PDA

View Full Version : Elastic waist pants or not?

cara1
02-06-2005, 10:03 PM
(cross-post to Toddler board). Since DS began potty training at 2 1/2, I'm only putting him in elastic waist pants so that he can pull them down himself. He just got two nice pairs of pants for his 3rd birthday that have flies. He probably wouldn't wear them for at least 6-12 mos. (They're a 3T, and he's still wearing 24 mos/2T in pants). By that time, do you think he could handle doing his own fly? Not sure if I should return them and continue to only use elastic waists. I guess the basic question is, when can a kid (boy) handle his own fly? TIA.

shandrin
02-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Do they have an elastic back>? if so your child can probably pull them up/down without undoing the fly snap/button...i know this is what my 6yo dd does with her jeans.

As to what age can a child handle the zipper on their fly? well again my 6yo can but chooses not too ;) and my almost 9yo certainly can LOL...my youngest he's 4..i don't know as i don't use any jeans w/zippers for him yet, i stick to an all elastic waist just to make life easy :P

HTH :)

lukkykatt
02-07-2005, 09:33 AM
We have pants with flies, but my 5yo still has some trouble with them. Like the PP said, if they have elastic backs he can pull them up and down without undoing the zipper. We've always had a mixture and it has never been a problem. Sometimes you just need to give assistance, which is really not a big deal - and if he is in school, they would assist him too. The pants with zippers and a velcro fastener are much easier than those with zippers and snaps and/or buttons, btw. The velcro ones he can do by himself.

But during the potty training phase, I would just stick to all elastic, btw. Congrats on your potty training! We are still being a little laid back about it with my 2.5 yo...