PDA

View Full Version : do you think you save money by buying a season ahead?

ehmom
02-02-2005, 12:42 AM
i've bought a few things on sale for next fall/winter. do you bargain experts think this really saves you money in the long run? or, do you usually end up buying more when new lines come out? i'm trying to decide whether this is a good strategy or not.
thanks,em

JLiebCamm
02-02-2005, 08:10 AM
This is a good question because I have always been a bargain shopper and tried to apply this to kids' clothes. But what I've found is that DS always ends up with too many clothes between the things I've bought ahead, presents from the grandmas, and new lines that I love. So in the long run, I'm not sure that I'm really doing anything cost effective. Here would be my recommendations to you (and to myself!).
1) Buy basics ahead if they're a great price, like PJs, onesies, jeans, socks, etc. In other words, the things that look the same year to year anyways.
2) Before you buy any current lines at a bargain price, ask yourself if you'd still buy the outfit if not lured in by the concept of a sale (in other words, if the sale price was actually the retail price, would you still be as into the item?). If you wouldn't, you probably shouldn't buy it.
3) Avoid buying separate pieces of a line that don't look that great on their own. I've found that when I don't buy things as outfits, I have a hard time matching it up and getting proper wear out of it later on, unless it looks good with jeans or something basic.
4) Be more liberal when buying things from places with good return policies and keep the receipts organized. Old Navy has a short return policy, so I'm very careful when buying from there. The Gap is much more liberal so I often take advantage of their sales. I just returned shoes from there that I bought last April!

Hope this helps!

parkersmama
02-02-2005, 10:03 AM
I have found that it's not very economical for me personally. If I buy things ahead, I still end up buying from new lines and end up with *way* too many clothes. The only place that I really buy ahead from now is Hanna. And even then I only buy the classic pieces (zippers, long johns, playdresses) since I know I won't be tired of them when the new season rolls around.

Jessica had some really great advice for you. I don't really have anything to add! :)

LucyG
02-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Yes and no. I have found that most of the things that I buy ahead end up being my favorite clothes for her (because I loved them so much to begin with!). But, as others have said, it's way too easy to end up with too many clothes. I am trying to limit what I buy ahead, because I know that there will always be cute new stuff out that I'll want. But, if I really love something and can make a reasonable guess on the size, I do buy ahead. I try to limit myself to better brands that can be returned or sold if she can't wear them when the time comes.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
23 months and counting!

AvasMama
02-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Um, I don't really *save* money -- as Denise and others said, I also end up with WAY too many clothes, though I think that would happen regardless. But, I also rarely regret my purchases. I have a couple of rules I try to follow (key word there is try!).

1. Buy only on sale, preferably clearance. That way I'm not tying up $ that I could use for other things. And I know I got a good deal if I don't end up liking the outfit as much later on or it doesn't fit.

2. Buy only brands that can be returned indefinitely and/or sold on eBay or the loops for what I paid. I only buy ahead from Hanna, Janie & Jack, Talbots Kids, Gap, Naartjie and Gymboree. All but Gymbo and Naartjie have indefinite return policies, and those two brands are easy to sell if the outfit doesn't work. Buying only on sale means I can almost always make back as much as or more than I paid.

3. I am not always good about this last one, but I try to only buy one year ahead at most. I have bought a few on my favorite things in multiple sizes, but they tend to be things that can be worn year round (jumpers, lightweight cardigans, etc.) so they will fit eventually.

Robyn & Ava

Momof3Labs
02-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Yes, I most definitely have. But I stick with stuff that I can always resell (I sold a bunch of winter stuff off last fall, since I bought too much, and didn't lose much money) or that have a very good return policy. Whether I can resell something is a combination of price and brand - people will pay more for good brands, but if I get a cute shirt for $2, I can probably recoup that, too.

I focus on Hanna Andersson and Lands End primarily, but also grab a few things off of my Kohl's clearance racks - like turtlenecks for $2 this year, and such. I started keeping track of what I buy so that I focus on the areas where we don't have much. For example, we are set on pajamas for next year (got fleece 2-pc sets at Kohl's for $5/set) but don't have too many winter tops.

jk3
02-02-2005, 11:11 AM
IMO it's much, much easier to shop ahead for a boy. I've done pretty well stocking up on basics: turtlenecks, khakis, jeans, sweatshirts. etc. Since my DS will be going to school in the fall I'm buying ahead to plan for this since he will need playclothes. For next fall/winter I've purchased ahead during some of the latest sales at Gymbo, J + J + Hanna. I think using this a strategy works well depending on your personality. I know there will be other cute items next fall + spring so I buy ahead for about half of my DS's clothing.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

lrucci
02-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Umm, probably not. I end up buying ahead when things go on sale, but then I just buy more when the new lines come out. I am trying really hard not to buy ahead anymore unless I really *LOVE* it and it is from a store with an indefinite return policy.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

kransden
02-02-2005, 01:31 PM
I can get some killer clearance at my local gymbos. Splash anyone? :)
I buy summer clothes with abandon because the fit is so much more forgiving. I have learned not to buy long sleeved items or pants because of the fit issue. I do buy gymbo leggings because big doesn't matter since they stretch so much.

I discovered some turtlenecks are too tight to get over my dd's head - so check those. I have gotten great clearance this time of year at dept stores too.

Also it depends on what you plan on doing with your bargains. If I can get leggings for 3.00 a pop - sure, but how many cute dresses does my dd need even if they are only 9.99? She doesn't wear dresses that much, but she wears legging 3 seasons. Since gymbo recycles their colors I often have a match for next year's line. I have Folk Song leggings that went perfectly with the Apries(sp?)Ski line.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

daniele_ut
02-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I definitely save money this way. I am pretty disciplined about it and I won't generally buy clothes for DS unless they are on sale. I spent $25 on clearance stuff at a local department store last summer and got 12 outfits for DS for this summer. They are all shorts, shortalls and shirts that will mix and match. I bought onesies ahead when they were on clearance at Sears, and jammies with a coupon from the Children's place. That, combined with gifts we have received means that he is set for the summer.

I *have* picked up a few things from Gymboree for him to wear now, but they were all on clearance. I haven't seen much that is TDF in the boys stuff, anyway. That may change at some point, but for now, I am not entranced enough by any of the new lines to buy anything unless it is a great deal.

sntm
02-02-2005, 04:09 PM
I think I do overall, or at least end up with better quality of clothes for the same total amount of money. Again, a boy, but I am less likely to buy basics and more likely to buy complete outfits. My biggest difficulty is overbuying in one area -- like too many tops, not enough pants. I actually rarely find jeans, etc, on a good enough sale to buy ahead, and Hanna totally was out of pants in the sizes I needed for next year. Sizing hasn't been a problem, really, though I like clothes to be on the big side.

85-90% of Jack's wardrobe this winter was bought last year. I've also covered this spring, this summer, next winter and have a few tops for summer 2006.

I'm also going to be less able to bargain shop next year due to time constraints, though, and I didn't want to leave the shopping up to DH.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 19 months and count

jpang
02-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Yes, I think I also save by buying ahead. I bought most of DD's winter wardrobe for this year during the clearance sales in January 2003. The Lands End stuff from Sears turned out to be an incredible value-- pants for $4 that she's worn many many times, turtlenecks for $3. For me, especially since I work almost fulltime, it makes it easier for me once the season starts, because I don't have to go out right away and buy things for her.

I've been lucky with the sizing so far... she's roughly right where should be. Also, I don't buy that much from new lines when I already have things. She had a total of 4 gymboree outfits that I bought this fall/winter from current lines when they went on sale, and maybe two pairs of jeans from Baby Gap. Not much else.

Remembering what I've bought is essential to saving money. I make sure to bring out the already purchased clothes before the season begins and take a look at her clothing roster. I've decided for next winter to buy ahead, but maybe buy a little less, so that I can have more fun shopping the current lines next fall/winter.

I do think I'm becoming a better shopper as time goes on... that I'm overbuying much less. Pretty soon DD will be telling me what she does and does not want, and then it'll be much easier.
;-)

stefani
02-02-2005, 07:53 PM
I bought a few things ahead for this fall / winter, but I ended up missing the size. I thought that DS would wear size 18 months, but when Fall came, he was still in size 12 month mostly. So I ended up going out and buying Fall/ Winter clothes in 12 month size. Now he starts to wear a couple of the 18 month, but still a few that is too big (especially pants).

This might get better as he gets older since he won't change size as frequently.

Right now I buy a few things ahead, but only if the price is really good, I really like it, or I can resell it.

writeleigh
02-02-2005, 08:59 PM
My experiences have been similar to Karin and Stefani. I bought ahead last year, but ended up being wrong about size and my tastes for boy's clothing changed a bit too. Luckily, the things I bought were on *major* clearance, so Liam can still wear them for play clothing. It's easier for me to buy closer to the actual season because then I know what size Liam will need.

Even when buying closer to the actual season, I usually buy items on sale. Sometimes I induldge in a few full-price items if it's in the budget and I absolutely love something.

C99
02-03-2005, 12:01 AM
I generally do not get into the whole "lines" thing, so I think I save money. I do lose money when I buy pieces that are outside of normal color schemes and have to find something that matches.

I think I probably end up about even. If I didn't buy ahead, I probably wouldn't buy as many "nicer" brands and would have to get most of Nate's things at Target or Carter's and let my MIL fill in the rest.

LoveMyBabyBeans
02-03-2005, 05:54 AM
Buying ahead does not save me money because I always ending up wanting the newest Season's stuff too. That's not to say I don't ever do it, but it certainly doesn't save me any money.

Kimberly H
02-03-2005, 06:11 AM
So far Mia's growth has been too erratic to really be able to predict what size she'll be a year ahead. She's 2 and wears a 3 on top, 2-3 on bottom which is big for the stereotypical Chinese girl. Dresses, sure - the fit is forgiving and I would size up a little anyway because she has a large ribcage. Pants, never - she's tough to fit as it is and not knowing when she'll potty train makes it near to impossible to buy more than this season.

I did buy her two formal dresses for our December cruise on sale last month and her Easter and summer dresses on clearance last fall. Again, at deep, DEEP discount and in season-spanning styles so most can be worn in early fall if not this summer.

And like most everyone else, I like to shop in-season too so buying ahead just means I buy more. Kind of like when I was done Christmas shopping in October one year and yet still see cute things - my kids were sick of opening gifts long before they were all open!

Today will be my first experience in reselling clothes. I'm going to the fairly new Once Upon a Child to see what they'll give me for a few nicer, but not Gymbo or the good stuff, items. We have only one other children's consignment shop in town and they require you make an appointment at least a month in advance. Hello? I'm a frequent eBay buyer, but never a seller. DH has sold but it's too intimidating to me - I don't like the post office as it is. ;)