PDA

View Full Version : My son has freakish feet - any ideas on SUPER WIDE shoes?

tarahsolazy
03-08-2005, 07:44 PM
So, Forrest is walking, and I would really like him to have some shoes. I know he doesn't NEED them, but we are taking several trips coming up, so he will be walking outside, and indoors in public places. The only thing that has ever fit is padded Shoo Shoos. which I think are a tad ugly, and are currently discontinued in his size. They are like t-straps, with velcro closures. Robeez, etc, are all way too tight at the ankle, and barely wide enough. We went to Stride Rite today, I live in the middle of nowhere, and there's just one small SR for hundreds of miles. They measured him at a XXXW, and the busy sales clerk said they didn't have anything that would fit, and that she didn't have time to try XW on him, and that they could special order the boring white hi-top lace-ups. I was slightly irritated, so I left to mull it over. Does no one make very wide shoes for babies? I ordered another pair of ShooShoos, with a cross-over elastic thing, which may work. Anyone know where I can find cute really wide shoes?

Anyone know how wide Soft Star Shoes are?

sbirmantaz
03-08-2005, 07:56 PM
My dd also had (they are getting a bit slimmer now) xxxw feet. She didn't fit into SR either. The only ones I found for her that work are the preschoolians, but only in certain styles. Not sure what cute boys styles would work, but if you ask them they will recommend which style to try. THe sport Mary Janes worked great for my dd. Her feet were wide, but also a very pudgy instep so a lot of lace ups wouldn't work. HTH

babymama
03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
freakishly wide feet here too...actually we have additional issue of seriously high arches - SO high that the cuffs on HA zippers are VERY difficult to get past his arches.

haven't tried sr yet. we actually had good luck with a brand called Nina - they have a shoe with an ultra-flexible bottom, called mobility. They scuffed up pretty badly, but other thqan that have worked out well. if you do go with preschoolians, the zip up kind are very problematic for us - super tight fit for this wide footster.

toomanystrollers
03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Tarah,
Jumping Jacks run XXW - IMO, they run wider than stride rites. www.zappos.com carries them.

Any specialty children's shoes stores in your area? I do not like my local Stride Rite and haven't bought shoes from them in years!!

kensjen
03-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Tarah,

Same problem here...I recommend Jumping Jacks and Preschoolians. The good thing is you can try these and send back if they don't work. (order JJ from zappos, they have a great return policy, and they pay the shipping.) Preschoolians have different size inserts and the wide ones work well for my son.

I can't stand stride rite, the people that work in the few near me are so NOT helpful. Just because my son has very wide feet, they treated us like freaks, basically because they knew they weren't going to sell us anything. I don't think most SRs are that cute anyway, especially in DS size. The preschoolians and JJ that I bought for DS are super cute.

Hope you find something!

Oregonmother
03-08-2005, 10:19 PM
See Kai Run shoes run very wide. My DS is a XXW and still has extra room in these. I think there is a retailer in Portland too. You could check them out in the store before you buy. Their website should have a listing of the stores in Portland.

sparkeze
03-08-2005, 11:12 PM
I second the See Kai Run shoes. My DS has plenty of room (width as well as height). Soft Star shoes were not wide enough for DS. Check a specialty shoe store in town, Jumping Jacks come in XXXW and although they're pricey they don't look too bad. But had I known about SKR when DS was first in shoes I would've have stuck exclusively to them.

squimp
03-09-2005, 02:19 AM
They make Soft Star shoes here in town - let me know what size Fory is, and I could go by the shop and measure the width for you. I literally walk past their shop at least once a week. I also wonder if they could do a custom width for you.

Soft star shoes seem pretty wide, and they have a variety of closures (velcro, elastic or tie) which could make them a better fit for wide feet.

The mocs are elastic, and come up high on the foot, so they might have the same problems as the Robeez for Fory. IME the mocs are wider than Robeez, but not as wide as ShooShoos.