PDA

View Full Version : Does your child have a certain style?

Dcclerk
03-07-2005, 07:16 PM
I have looked at a number of clothes regarding which I will think, "That's cute, but it isn't DS." And I realized, that is pretty funny. :) Except for an obsession with the color blue, my DS couldn't care less what I put on him. But **I** do. To me, there are certain styles and certain brands that fit him, and others that don't. In fact, when my mom or MIL sneaks something on him outside of **my** interpretation of his style, I always cringe, and can't wait to get him back into his clothes.

So, do you think of your child having a certain style? And if so, what is it?

For DS, he's a little surfer dude. Most of his wardrobe is Charlie Rocket, with some Gap and Gymboree thrown in. He has about 10 hawaiian shirts, lots of longer shorts, and tons of hats. He has longer, curly blond hair, so that is supposed to be what he wears, right? ;) (Yeah, I know IN THEORY I could cut his hair and make it suitable for a different style but... )

ktdid74
03-07-2005, 07:34 PM
I know exactly what you mean! I'm not sure what my kids' style is but I know what it isn't. You can tell immediately when you see an item- not sure where that comes from though. Like I never put DD in frilly dresses- not her style. I've never put DS in a suit or dressy get-up-- not his style. He's more of polo's and jeans, or gymbo l/s tops. Comfy and he likes it. I guess I'll really know their style in a few years when they won't let me choose clothes for them anymore.
BTW-I love the surfer look! And, good luck with your impending delivery!! How exciting :)

tarahsolazy
03-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Yep, Forrest is strictly casual. Knit pants, hand-knit wool pants, pull on cords and matching long-sleeve tees in bright colors or cool (as interpreted by mama) patterns. Like Hanna boxy tees, and some of the better (IMO) recent gymbo. The husky dog stuff, tugboat, and the robot and spaceman lines. No little man pants or button up shirts, no sports themes of any kind. He also likes the little man-capris from Hanna (well, I DO). And, he's gonna wear boy t-straps instead of oxfords for his first shoes.

C99
03-07-2005, 08:04 PM
No, but I have a style for him. :) I think of it as standard little-boy fare, but I suppose it really isn't because he doesn't wear any logo clothing or sweatpants. I like overalls, stripey shirts and turtlenecks, bright colors (but also ones that don't show dirt), knit pants and softer/thinner basic jeans and khakis. He also wears a lot of separates/mix & match stuff rather than outfits. Even when we get an outfit as a gift, I tend to break it up.

vlslusher
03-07-2005, 08:21 PM
exactly!

ds #1 - was a "pretty boy" and could totally pull off smocked stuff and jon-jons
ds #2 - can't - he is a sweater vest/polo shirt kinda kid
an dd - is all about trendy stuff, smocked stuff, naartjie, etc. there are many things she can't wear they would look too casual (and can't forget her signature headband - she can't do anything without her bow, well i won't let her - she's only 6 months old)

ginny :)

writeleigh
03-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Like Caroline said, "I have a style for him." I love lots of detailing :) I think I also like a touch of whimsy thrown in because at some point, most likely, he won't want to wear anything remotely whimsical LOL.

trumansmom
03-07-2005, 10:09 PM
I know EXACTLY what you mean.

DS is very, very preppy. Lots of turtlenecks and khakis in the winter, khaki shorts and polos in the summer. Subdued, conservative. Which is odd, because he is my wild child.

DD, on the other hand, is all about the bright colors. Tons of fuschia and orange (often together!) always with a coordinating bow in her hair. And of course, she has the more subdued personality.

I wonder what they will wear when they start expressing their own preferences?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

AvasMama
03-07-2005, 10:09 PM
This is a great question. I definitely have a style for Ava -- girly, but not fussy. Lots of pinks and brights, and everything has to be cotton. I love her in dresses, but nothing frilly or scratchy, or too "precious" if you know what I mean. Even in a dressy dress, I want her to be able to run and play easily.

Other things are a carryover of my own likes/dislikes. For example, I hate shorts and rarely wear them, so I don't buy them for Ava. At least while she's little, I prefer bloomer sets instead. I also do not put her in anything smocked, though that is more b/c DH doesn't like it. And in another carryover from our days in the Deep South, I steer clear of what I came to call the "big-bow boutique" look. It looks really cute on lots of girls, but it just isn't what I think of as Ava's style.

Robyn & Ava

tigalig
03-07-2005, 11:53 PM
I echo Caroline's "I have a style for him" opinion. My MIL thinks that mothers get to play dress up with their children and at first, I was offended by the comment, then I realized she's probably right and enjoy it even more now. : )

Our children are both casual/comfortable and coordinated (not with each other necessarily, but definitely their shoes with their outfits, etc.). DS is obsessed with the color red and most of his tops are red (polos, oxfords, plain ls and ss tees). We stay away from alot of printed stuff, but that's how I realized that it's really more "my" style than anything else. Nothing lasts forever so I plan to savor every moment that I get to pick.

darby24
03-08-2005, 02:51 AM
Any websites you recommend for browsing/buying Charlie Rocket? I did a quick google but found the stores varied in their selection. Any help would be great. TIA!

Good luck with the new baby as well!

ellies mom
03-08-2005, 03:16 AM
This is a cute thread. It is pretty funny that we would see our DC as having a "style" when we pick everything out for them. It is so true though. Somethings are just wrong for our children. You'ld think it would just be a color thing but it isn't, it is also patterns and styles. Blew me away when I realized it. I was given a ton of clothes that I thought were really cute, until DD was born. After she was around for even a few weeks I started to realize that I had new preferences about her clothing. The things I used to think were cute were now not so cute.

That said, DD's "style" is simple, not frilly or rufflely. She wears a lot of dresses but they are ones she can play in easily. She tends to wear pinks, lavenders, and red with denim, black and white as neutrals. I think I'm going to add in some of that nice green this summer. Her clothes aren't too babyish. Patterns are fairly simple. I'm learning to focus in on her style, because the clothes that "step" away from it tend to just sit in the closet. Luckily my winter missteps (tan, just never got into it) were inexpensive. My goal is to do a better job this summer.

jk3
03-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Check out Ebay. Sometimes you can find some!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

jk3
03-08-2005, 07:37 AM
My DS definitely has a certain style that at the moment I choose for him. If he had his way (and I'm sure he will shortly) his entire wardrobe would consist of Thomas clothing and train clothing. Since I still get to choose, he definitely is dressier than his little friends. He rarely wears sweats. I would say his style is a friendlier version of preppy. I tend to dress him in Hanna, Gymboree, Janie + Jack, Mulberribush and some Gap. I know my friends think it's bizarre that he's usually wearing coordinating outfits - I get lots of comments. I know if I had a girl no one would say anything!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

vpalmer
03-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Absolutely. And her style is so much different than mine already! I am a no frill type of person and at least 50% of my wardrobe is khaki and/or black! Eva, on the other hand, loves bright colors. Her favorite color is pink but most bright and fun colors will pass her litmus test. Last night we were going to Gymboree Music class and I started to grab her orange doggie sweater and she instead chose a furry pink vest my mom bought her for Christmas. So to answer your question, yes, Eva definitely has her own style!

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

Little Ladybug
03-08-2005, 09:27 AM
What a fun thread! DS definitely has a style, which I must admit is an extension of my own. I like classic , traditional styles for myself, and I buy the same for him. Right now, he wears lots of smocking and appliqued pieces, in addition to overall sets from Janie & Jack and Gymbo, and bright, fun casual pieces from Hanna. It's a look that would be too fussy on some children, but DS is a very "old-fashioned" looking child, with blond hair, VERY fair skin, and blue eyes, so it suits him. My MIL tries to give him lots of "little man" type outfits, but they just don't look right on him (although the same type of outfit looks precious on one of his little "friends.") I get lots of comments that he is always "so dressed up," but in reality, the jon-jons and other pieces of that nature that I put him in are actually really comfortable outfits! :)

zuzu
03-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Interesting question. I thought that by now Sarah would have stronger clothing preferences, but I'm just as happy that she doesn't. Some days I give her a choice of two outfits, but she has never not wanted to wear anything I've tried to put on her. Maybe we just have the same tastes? ;) I dress her in much brighter colors than I wear myself, but that seems to match her personality. Nothing too fussy or lacy - nice things, but mostly stuff she would be comfortable playing in. We were at an extended family gathering last weekend and a Grandmother we had never met came up and said Sarah looked like a Hanna Andersson kid (Sarah was wearing a playdress set at the time). The Grandma said she bought lots of Hanna for her grandkids, but they never seemed to wear it. DH and I were about to ask if she wanted to adopt Sarah!! Also, I did have a "proud mama" moment last week when Sarah, out of the blue, said, "Mommy, I like shoes." DH witnessed this and really realized we now have a little girl, instead of a baby. Now I feel like the shoes I buy her are as much for her as for myself! :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Dcclerk
03-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Sorry, Erin, I'm afraid that I won't be a ton of help. I tend to get most of his stuff on eBay, which is definitely hit or miss. I also get stuff at the local boutiques (also of no help to you ;) ). The websites I have bought from have been www.babystyle.com and www.cwdkids.com. I think most of our hawaiian shirts have come from one of those 2 sites, but it is also hit or miss. Especially with Babystyle since they carry a ton of Charlie Rocket, but sometimes don't identify the brand in the listing. When I googled, I noticed that the stores it took me to often didn't have much of the hawaiian shirts, which surprised me because that is what I think of for CR. If I find a better site, I'll definitely let you know.

parkersmama
03-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I'd say my kids have a style. A lot of it comes from my own taste (as do my own clothes and dh's too! LOL!).

Parker (who is 7 1/2) wears a lot of jeans and fleece pants in the winter. He looks great in all types of shorts in the summer. For shirts, he like t-necks, sweaters, and sweatshirts. He also likes stripes and some prints...particularly the "cool" ones (like his guitar shirt from miniboden). He likes slip-on shoes. He looks best in light blue and about 1/4 of his shirts are that color! LOL!

Wesley (who is 5 tomorrow!) is much more opinionated about his clothes. Argh. He doens't care for most stripes and loves screen-printed tops (like those from Gymbo). He also likes athletic tops (football jersey, soccer jersey, etc). He prefers mostly jeans but would wear shorts and short sleeves year-round if I'd let him. He doesn't like turtlenecks or sweaters. It's irritating to go through all the hand-me-downs with him because he rejects half of it! And I've found there's no point in trying to convince him to wear things he doesn't like because the ensuing battle sends me over the edge.

Amy Grace obviously wears only things I pick out since she's too young to really voice her opinion. She does sometimes say yes or no to something (like she recently refused to wear any type of thong or between the toes sandals). I dress her in feminine clothes that are not frilly or ruffly. I like her to be comfortable but cute. She is almost always in an "outfit" rather than separates. I like her mostly in bright colors. I would definitely balk at putting an overly frilly dress or outfit on her and also don't like the "little diva" look. :)

HoneymoonBaby
03-08-2005, 09:19 PM
I give Ian a style. I can't stand anything too precious, like jon-jons, bubbles, smocking, etc. on him. His personality is too playful for the whole "angelic little boy" look. I also don't like to dress him in Hanna/Carters type stuff if we're leaving the house because it looks like pajamas to me. He looks best in casual preppy stuff like hooded sweatshirts/cute Gymbo tees and jeans for play or khaki cargos with nice sweaters from Gymbo or J&J for dress-up. As it gets warmer, he'll probably wear skater-style tees and polos with cargo pants or shorts. Most of his closet is Gymbo, with some Polo, Pine Peak Blues, Target stuff, Baby Gap and J&J to round it out.

darby24
03-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Thanks Jenn and Kerry. The few shirts I saw were pretty cute!