PDA

View Full Version : Shortalls for boys? Just how old is too old?

tigalig
02-02-2005, 12:16 PM
I think we have discussed this before (probably before Christmas sometime), but I'm wondering just how old is too old for a little boy to wear shortalls. I took some of my ds's to the local consignment shop and they told me that they did not have a market for them (guess I live in the wrong place) so I'm going to donate or sell them elsewhere, but I don't know if I should buy any more for this year. He will be four in July, but he's wearing 4 now so I think they still make his size. Any opinions will be appreciated.

TIA

parkersmama
02-02-2005, 04:59 PM
I would say that 4 is pushing the upper limit. I generally stopped bubbles at 1 year, jon-jons at about 3 years, and short-alls (shorts overalls) at about 4. Also, when your child potty trains is definitely a factor since one-piece outfits can get in the way.

AdoptChina
02-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Location has a big impact on this I think...as does personal preference. I wouldn't put them on a 4 yr old....my older boys wore overall/shortall longer than they wore one-piece shortalls (did that make sense? lol)

Im trying to decide if I want the Hanna one piece outfits for DS who will be 2 in June

stefani
02-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi Ida,

I love shortalls, but my DS is almost 17 months. Personally, I think the only reason that I will stop putting shortalls on DS is when he is about to be potty trained.

Little Ladybug
02-02-2005, 07:22 PM
I stopped bubbles for DS at one year, and I'll probably stop jon-jons at around age 3. I'll probably keep him in overalls for a little bit beyond that. I agree that you can do overalls for a little bit longer than jon-jons! Potty training will definitely be a factor in my timeline, though. It will be a sad day when DS outgrows that type of clothes - They are so sweet!

brubeck
02-02-2005, 07:28 PM
I love overalls and shortalls and one pieces. I think they are just fine until you potty train.

naomi01
02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
What's a jon-jon? BTW my son is ready for potty training in the next couple of months and I am going to miss the shortalls - it really makes them look so toddleresque.

Naomi
DS 12/02/02
DD 10/18/04

Mommy_Again
02-02-2005, 11:24 PM
I have been contemplating this myself lately- DS is only 15 months but I wonder if he is getting too old for his jon jons...I hope not because I went on an eBay shopping spree last year and he is stocked up to 4T. I have started putting him in more overalls lately though.

C99
02-02-2005, 11:55 PM
It's another word for a shortall without sleeves. I believe that they are named for the little rompers that John F. Kennedy, Jr. wore while his father was in the White House.

http://www.science-explorer.de/jfk-jfkjr-xl.jpg

Although I generally think of a jon-jon as being something closer to this:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/oneofakindkids_1826_55800649

sweetbasil
02-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Potty training made that decision much easier for us, too! I didn't purchase any more shortalls/jon jons for DS#1 after that (~3 yrs old.)