I just went to a trunk show today and this is what I learned. Wish Upon a Star is a New Orleans company with one store. The factory is in N.O. also so the items are U.S. made. They are mostly sold through home shows, and their goal is to offer affordable smocked or monogrammed customizable children's apparel. From what I saw the prices started in the mid-$30's before customization, so finished products run $10-$20 less than Orient Expressed. Beaux et Belles is usually higher than both.

Quality seemed good, especially for the beautiful lined linen fabrics. Blue, silver-grey, mint, pink - just great. They also have a full line of cottons and blends in solids, ginghams, mini-ginghams, some gorgeous spring/summer plaids, and a couple of prints - I don't think any of those were lined. All were supposedly washable and dryable. Two full pages of smocking plates to choose from, some familiar themes and some new and different. Not the tightest or most elaborate smocking I've ever seen, but very nice and good colors. All the standard shapes - rompers, bubbles, jon-jons, collared jon-jons, two-piece sets, and the usual array of dresses. Basics like peter-pan collar shirts also available. In addition to the regular monograms there are some cute options with embroidery on either side of the name.

One option I especially liked was that some of the outfits can be ordered with a button-on decorative tab on the front for a removable/changeable monogram or design. Sizing is fairly true to size, similar to OE, and I noticed that the boys' rompers had snaps (covered by a fabric panel) instead of buttons at the crotch. And most of the boys' items had faux belts that buttoned halfway across the back, rather than the full-across loose belt on OE.

I managed to limit myself to only two outfits for DS but it was difficult to choose. :-) The smocking designs were fun but the fabrics were really appealing. There was a terrific turquoise swirl print that you could get matching fabric buttons for - made me wish I had a little girl too!

I couldn't find a working website (supposed to be www.childrenclothing.net?) but you could try contacting the store at:

Wish Upon A Star
(504) 828-6453
747 Veterans Memorial Blvd.
Metairie, LA 70005

HTH,

Sam (mom to Stewart 8-15-03)

Kimberly H
01-30-2005, 07:22 AM
>There was a terrific
>turquoise swirl print that you could get matching fabric
>buttons for - made me wish I had a little girl too!

Ooo, now turquoise is one of Mia's best colors, I'm on an *affordable* smocked dress hunt and I think I'm going to have to hunt this one down.

Anyone have a different website?