PDA

View Full Version : How do you store pony-tail holders?

cinrein
02-02-2005, 08:36 AM
You know what I mean, all those little circles of elastic or terry-covered elastic. We must have 50 of them to match every possible outfit. How do you store them so that you can easily find the match? I thought about threading them onto one of those long key-chain like chains, but I suspect the pair I want will always be in the middle of the row.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

sugarsnappea
02-02-2005, 08:48 AM
I just saw this idea in Real Simple. I think I might order these from the container store. They are available in tons of colors.
http://tinyurl.com/4mb97 There are also hinged acrylic ones, where you can see all the contents.

brigmaman
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Very sophistocated here...I have mine on the back of my bathroom door nob. ;) Not 50- more like 25.

zuzu
02-02-2005, 08:52 AM
I don't know if I can explain this well, but if you use a circular chain, you can just slide the pair you want near the opening and unfasten the chain to remove it. Also, we have some lucite containers (ETA: I guess they're acrylic) from the Container Store with hinged lids that are divided into any number of sections (depending on the size of the container) that might work for you.

We're starting accumulate the holders too, so I look forward to additional suggestions.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

ainwonderland
02-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Another "sophiscicated" system over here....

We use the clear Gerber Fruit plastic containers (that 9 month Max eats) and store them by color. So if she's wearing a red outfit I grab the red container and make a choice from there, and so on. Most of her hair thingies are either small barrettes (like alligator clips) or pontytail holders so we don't need alot of space for BIG bows or anything, and the Gerber containers seem just right for us....now. As our collection grows or if we move into the BIG BOW arena then we might need to "upgrade" to Gladware or something :-)

parkersmama
02-02-2005, 09:59 AM
My system isn't too sophisticated either and will probably need some adjusting. I keep the tiny rubber bands in an old face powder thing...all the colors are just mixed together and I pull out the ones I need. I have a clear round acrylic container with a lid that all the barrettes are in (like the cheapy plastic clips and the Gymbo barrettes). And then the curly bows and other bows are in an over-the-door shoe hanger on the inside of her closet door. Also in the shoe hanger are shoes!, hats, suede brush, and any other small things that need a place to go.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-02-2005, 11:41 AM
I have three metal boxes a little smaller than lunch boxes. One has ponytail holders, one has plastic barrettes, and one has metal barrettes. That is the only sorting I have done.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

lrucci
02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Another very sophicticated system, we use plastic baggies. I don't have a lot of pony-tail holders though. We mainly have barrettes and I have all those in a basket. I keep meaning to organize them better, but just haven't had a chance.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

Samraelanelevi
02-02-2005, 12:28 PM
NOt too sophisticated here either! We have the small plastic clear pony holders in ziplocs (snack size) one bag in each bathroom. Then for her barrettes we have a Strawberry shotcake box that they sit in on her dresser. For her cloth covered pony holders we have a plastic basket in the bathroom drawer and just dig for the colors we need (we rarely wear these type anymore). Then we have a 3 tiered wooden jewelery box that I use specifically for Gymboree matching hair accessories. For her bows I have 2 bow holders. I plan to make another bow holder for her barrettes as there are getting to be too many for the SS box. Of course I ahve 2 girls and with one being 6 and the other 4 we have accumulated too many hair things!

kaitlinsmommy
02-02-2005, 04:43 PM
We also use the snack-size ziplocks for elastics & pony holders. I put all her nice barettes & bows in an old Clinique makeup bag I couldn't figure out what to do with. Nothing fancy.

Kimberly H
02-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Here's Mia's set-up:

Top lifts up for spriggles - otherwise known as scrunchies
Slots in the back hold her Sassy brush/comb in one slot, detangler and other brush in the 2nd.
Top drawer - clippees
2nd drawer - barrettes
3rd drawer - small bright/dark bows with alligator clips
4th drawer - small light/white bows with alligator clips
5th drawer - Gymboree doodads (this needs another drawer)
6th drawer - tiny ponytail holders (elastic and those ouchless rubber ones)
7th drawer - those ponytail holders with *things* on the ends, like balls or hearts
8th drawer - other things that don't fit the first few categories

It's really 2 drawer sets and I love it! Made by Rubbermaid and purchased from Wal*Mart. Her bigger bows hang on a ribbon from the 3-peg shelf just to the right of the drawers.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20969.jpg

caleymama
02-02-2005, 07:48 PM
We have something similar, but not quite as elaborate because DD doesn't have as many hair things. We have one of these three-drawer chests by Sterilite (from Walmart also): http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=144. Either the small or medium. One drawer was for all the various ponytail holders, one drawer for barrettes and small clips, and one drawer for 3 bigger bows and a couple of thin plastic headbands. I say "was" because a favorite way for DD to pass a half an hour is to dump them all out and examine them and I quickly gave up trying to keep them organized since she enjoys it so much. I store her brush and sprays (water and detangler) on top and the whole thing sits on her dresser. Not very pretty, but it was cheap and does the job!

Kimberly H
02-03-2005, 06:17 AM
Liz, I started with one drawer set (the one with the slots on top) and just recently graduated to adding the bottom drawers because her bows were so bulky and getting squished, plus I'm addicted to hair things since she has to wear them every day. ;)

suribear
02-03-2005, 10:55 AM
We have those colorful see-through containers from Ikea, available in their kid's department in a set of two (I think). Barrettes go in one, hair bands in another, etc...

Ikea also sells a container with divided portions. That would also work to organize them!

Kris

tigalig
02-03-2005, 10:34 PM
What great ideas everyone has - I think I need to get organized soon. For now, I use an old prescription bottle to hold the tiny elastic (goody) bands and two clear boxes to keep everything else (somewhat sorted by size of bows). Our collection is growing so I better get moving...