PDA

View Full Version : dressing a summer baby?

colleenfs
03-07-2005, 12:35 PM
My older dd was born in January, so this baby will be my first experience with a newborn in the summertime. We recently learned that we'll be having another girl, and I have to force myself not to buy all the cute pink layette!

For those who already have summer babies, tell me the truth: Do you really dress them in short sleeved onesies, creepers, and rompers? I figure we'll be inside in a/c most of the time, esp. since I don't want her delicate skin to be exposed to the sun. Thinking about my older dd's clothes, I should be able to re-use her lighter long sleeved footed cotton sleepers and light cotton pants/rompers with socks when we are inside. We will be outdoors when my older dd wants to play in the backyard or go to the playground. So I'll likely pick out (or receive) a few cute summery things, but I just don't know if they'll really get worn and I want to recycle as much as I can.

Any advice? Thanks!!

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02
Baby GIRL! due 7-23-05
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020110/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050723/0/25/1/+10/.png

saschalicks
03-07-2005, 01:46 PM
DS was born late June and you are right, summery outfits are probably not what you should be looking at. I did put him in onesies, but most of the time he was in a t-shirt and gown or footed lightweight pjs for the first month. After that he wore onesies w/lightweight pants or shorts. I tried to still layer but making sure I used lightweight fabrics. HTH

parkersmama
03-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I guess it depends on where you live. We live in the deep South and it gets so hot and humid here that we really did use summery outfits (sleeveless, shorts, etc). I kept a blanket and light cardigan handy for air conditioned situations but she needed to be dressed lightly for being outdoors. Just going from the car to the store can have you dripping with sweat during our summers! ugh.

khakismom
03-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Ellen was a June baby, and you bet that she lived in rompers and onesies. I bought a few new waffle weave blankets--which are perfect for summer swaddling--and had those available if I needed it. But even in the A/C, Ellen mostly wore rompers. She wore a lot of gowns too, so that I could pull them up around her knees if she got too hot. I think she spent most of her early days asleep in her carrier in the shade at the pool with Kathleen and I. And it was HOT! Somehow because it's the summer, her body was always so warm already, so I dressed her in cool outfits.

lrucci
03-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Kyleigh is a July baby. I usually dressed her in one more layer than what I was wearing. That meant she wore a onesie underneath her outfits, which were normally short sleeve rompers. At night, she did sleep in lightweight long sleeve cotton sleepers.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

SummerBaby
03-07-2005, 03:43 PM
I would say it depends on where you live. We live in upstate NY, so for my DD (born July 28) we really only had about 6 weeks where it was warm enough for bare legs and short sleeves. We have central air, so for most of August she wore the one piece gowns in the house. If we went for walks I just put her in her onesie. I did have 2 nice rompers I put on her for company or special occasions, but I guess my point is we had such a short time where it was warm, it didn't pay to buy a lot of summer stuff. So if you live in a climate like mine, I would just buy one or 2 summery outfits- the stuff you already have should be fine for the house. HTH!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

colleenfs
03-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone! We live in a similar climate, near Boston, so it certainly gets hot, but we don't tend to have constant heatwaves. This is very helpful.

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02
Baby GIRL! due 7-23-05
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020110/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050723/0/25/1/+10/.png

heidis2girls
03-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Colleen, I live north of Boston. My girls were born in late August and mid-September and I had the occasion to put both of them in cute one-piece rompers, creepers and sleeveless outfits/dresses several times before the fall weather really set in. I'd pick up a few in case you want to take her out or if it's really hot. While I was home with my girls they were mainly in one-piece cotton sleepers.

Congratulations on having another little girl! I love having two girls. They are so much fun, albeit tough on the wallet!

HoneymoonBaby
03-07-2005, 09:30 PM
My son was born June 14th and during the first few months, he lived in a diaper and a t-shirt when we were inside, rompers for outings. He peed/pooped so much and needed so many diaper changes at first that it wasn't worth having him wear pants or even onesies. Dipes and tees all the way.

(Of course, we use cloth, so the diapers were adorable to look at, too!)

lmladuke
03-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi Colleen!

I'm in MA too and both of my kids were born in July. Last summer with Katherine, I found she wore lots of "onesie" style outfits with short sleeves. I mixed and matched those with knit pull on pants and cardigans also. (Think opposite stripe leggings and cardigans from Hanna) You can also get them at Gap and Carters. They were great because I could layer, and then remove the cardie or pants (or both) depending upon the weather.

Congrats!!!!

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5/.png