PDA

View Full Version : Happy with Soft Star Shoes?

brittone2
02-25-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm looking at getting DS some shoes for summertime mostly. He just turned a year, and will probably be walking in about 2 months or so in my estimation. Which means...by summertime he should be close to motoring around outside I would think. We are also getting ready to relocate and both potential destinations are pretty warm (The RTP area of NC or Austin TX).

We haven't gotten any Robeez type shoes yet. He is barefoot in the house and in socks most of the time when we go out. He does have one pair of harder soled shoes but I only use those to keep his socks on when it is really really cold and we're in the car (as he loves to rip his socks off while in his carseat).

I am getting ready to place an order with an online company that sells Soft Star shoes in addition to a lot of other merchandise. I don't know much about them but they look cute. I am leaning toward a pair of their shoes that have little cutouts in the front and then a T strap kind of closure with velcro http://softstarshoes.com/100SV%20Brown.jpg

Does anyone here have soft star shoes? I was surprised...I didn't see much in the archives. Is the size chart fairly accurate? DS's foot is 4.75 inches now so I am planning to size up a little bit since I want these mostly for late spring and summer.

Do you think a brown sandal like this is pretty multi-purpose or is there a better selection? I'm hoping to get away with one pair of shoes for most of the summer if possible.

squimp
02-25-2005, 01:54 PM
We have a pair of their slippers and I adore them. They are lined in real sheepskin, which makes for a fabulous slipper, and the outers are a rugged suede that holds up well for walking outside. I found the sizing to be accurate if you follow their instructions. It will not hurt to buy larger since they stay on really well, at least the slippers do.

We haven't tried the rubber-soled shoes yet. The ones you picked out are cute, and would be very multipurpose. These have an elastic band instead of velcro.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22081.jpg
You can get this in other colors and without the star cutouts.

I'm biased, because they're made here in town (and I love supporting a local business), and I can pick them up at the shop.

http://www.softstarshoes.com/shoe_styles.htm

brittone2
02-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks Jana!!! I'd love to buy sandals but I'm afaid they'll cause DS to trip or his toes will stick out...

I'm happy to know that you've been pleased w/ the ones you own.

momceecers
03-01-2005, 01:37 AM
We don't have any (yet), we are still pre-walker, but I have heard really good things about them. Aren't they all handmade in Oregon? If you do get them let us know what you think.

Cindy

squimp
03-01-2005, 03:07 PM
They are individually made in Oregon. And they have fabulous pre-walker shoes that are lined in sheepskin with a durable suede outer.

firsttimemommy
03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
We ordered a pair for DD from Shoebuy - should be here Thursday, so I'll report back on them then!

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

MelissaTC
03-01-2005, 05:30 PM
My best friend's DD is 3 weeks older than my DS. She LIVED in her soft star shoes last summer. She simply refused to wear anything else since she hates wearing shoes and prefers to be barefoot. She wore these in brown -

http://www.blueskymama.com/images/300T-White.gif

She wore them EVERYWHERE and did EVERYTHING in them. HTH!

momceecers
03-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Thanks,

I'll have to check them out as well.

Cindy

brittone2
03-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Thanks for all the info. I like the style pictured above, but I keep worrying the laces on the inside would irritate the back of the heel. I guess with Soft Star's reputation and all of the good reviews, maybe I should reconsider. I was going to go with the elastic or velcro closure because of that issue...

Also, do you all think that the open toe poses a problem for a new walker? DS isn't walking yet (12.5 months) but I am hopeful he will be by spring or early summer. I'm wondering if he'd end up tripping/stubbing his toe with the open toe on a "sandal" type shoe? We're most likely relocating to TX or NC in June, so it will be very very hot in either place...hence my desire for sandals if we can get away with them. But I want whatever we buy to be practical...so if he's going to trip in them or have trouble walking in them, I'd rather just be safe and skip the open toe.

What to do?? ;) Thanks again everyone.

firsttimemommy
03-02-2005, 07:16 AM
DD had open toe Bear Feet Sandals when she began walking and I didn't notice any difficulties. I think it is more about the size of the shoe (don't want it too big) and the flexibility and thickness of the sole. At least for me, that is what I look for.

BTW, hope you get TX! That's where I am - born and raised here! And I'm only a few hours away from Austin too!

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

brittone2
03-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks Ronda!! DH was just in Austin 2 weeks ago for his candidate visit (he's returning for his PhD) and he really enjoyed the city. He visits UNC in 2 weeks and after that will make his decision between UTexas and UNC. Once he decides, we'll be hopping on a plane and buying a house in early April, so it is kind of crazy around here right now ;)

Glad to know that you love Texas :)

MelissaTC
03-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Well, the laces did not irritate her feet one bit. :) But you do with what you feel most comfortable. Her cousin still wears these shoes at 4 years old; they love them.

Where in NC, btw? I live in Cary. It does get hot here but it isn't too bad.... :) I will take it over NY winters & muggy summers in the city any day...central air will fix just about anything :)

brittone2
03-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Probably southwest Durham if we end up at UNC. DH is getting a stipend and we're living off some equity from our current house and some savings while he's in school, and I'm trying to remain a SAHM while he's in school, so we can't afford Chapel Hill "proper."
We took a preliminary trip down to the RTP area in Sept. to meet w/ a realtor and get acquainted w/ the area. We live near Philly now, so we're looking forward to nicer weather if we end up in NC :) We really enjoyed our visit to NC.

I haven't ever been to Austin but DH did seem to enjoy the city. So...if we end up there it will be interesting, considering my first trip there will be to buy a house LOL.