PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jon-Jons

shannonG
04-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi! I always appreciate all of the advice I get on here!! I have a question I was hoping some of you could help me with!! I've been seeing a lot of threads about jon-jons and now that I know what they are I love them!!! I haven't seen any boy clothes as sweet and classic as these adorable outfits!

I was wondering where you buy them from. Could you post some of your favorite brand names or websites? On another thread a poster was speaking of casual vs. dressy jon-jons. What would you consider casual?

My son has a birthday coming up in June and we'll be bringing him along to two weddings (both out of state and on the same weekend- AHHH!)! I thought Jon-Jons would be perfect!!!! TIA!!!!

LucyG
04-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Well, I have a girl, but I do love jon-jons for little boys! I actually have several stashed away in case I ever have a son! :-)

I see jon-jons just about everywhere. You can find the dressier ones (and I think of smocked when I think "dressier") at boutiques or home parties. Bailey Boys, Chez Ami, Kelly's Kids and Orient Expressed are just a few that come to mind in that category. But, I have seen darling ones at places like Goody's (Samara is a brand I've seen there.), and at consignment sales and shops. Most of the ones in my stash have come from consignment. When I think of more casual ones, I usually think of seersucker, or plaid or solid with an applique on the front. In the South, you sometimes see the little boy's name or his initials monogrammed on the front of the jon-jon.

I'm sure the boy moms here will give you lots of great info., but this is a start!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

steph2003
04-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Ebay!

I've gotten a lot of NWT or NWOT deals on jon-jons. Even some hardly worn ones - a lot of times the nicer ones are worn only for church/special occasions/pictures so they look brand new.

Beaux et Belles is my favorite trunk show brand (someone hosts a party in a home where you look at the samples & then choose your smocking/fabric/monogramming) you can find them used on Ebay though as the spring trunk show has already passed. They have the cutest smocking IMHO. Like the pp said I think the smocking dresses it up & the ones with an applique on it tend to be more "casual" I'm in the south & the monogram thing is a must :) although I try not to get too crazy in case I have another DS & want to hand down some things.

I also love Orient Expressed & my DS's birthday outfit came from here.

Kelly's Kids, Chez Ami, Ragsland are also other "home show" lines.

www.bestdressedchild.com carried Bailey Boys (I think) & some other cute lines.

ast96
04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm a confessed jon-jon addict. I love Bailey Boys, Orient Expressed, Mary James, Silly Goose, Anavini, Strasburg... I also like Kelly's Kids and Rags Land sometimes. I buy mostly from Ebay or the local boutique.

I have some jon-jons I am ready to unload (NWOT and NWT)... I have too many! Let me know if you want me to email you pics.

Allison
DS 06.02
DS 03.04

shannonG
04-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks so much for responding!! I'm ebay right now just looking around and I've seen some of the name brands that you mentioned. I have a hard time just buying something without an idea of the quality...so I'll stick to looking at the ones you mentioned. I think I'll take a look at some of the consignment shops around here tomorrow!!! We don't have a Goody's around here (western NY)-bummer! Also, thanks for explaining the difference between casual/dressy...I understand!!

shannonG
04-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks so much for all of the information!!! I've been looking on ebay but it helps to know what is worth bidding on. What is a fair price to pay for Bailey Boys jon jon's NWT or NWOT? I'm not sure and I don't want to shell out more than I have to! Thanks for the link to www.bestdressedchild.com . I think I'll be getting some dressy ones with the smocking for ds's 1st b-day and the weddings and then I'll get some of the more casual ones for everyday wear!!!! Nathan was just a tiny baby last summer so I didn't get too crazy with the fashion but I think I'm in trouble this year!!!!! Thanks!!!

shannonG
04-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Allison, I'd be interested in seeing some pictures! I'm just unsure about the sizing. Do you know how they usually fit? Nathan wears a lot of TCP clothes and is now fitting into their 12 mo. onsies. Would I be safe in purchasing 12 month jon jon's or should I go up a size...18 mo.? Most of his 12 mo. stuff is pretty roomy...he's almost 10 months old. Thanks!!

ETA: In March ds weighed 18.12 pounds and was 28 3/4 tall. The outfits wouldn't be used until June-ish. 18 months seems so big!!! He's long though. Any suggestions??

LucyG
04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Definitely check out your consignment shops! There is one higher-end resale shop that I visit, and they have GREAT jon-jons! Granted, this is in the deep South, but you never know what you'll find at yours. Since some moms only use jon-jons as dress-up outfits, they are often still in great shape when they are sold. And, like so many girl clothes, aside from the really nice smocked jon-jons, I think most of the $10 ones are just as cute as the $50 ones!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

HHCs Mom
04-14-2005, 09:47 PM
I, too, am a jon-jon addict! I just love the way they look on little boys! If you are looking for smocked jon-jons at higher end boutiques or even the higher end brands, they tend to run small. DS is wearing 12-18 months for spring/summer and all of his jon-jons are 18 months. He is 12 months old (23 lbs & 31 1/2 inches long).

There are tons of sites that sell smocked and appliqued jon-jons:
www.bestdressedchild.com
www.snipsnsnails.com
www.oneofakindkid.com
www.orientexpressed.com (my personal fave! :) )
www.theplantationshop.com
www.kellyskids.com

I would definitely say smocked jon-jons would be considered dressy where something appliqued like a Bailey Boys or Funtasia would be considered more casual. Good brands to search eBay for --- casual: Bailey Boys, Funtasia; dressy: Orient Expressed, Beaux et Belles, Anavini, Rosalina, Vive la Fete, Amanda Remembered. Ragsland and Kellys Kids also make both dressy and casual jon-jons. You can get names of other brands by visiting the sites listed above and can also get a feel for how much you would spend on one if you paid retail. That will help determine how to bid if you find one you like on eBay. I think I just decided that I know *way* too much about this subject! :P

ETA: You mentioned quality ---- the quality on all of these brands is good. I have seen all of them in person and DS has a bunch of these brands and the quality has been excellent. I would stick with the brands everyone has listed and you'll be fine! :)

HTH!

Kim
~ mama to a chunky monkey named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

SAHMommie
04-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I am interested too! Do you have any in the 2T - 4T size range?

SAHMommie

stewmom
04-16-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm interested too if you want to PM me!

Sam (mom to Stewart 8-15-03)

Little Ladybug
04-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm a jon-jon addict too! The previous posters have hit most of the brands that we like. DS has Beaux et Belles (gorgeous smocking), Kelly's Kids, Orient Expressed, Funtasia, Strasburg Children, Mulberry Street, Anavini, Carriage Boutiques, Viva La Fete, and a few other random brands. You just can't beat jon-jons in the summer - they are so lightweight and comfortable looking (very easy for diaper changes), and I think toddler boys look so sweet wearing them. I agree that smocking makes them dressier, and appliques are more casual. :)