PDA

View Full Version : 3 ruined outfits....waaaaah :(

AdoptChina
04-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Im steaming mad right now! This is the 3rd time in the last 10 or so days that Makenna has gotten paint all over her outfit at school (and she only goes 3 days a week!).
First it was a Naartjie tie die top..yellow paint but at least it was a small amount
Then it was her Gymboree yellow top that matches her sunflower jeans.....tons of orange paint splattered all over the arm and front (like some one flicked paint off of a toothbrush)
Then today....her BRAND NEW Naartjie denim butterfly jumper and polka dot shirt.....HUGE blob of yellow paint right next to the butterfly, 2 more smaller paint marks, and red and silver glitte glue all across the bottom! And Maki tried to wipe off some of the paint with a wipe which made it bleed through onto the shirt :(
I am so upset! I bought her a nice smock to wear at school (per their request) .....asked DD about it and she said they havent been giving it to her to wear. I called school and left a message (a nice one) that 3 outfits have been ruined in the past 2 weeks and to please tell the teachers to put her smock on!
Still doesnt fit her poor dress from today, or her gymbo shirt :(

I had to vent here b/c I knew you'd understand lol

urbanmama
04-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Bummer, Susan! I rarely let Anneliese wear anything to preschool that I care about. I'm particularly careful on art days, but even regular days aren't much better. They put pins with the child's name on them everyday. Unfortunately, that leaves holes in the shirt! So, I have "school shirts" for that reason. I would love to dress her in all of her adorable clothes everyday, but it just isn't worth it!

Samraelanelevi
04-13-2005, 04:40 PM
That stinks! My preschool is very good about painting and using smocks. Delaney wears all her hanna, gymbo and handmade boutique clothing to school and knock on wood not one problem. Does the preschool use washable paints? My preschool teacher uses nothing but washables-for paints and markers. They also have lots of art smocks for the kids.

Oh the pin thing would really irritate me! I cannot believe that they would pin things onto their clothes-I would defniently say something about that.

macassi
04-13-2005, 04:53 PM
I can definitely understand that you're mad, but I would chaulk it up to lessons learned and make sure she wears "disposable" clothing from now on.

My oldest son could wear Hanna to school and stay perfectly clean; whereas, Brendan only wears old clothes as he can destroy items in record time.

Our preschool is very good about publishing that school is for play and to dress children accordingly. They are very clear that they fully expect your child to get dirty. Just last week, Brendan discovered a mud pit in the yard. When I went to pick him up, his shoes were left outside the classroom door and he shirt and turned from white to 90% brown. I just had to laugh, because it was obvious that he had had a lot of fun at school, and he told me all about making mudpies with his friend.

lisams
04-13-2005, 04:55 PM
That's a bummer. I'm surprised they don't use washable paint, or add a drop of dishsoap to make it washable (maybe you could suggest this?) I ususally put DD in her Target clothes for school because she always gets something on it - glue, paint, markers, etc. Have you tried oxyclean yet?

Lisa

pritchettzoo
04-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Save the painted outfits for preschool! I'm surprised they don't use washable paint.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

2zeke
04-13-2005, 07:00 PM
My ds' teachers add dishsoap to the paint (a little more than a drop, though, I think). The paint always comes out with shout. I've suggested this to my dd's teacher after she got paint on a couple of her Hannas. One time she was covered in paint. Her school requires dresses, so it's not like I can send her in grungies. Since the last time, my dd says they have been wearing paint shirts.

Janice
dd 10-99
ds 4-02

DebbieJ
04-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Oh bummer!

The lack of washable paint..
The non-use of smocks...
And the pins!

Three strikes!

~ deb
DS 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

AdoptChina
04-14-2005, 08:30 AM
I dont mind the dirt, mulch etc....thats all part of going to school and playing outside.....but there is no excuse for the paint when she has a smock (that they didnt put on her!). I dont send DD to school in her "good" clothes but also dont dress her clothes I dont care about...I guess the new Naartjie outfit will be worn EVERY week to school now lol .I'm still mad about it this morning ..AND have NOT gotten a call back from school yet! You'd think they'd at least call and apologize

DD has now learned to demand her smock be put on lol
:)

egoldber
04-14-2005, 08:36 AM
The trouble is even washable paint does not always wash out. Especially reds and really dark colors, EVEN when mixed with dish soap. And smocks are not always reliable. And the teachers can't keep as close an eye on your kid as you would at home.

This is why I have a preschool and a non-preschool wardrobe. That way I just don't have to worry about it. I find it much less stressful.

parkersmama
04-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Okay. That is *really* annoying!! Why do they request smocks and then not use them? Crazy. Wesley occasionally comes home with things on his clothes but they usually wash out (washable paint, washable markers). I think that it's harder to get stains out of girl clothing for some reason. Have you noticed that or is it just me?

dules
04-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Oh no! I'd probably pitch a fit about the smock...what's it there for if they are not going to help her use it? And I agree with the PP, only washable paints and markers should be used in preschool. Grrr.

Best,
Mary

brigmaman
04-14-2005, 11:09 AM
So true. My MIL is a pre-k teacher and has lots of "washable" paints for Brig to use at home. Sometimes it washes out and other times it doesn't. We even send him to her house with play clothes. Sometimes he's comes home with paint in places that make me wonder!