PDA

View Full Version : OT-How bad is it to mix lights and darks in the washer?

Jenn98
04-13-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm really trying to keep up on the laundry since we just put our house up for sale. I thought the experts here could help me. ;) Tell me if it really is bad to do a load of mixed lights and darks? It's mostly our daily work clothes, not muddy jeans or anything like that. Any thoughts?

TIA
Jenn

annabellesmom
04-13-2005, 08:54 PM
I do it fairly often, just wash on cold and make sure there's nothing new that might bleed. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, especially considering the pile I have waiting to be done but I haven't had any problems.

HTH,

westchicagomom
04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
If I have to do that and am not 100% sure that something will bleed, I use at least one of those Color Catcher sheets - and in a couple of cases have been very glad that I did!

egoldber
04-14-2005, 07:25 AM
I do it sometimes. The worst offenders for bleeding seem to be red and dark blues, so I would be careful with those.

I always wash ALL DD's clothes together though.

HTH,

trumansmom
04-14-2005, 08:47 AM
In my house it's considered a sin! And after the "Red Sock Incident" where an entire load of DS' clothes were ruined BEFORE HE WAS BORN, is the primary reason why DH has to ask permission to do laundry. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

parkersmama
04-14-2005, 09:04 AM
I do it a lot. Especially with the kids' clothes. Those Shout color catcher sheets are a lifesaver! I think that reds and blue jeans seem to be the worst about fading onto other items. I can wash a load of jeans that have been washed 20 times and put in a color catcher and it comes out blue!

dules
04-14-2005, 09:05 AM
If it's clothes that you wear every day and have been washed a lot, I wouldn't hesitate, even on warm. A color catcher sheet might be a good idea just in case.

Funny I am super careful with DD's clothes, maybe because they're all newer? But for mine and DH's it all just goes in together.

Best,
Mary

kransden
04-14-2005, 09:52 AM
From personal experience in college. :) Eventually your light colors will become dingy and gray. So I wouldn't do it for very long.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Squirrel_M
04-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I dry to avoid it at home. I rather don't do laundry as often and wait till I get a full load. Sometimes I have towels or t-shirts which I can't decide if they are bright ot dark colors and they go in either load.

Monika