PDA

View Full Version : Gymbo changing return and PA policies?

parkersmama
02-11-2005, 01:54 PM
I was lurking over at Gymborebel and there is quite a bruhaha over there about Gymboree changing their PA and returns policy.

The current policy is price adjustments within 14 days of purchase and returns in the form of payment (with receipt) within 180 days.

The new policy will only allow 7 days for price adjustments. The new returns policy will do returns in the original form of payment (with receipt) for 60 days and for days 61-180 returns will be receive merchandise credit. Apparently there will be no returns after 180 days (not sure what the current policy says about that).

The big problem with this is the merchandise credits cannot be used when earning or redeeming Gymbucks! So, it's been Gymbuck earning or redemption pretty much all but about 2 weeks out of the last 3 months! Grrr. So when are you supposed to *use* a MC?? A lot of the folks over at GR are angry, too, because they buy things betting on getting a PA within 14 days.

I have been cutting way back on my Gymbo spending lately anyway but this will certainly help to seal the fate. I don't do very many PAs (only if it will be a fairly substantial amount of money) but I do make quite a few returns after 60 days. I sometimes buy things that end up not fitting or I change my mind about the practicality of an item or whether I really like it enough to keep it. :(

What about the rest of you?

tadylkat
02-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Gymboree continues to disappoint me more and more each day. I am so done with that store... okay maybe I will buy an item or two on sale here and there, but no more will it be my "main" store.

khakismom
02-11-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm pretty much agreeing with both of you ladies, Denise and Tara.

I loved that I could return items to Gymbo for at least 6 months, and I did too if there was something that wasn't worn by the middle or end of a season. I want that freedom. That's how I got a few of the spring Hanna stuff for the girls--returning items that we hadn't worn, or changed our mind on, or were too small. I've already stopped buying most of the kids' clothes from Gymbo, and this new policy pretty much solidifies it for me.

At least half of the girls fall/winter wardrobe this past year was from Gymbo but I think is going to change. I suspect an outfit here and there, but nothing like what we did last year.

That's too bad, and very disappinting! x(

zuzu
02-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Grrr. :( Thanks for letting us know, Denise. Not that I buy a ton at Gymboree (though we ended up with a bunch of outfits last fall), but I'll probably be buying even less now. I'd better scour Sarah's drawers and closet to make sure I don't have any returns to make. I hope the new policy is not retroactive--I'm pretty sure I have a few items that are outside the 60 day window that I just haven't gotten around to returning. . .

I'm not wild about Naartjie's 90 day return policy, but their clothes are unique and inexpensive enough for me to break my "rule" of only shopping at places with open or liberal return policies.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

kensjen
02-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Well, I've never really been a gymbo fan...but maybe that is because I have a boy! ;) We all know, their boy's clothing s***ks!

I guess they know that we have all figured out their pricing strategies, and they will do anything to get us to pay full price...or close to it!!

There are plenty of other stores who will happily take our money, without so many rules and gimmicks....

And I agree, no more bad news Denise!! LOL

egoldber
02-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Oh my. I've never really played the Gymbo game, but I loved their 6 month return policy. That would reduce a lot of their appeal for me honestly! I count on being able to return things that I decide later that I don't like or need.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Well if they stop all the silly gimicky sales, then I won't need to make as many returns or do as many PAs.

I hardly buy much there anymore, so it won't matter to me. I got soured on them last summer/fall when I bought the same pair of pants SIX TIMES to get the best price because they kept having sales every weekend. Then I realized how silly that was and did a return of everything I had that still had tags on them and washed my hands of the whole mess.

I've been there twice since then, and I will probably take back some of what I bought.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

jennifer_r
02-11-2005, 04:12 PM
OOOPS! Looks like this was already posted in a different post and I didn't see it:

I, too, was lurking on Gymborebel today and someone posted that J&J will change their returns/PA policy - will match Gymborees new policy. For those prices, you would think that J & J would have a longer return policy - geez, the Gap has a year and they are much cheaper than J & J. That was definitely the benefit of shopping at J & J but now it seems their prices won't reflect their level of customer service.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/url] 5 months and counting!

lrucci
02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I have always thought that all children's clothing stores should have an unlimited time frame for returns. So many people try to buy ahead, even if it's just one season ahead. Kids grow at such unpredictable rates sometimes, that it is just so hard to tell.

I am disappointed about this, but even more so about J&J following suit with this. I guess this will be a good way for me to limit my spending, hmmmm maybe our husbands are behind this.:)

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

urbanmama
02-11-2005, 04:35 PM
I almost posted this same thing a couple of days ago.

I am *very* disappointed by this!! I was already having major issues with Gymboree and this just put the "nail in the coffin" for me. Like several of you said, I will buy the occasional outfit there now, but it definitely won't be my main store anymore.

I'm disappointed, but strangely I feel liberated as well! Now it will be easy to turn my back on Gymboree. I was already working toward that goal, but this just made it REALLY easy!

Oh, by the way, this policy is NOT retroactive. If you bought things before, you still have the 6 month return policy. Of course, I suspect that there will be some SAs that will give you a hard time about it!

lctippins
02-11-2005, 07:07 PM
I had already decided to buy less at Gymbo simply to allow for more diversification in DD's wardrobe, so the policy change won't really influence me. As much as I appreciate retailers who have a liberal return policy, I guess I just don't expect it. From a business standpoint, I can see why it would be detrimental to accept returns long after the season in which the clothing was introduced has ended. If I'm going to return something, it's almost always within 60 days. And I'm okay with a merchandise credit after that since I'll eventually use it anyway.

The PA policy change is a little annoying though. With all their sales and promotions, getting the best deal is like playing Russian roulette! My philosophy going forward is that, if I *really* want something, I'll buy it the first time it's marked down and not look back.

Lisa - Mom to Kendall 6/6/03

ErinP
02-11-2005, 07:23 PM
I wonder if they realize they are making a BIG mistake. They are a children speciality store and babies/kids grow soooo fast. Not to mention they have bathing suits/ summer clothes out right now and it was a blizzard today here in Northern New England with still a few more months of winter cold weather left. And I'm supposed to be a psychic and guess what sizes my kids will be in a few months from now when I actually need the bathing suit and shorts!!!! (And of course when that day does come the store will already have out winter jackets!!!) This is going to to keep MANY customers from spending!!!! Too bad, there girl clothes can be cute!!!

firsttimemommy
02-11-2005, 07:34 PM
I agree with you on everything in your post! (in fact it was like you were inside my head!!) The return policy, while it was ONE of the reasons I enjoyed shopping there, was very generous, so I can't really be angry at them for lowering it.......although maybe 90 days would have been better!!!

I also have a problem with not being able to use a Merchandise Credit during Gymbucks! I had no idea about that! That is just plain ridiculous. Jenna got 2 outfits for her bday that did not fit her, so I returned them WITH a gift receipt and got a MC - fine by me of course since I could easily find something else later. But if I had tried to buy something during Gymbucks and they told me I couldn't use my MC I would have freaked!!!!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY since they have basically had Gymbucks since the new year started!!!! AGH!

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

Vajrastorm
02-11-2005, 11:19 PM
I think this pushes me over an edge I was already approaching.

The sale "games" (especially the FOG/Gymbucks incident) have left an icky taste in my mouth, and this will help push me away. Much to my dh's displeasure, I'm sure. ;)

There are plenty of other clothes out there. (Says the woman who has way more Gymbo than anything else)

Customer service is a big issue for me.

brubeck
02-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I admit it! I might be one of the people they are trying to catch with this new policy.

The 4 times in the last year during Gymbucks earnings I have bought stuff to earn Gymbucks and then returned some of it when redemption was over. It's worked out really well because I end up spending about $30 to earn a Gymbuck (after my returns) and then spend very close to $50 to redeem the Gymbuck.

Now I generally don't do this on purpose (outside of throwing in a pair of socks when I am *thisclose* to another Gymbuck) but usually it's that I get home and realize that I didn't really need whatever it was I bought. And once I did add $10 to my order online to get free shipping, knowing I could return it to a B&M store. So I'm playing the game, but it's within the rules they are setting up.

I suppose if I were really trying to bilk the system I could return my entire Gymbucks earnings purchase after redemption is over, thereby getting my Gymbucks for *free*. And I would guess that there are many Gymfreaks out there that do this.

I guess I'm not the only one. By setting returns at 60 days that makes a VERY small window where you can buy stuff at the beginning of Gymbucks earnings, use the Gymbucks during redemption and then return original items after redemption is over. That whole process is usually 45 days+, right?