PDA

View Full Version : Am I expecting too much from a sandal?

deborah_r
04-15-2005, 11:23 AM
I bought some Ecco sandals for DS and I was really happy with them, until he tried to do his usual climb up the slide trick and promptly slid right back down. Now, while I don't love him climbing up the slide, I don't see that it really hurts anything and I think he is confused as to why he can succeed in climbing it sometimes, but not others. Do some shoes just have grippier soles than others? Maybe the Eccos are not grippy on the bottom for a specific reason?

bluej
04-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Deborah, I'm LOL at the 'climb up the slide trick'! That's Ryden's favorite thing to do! I bought him some cheap sandals at Target for the park/playground. I wanted something that had a closed-toe, substantial sole and cheap b/c these would only be for the park and it's often muddy there (don't want to ruin the good shoes ;) ). These just happened to have a grippy sole so Ryden can continue with his slide climbing.

Which Ecco's did you get? I'm still looking for a good sandal for everyday wear (as well as church sandals).

deborah_r
04-15-2005, 02:22 PM
They are like this, but the strap is not blue, it is brown.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/24392.jpg

On their website it says it is a "PU Injected outsole". I'm thinking they use this to make it lightweight, because I'm thinking of his cheapie Nike sneakers he's been wearing that i got at Kohl's last year - they have that yellow gummy-rubbery, nubby bottom and he can climb like Spiderman in those things, but I wouldn't call them "lightweight". I've got some Osh Kosh Merrell-impersonators that seem really grippy on the bottoms, maybe I will have him wear those to the park!

Buffys Mommy
04-15-2005, 07:25 PM
We have a pair of Ecco's and have the same problem. She can climb up her slide at home if she's wearing her outdoor shoes, but not her Ecco sandals.

Tammie
Momma to Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url] 18 months and counting

stewmom
04-16-2005, 08:58 PM
DS has been playing in three pairs of new sandals lately: L'Amour were very grippy and flexible but gave him ankle blisters, Teva's have a stiffer sole and aren't quite as grippy, and my favorite so far, the Stride-Rite "Minnow", are flexible and grippy with a comfy padded ankle.

All that being said I'm still not sure I love sandals on the playground because of all that mulch/gravel/sand/etc. The Teva's have been great on the beach though.

HTH,

Sam (mom to Stewart 8-15-03)