PDA

View Full Version : looking for good places to shop in NYC and long island?

jess_g
04-17-2005, 08:19 AM
We will be on vacation there next week and I would love some recemendations for where to shop for kids clothes. I know the gymboree outlet is near where we are staying but are there any Hanna stores nearby (just had to ask as I love Hanna clothes)? Any ohter stores that I would like? I have 3 kids (a 9 year old girl, a 5 year old boy, and a 18 month year old boy). Also what is the long island childrens museum like? Is it worth a visit? My kids love the one in Boston (near our house).

Thanks, Jessica.

brigmaman
04-17-2005, 08:14 PM
The Gymbo outlet is in a great little mall that also has a Nordstrom Rack store. There is a baby/toddler outlet as well. It has beautiful things. The Roosevelt Field mall is a few minutes away from the Source mall (where Gymbo is) and has some nice stores as well. I think they have recently opened a Janie and Jack store. I don't know much about the boutiques up that way- we live much further east. I'm sure some other mamas would know- but I'd bet that Huntington has a few nice boutiques and Garden City might as well.
As for Hanna, there is one somewhere north of the city. I think it's in White Plains.
Marisa might know more about the city...

MarisaSF
04-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Indeed, Huntington (on the north shore near the border of Nassau and Suffolk) does have some small cute boutiques. Hmmm... the names escape me, but one is near the Starbucks and one is across from Book Review. There is also an Ann Taylor Loft on Main Street that had kids clothes back in December.
Confirmed -- I did see J&J at RF mall. That mall has everything.

ETA: Cold Spring Harbor, close to Huntington, has a reportedly cute boutique called "Pashley" I think.

mama2galpals
04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
hi i lived on li for years and i can tell you to check out denny's childrenswear. www.dennyschildrenswear.com there are a few. one is in little neck one in plainview etc. they have alot of the great boutiquey stuff marked down. there's another place called lesters that is the same type of thing but i don't like them as much. also i like buy buy baby in huntington. it's a more upscale babies r us if you haven't been (sister to bed bath and beyond). also, in the source mall there is baby fortunoff which is just fun to look at too. roosevelt field does have j&j now as well as pbk. no hanna on li though.

there's also great shopping in woodbury (north shore). a place called spoiled rotten with really cute home items for kids and personalized stuff done well. it's in a shopping center with upscale stores like jacadi.

arcoe
04-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Definitely Denny's! We have one here in PA and it is great. I heard the one in Huntington is an outlet - that would definitely be worth checking out. A friend of mine on Long Island also likes Century 21 for children's clothes..but I'm not sure exactly where it is located.

cuca_
04-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I second the recommendation for Century 21. It is downtown, accross the street from Ground Zero. I don't live in the city so don't have many boutique recommendations, but Bloomindale's, Barneys and Saks all have nice children's departments.

As to Hanna Andersson, the one in NY is in the Westchester Mall in White Plains (about 30-40 minutes from the city). It's a very nice mall with a Janie and Jack, Babystyle, Gymboree, Oilily, Jacadi (closing soon though), Baby Gap, Talbots Kids and a Pottery Barn Kids which should be opening soon.

As to the city, I believe that in Madison Ave. and the 70s there is a Jacadi, a Catimini and maybe a Tartine et Chocolat.

Have fun shopping!

Carmen
DD May 2003
and DD #2 expected in May 2005!

APG
04-18-2005, 03:40 PM
On LI, Denny's is great. There are locations in Plainview, Little Neck, Commack, Baldwin, and an ouotlet in Hicksville. They have great stuff and is for boys and girls (boys actcually goes up to 8 - 20). Lesters in Greenvale, NYC, and Brooklyn is great but upscale---they also have an amazing shoe department. For more upscale stuff, check out Gold Coast Kids in Jericho. For European clothes, Tom and Susi in Woodbury is great and the owner is a doll. In that shopping center is also jacadi, Spoiled Rotten (an upscale kids furniture, girt and bedding store), and One Small Step (a shoe store with lots of European shoes). There is a Century 21 in Westbury, not far from the Source Mall, where the Gymboree outlet is located. AS for the other malls, Roosevelt Field, has gymboree, janie and Jack, etc. And the kids dept at Bloomingdales is great. Walt Whitman in Huntington has the regular mall sore as well but Saks has a pretty good children's dept.

There are lots of other good stores. If you give more info on where you will be staying, I may be able to give you more info.

jess_g
04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the great info. We will be staying in Woodbury and taking the train into NYC from there. With 3 kids we are looking for some things to do in long island too. We will be going to the childrens museum for certain and are looking for some good places to hang out with the kids. My son loves gymboree (he loves the little corner with the chairs and the tv) so knowing which malls have a gymboree is great. Do either of the malls mentioned have a kids play area?

Thanks,

Jessica.

APG
04-18-2005, 08:07 PM
On LI, all the malls have Gymborees. Roosevelt Field and Walt Whitman have Tier One Gymborees. Broadway Mall and Smith Haven have Gymborees too. Roosevelt Field and The Source Mall both have Merry-Go-Rounds.

There is a Childrens Museum on LI and there is one one the West Side in Manhattan.

There is a cute Zoo in cetral Park that will be featured in the new movie Madagascar. The Bronx Zoo is great.

autumngrrl
04-18-2005, 09:01 PM
There are so many fantastic children's clothing stores in NYC, but if you have limited time, I'd suggest going to the Upper East Side and going to a bunch on madison ave. Bonpoint, Catamini, Boyd's, Greenstones, Spring Flowers, etc etc...

If you get to Westchester, I second the motion that the Westchester mall is a fantastic place. If you can get to Woodbury Commons Outlet Shopping Center, (1 hr north of nyc; there's a bus you can take) you'll find Little Me, Petit Bateau, Carter's, and a ton of designer stores... go to http://premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=7 to see what's there.

Enjoy!

brigmaman
04-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Oh, how funny! I was actually referring to the other Marisa. :)
I didn't realize you were a local as well!!

MarisaSF
04-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Oh no, it's okay; I knew you were talking about her, and I meant to sign my post "other Marisa".

Anyway... I'm in California, but I have family in NY/LI.