PDA

View Full Version : Is black patent leather the traditional easter shoe?

Phoebe
02-23-2005, 11:03 AM
That's what I always thought, but maybe I'm wrong. Last night I was in Target, and they had some cute leather shoes in pink or white (they looked like bear feet knock-offs I think). They were really cute, but I'm looking for shiny black shoes. Is it just me....?

Mary
Daisy 3
Owen 19 months

Niki_n_Abby
02-23-2005, 11:14 AM
We always wear white shoes(or no shoes) with Easter dresses. Black just looks harsh with the white/pastel dresses. Black patent is reserved for winter/holiday. You should be able to find great deals on black patent right now though since spring styles are coming out.

Niki

AdoptChina
02-23-2005, 11:29 AM
When I think Easter I think white or light shoes

alkagift
02-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Patent leather is a traditional spring shoe--couture brings out patent leather for their Spring and Summer lines. Some people use it as a holiday shoe but traditionally it's for warm weather. I have no idea why. I think it's adorable with fancy dresses, but it depends on the dress--if there was any dark trim, it would look super (I'm thinking of my own easter outfit I loved when I was six, white dress with navy piping and navy flowers above the smocking with white tights and black patent mary janes). White patent would also be cute.

Sigh, I have a boy, so I can't shop for patent leather in any case...

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Jeanne
02-23-2005, 11:46 AM
I was always dressed in white shoes for Easter as a child and dress my girls in white shoes as well.

jvorhis
02-23-2005, 11:54 AM
My mother always said white shoes from Easter to Labor Day and black shoes after.

khakismom
02-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I prefer white shoes for Easter, but sometimes if the temperature is so low, white shoes can look out-of-place to me. I also prefer white leather shoes (I buy the girls the Footmates english sandal each summer to wear with dresses). White patent shoes look super dressy to me, and don't seem as versatile as white leather.

But IMHO, black patent shoes (MJs esp.) are a classic and can be worn any time of year.

writeleigh
02-23-2005, 12:09 PM
I always think of black patent as coming out in spring. But I've definitely seen it in winter too (with holiday outfits). Now a days it's probably okay at either time of year.

Phoebe
02-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Maybe I will go for white this year; she certainly would get more wear out of that than dressy black. The white and pink ones at Target were cute, but not very flexible. Decisions, decisions....

Mary
Daisy 4/01
Owen 6/03

dairymama
02-23-2005, 06:29 PM
I think that black is a little harsh for spring as well, we always use black patent for Christmas and white or any other coordinating color for Easter.

Shelly

* BTW this is my first ever post.... Hope it works!!

Mama to Ms. Vivian

gour0
02-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Welcome! :)

colleenfs
02-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Just wanted to add that I got white patent leather shoes for Julia at Target just today. I was all set to get something at Stride Rite, but I'd much rather pay $12 than $40 for something that will get minimal wear. The Target shoes are really very cute too. Julia wore them around the house all day, and I just had to pry them off of her to get her in the tub.

I also saw the white and pink t-strap MJs. They are not that dressy - I'd use them as play shoes, not Easter shoes. Julia likes to wear dresses all the time, so she tends to wear MJs as play shoes. I agree that they do not look too flexible, but they were pretty cute.

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02
Jumping Bean due 7-23-05!
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020110/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050723/0/25/1/+10/.png

SAHMommie
02-23-2005, 07:11 PM
I think of white shoes when I think of Easter shoes.

SAHMommie

slknight
02-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Hmm, I don't have a girl, and have almost no fashion sense, but I'm going to weigh in anyway. LOL. I think black patent leather shoes are traditional for Easter as well. I cringe at the idea of white shoes before Memorial Day. My mother instilled that idea in me long ago.

LuLusMaMa
02-23-2005, 08:24 PM
I have the same problem... I was told to wear black patent with her little white and yellow Easter dress but it didn't look right so I went to Target and bought the little white patent MJs with the little frou frou bow on the strap. She'll never be able to walk in them (too stiff) but at least they look good!

ktdid74
02-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Susan- you totally crack me up! I always think of you when I'm trying to decide which socks to wear :)
BTW- my mom was a staunch "no white before memorial day" believer, too!