PDA

View Full Version : AAAAAH! Jonathan washed an orange sweater with Hannas!

Marisa6826
01-30-2005, 10:38 PM
And it bled everywhere. It was that Giraffe sweater from Garnet Hill.

He threw it in with all the other baby wash and my nursing bra (including two Hanna zippers) and then he dried it without looking.

I'm hoping Oxyclean comes to the rescue.

Any suggestions?

-m

macassi
01-30-2005, 10:41 PM
I've actually had better luck with Clorox 2 for getting bleeding colors out. I do it like Oxyclean and put some in hot water and let it soak in it.

I've heard people recommend those color catchers that you throw in the wash, but I don't know if you can use them after the fact.

I used to use vinegar, but then I couldn't decide if vinegar was supposed to be used for setting the color or taking the color away... and I stopped. I swear the one time I washed a pair of overalls over and over using Clorox 2 and vinegar and it worked.

Hope you can get it out! I've actually found that while Hannas might never perfectly recover, they fair amazingly well at getting the bleeding out.

JLiebCamm
01-30-2005, 10:59 PM
My DH pulls these kind of stunts and I'm convinced it's his way of getting out of doing laundry. I don't have any suggestions for you but I hope it comes out!

Marisa6826
01-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Marci-

I just looked and what I have is Clorox Oxygen Action. I don't think I can throw in the Clorox 2 as well, so if the first try doesn't work, I'll do that next.

-m

naomi01
01-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Once I saw a "color run" product... but although I have looked I have never been so blessed as to find it again. What I do like is a product by Shout (I think) its called "color catcher" - it comes in a box near the stain stuff. I try to include a sheet of that with all my colored and new wash - sometimes I include 2-3 sheets if there is something I am particularly worried about (eg a striped shirt with white and dark stripes). It certainly wouldn't hurt to try a sheet after-the-fact with a run although I offer no guarantees. As I said, I don't even just save it for new things because some dark things leak for many many washes and it is relatively cheap and definitely comes out colored after the wash (so there must be dyes floating around). One tip - there is often a 75 cent coupon inside the box on the flap (the one you throw out) - you can just use that when you buy it so you don't need to worry about bringing it in next time. Good luck!

Naomi

deborah_r
01-31-2005, 01:12 AM
I would also recommend keeping some of those "Color Catchers" around to "DH-proof" the laundry! I use them whenever I suspect something might bleed and I think they work pretty well!

tx_mom
01-31-2005, 10:54 AM
Whenever I have had something that bled, I soak it in Biz. It is sold in the detergent aisle in a blue box with orange and white lettering and has directions on the box for how to soak items. I have had this work for Hannas; I had to soak the christmas green/white stripe zipper because the red cuffs bled onto the green and white stripes and it all came out. HTH.