PDA

View Full Version : Hats

Nicodemus
01-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi,
Do you know where I can buy high quality and well-fitting hats that have wide brims. I have my son outside frequently and the sun really bothers him. He is 6 months old. I do wear sunglasses on him but I'd also like to use a hat. Most of the ones that I have don't fit him well and the brims are not log and wide enough to really shade him from the sun. Please and thanks!

Diane

JLiebCamm
01-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Hanna Andersson has great sunhats. Gap and Old Navy had the same style of sunhats last year but I don't think they've put them out yet this year.

C99
01-30-2005, 10:20 PM
I really like the sunhats from Hanna Andersson. They have a strap that ties under the chin, which is important when your child reaches the age/stage where the hat either falls off or he pulls it off. Works much better than the velcro straps, IMO.

naomi01
01-31-2005, 12:54 AM
My son has a mild form of albinism so we are very sun-conscious too - although really everyone needs to be! To be honest, my favorite hats we have were sent by my mother from Australia (there they are known as Legionaire's - they have a long neck flap). When he lost his Australian hat last year I bought a very cute one with a wide brim from Gap, which we loved. I have also seen the Legionaire's style (although not as long) on www.kidsurplus.com (last night) and one step ahead.

Another place to try is www.buvfree.com (a friend's relative runs this - I have only browsed but the swimsuits and hats look lovely). They have some rather pricy full sleeved suits and swim hats with flaps. They also sell a product which increases the UV protection of your regular clothing. It sounds like a gimmick but a friend who is a dermatologist said she'd heard it works so we are going to try it this year. Good luck!

Naomi

DS 12/02/02
DD 10/18/04

brubeck
01-31-2005, 10:39 AM
I actually like the velcro better than the ties since my kids always pulled off the ties in about 3 seconds. It took them longer to learn how to pull off the velcro and by that time they were more used to hats.

That being said, I do agree that Hanna has the nicest hats if you want ties. If you want velcro go with Gap or Old Navy. Theirs are especially nice because they have multiple sizes for under 1 year old so you can get a good fit.

I have also had some good luck with Gymboree velcro hats.

HTH!

Java
01-31-2005, 05:55 PM
The Hanna ones are cotton and it seems "heavy" (if that makes any sense). I'm looking for a light weight nylon hat that would dry fast if wet and is light and cool for Kael's head in the sun.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

(I'm so glad you started this topic!)

fauve01
02-02-2005, 03:43 AM
DD inherited my Irish skin, so we have a ton of hats. my favorite is this one i got from One Step Ahead:
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27235/713/117.html

it doesn't have a tie, but i just bought some ribbon and sewed one on myself (very easy).

BTW, DD also has the one-piece sun suit, and the long- and short-sleeved t-shirts made out of SPF fabric from OSA. we really like them.

we also have and like the hats from Gap and Old Navy.

HTH!

Anne + DD 10-03

AbbieF
02-02-2005, 06:55 AM
I bought a hat last year at Target that was like nylon and made out of spf material with a pretty wide brim. It's made by I play,and they had fun prints. Here's their link:
http://www.iplaybabywear.com/products/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?category=Safe_In_The_Sun
Also look under each selection of print suits, you'll find more hats.
When I searching to see if I could find their site I saw this link:
http://store.yahoo.com/coolibar/index.html
they are recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation.

HTH

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04