PDA

View Full Version : I ran into the sex/gender problem at Nordstrom's Kids' Shoe Department today!

dules
04-17-2005, 07:44 PM
I took DD to be measured for summer shoes. Her feet sweat in her nubuck sneakers so my goal was:

1- White or red canvas sneakers and
2- Navy or brown fisherman sandals.

Well, DD and I BOTH latched onto this pair of navy canvas Stride Rite fisherman sandals with a sneaker sole and red accents. And they were only $25.

http://www.striderite.com/images/us/local/products/detail/SHORTYFISHERMANNAVY.JPG

I asked for these and white Keds (which they have, for only $14.95, but don't put on display, go figure!) and the salesperson comes back with them.

The 5M sandal was a little narrow, and I wanted to try the W, which they did not have. So the SA says, we have lots of other sandals to try...and walks over with me to the display. Then she says (I am really quoting):

"What's the matter, you don't like THIS one?" and points to an open-toe, white, with fuschia/bright pink/bright yellow floral accents sandal. I can't find them on the Nordstrom site but let's just say that I could not have imagined a fancier sandal for a small child...MAYBE if you had just the right dress I could see it but otherwise these were totally impractical. (Probably $50 too, lol!)

I'm thinking I must be hearing things; this woman just saw DD finger-walking in the Keds.

I tell her we need a closed toe, fisherman type, good for a new walker. She says, "Oh. Well I'm afraid most of the things I'd have for her are going to be white."

Well, I eyed the Geoxx navy canvas T-strap, the Stride Rite leather "boys'" fishermen in navy and brown, the same in the Nordstrom brand, etc. and finally said, "We'll just take the Keds."

Argh!

Best,
Mary

P.S. I'm also annoyed that I trekked to Nordstrom to get her measured correctly and the SA just gave me the measuring device and then sort of peeked over my shoulder. When I asked her if she'd need a wide she gave me a blank look. Ugh.

indigo
04-17-2005, 08:31 PM
How frustrating! And how unimaginative of the sales clerk. I think I would have bought something "boyish," just to shock her.

On the bright side, we had a playdate the other day and one of the little boys (9 months) was wearing his older sister's yellow leggings with pink and purple butterflies. So there *are* people who think outside the box! ;0)

indigo
DD 7/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif
six months and counting!

janinegillot
04-17-2005, 08:57 PM
I bought those shoes you pictured in pink. I wanted the navy blue, actually, but they only had pink. They seem really nice. During the winter Gisele had 2 pairs of shoes, both were boys' canvas velcro shoes from Gap. They didn't have any flowers that would clash with outfits (I hate that) and they seemed very comfortable. And it's good to hear that people sometimes let their boys wear girls' clothes, because you don't see it in that direction very often!
Janine

dules
04-18-2005, 02:23 PM
I thought that the family I was a nanny for in grad school was the only one who did that! They had a girl, then a boy, and they CDd so half the time the little boy was in a pink diaper cover and yellow T shirt, etc.

I was pretty frustrated, but decided just not to spend any more time or money there.

Best,
Mary

saschalicks
04-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Nordstrom is known around the world for their amazing customer service. I cannot believe that SA actually works for them. That is horrible. She should be ashamed of herself. I grew up with an older brother and wore a lot of 'boy stuff'. I was the girliest girl on the block, but I wore sneakers my brother wore b/c he wore them. I think the blue sandals you picked are precious. We are currently looking for sandals for my DS as well. He started standing and walking is coming soon. I'd hate for someone not to help me size him. Who else will help if not a shoe salesperson in a shoe department. You have every right to be frustrated.

jermak
04-18-2005, 10:58 PM
I'd contact a sales manager- Nordstroms is supposed to be known for their sales staff!!! (esp. shoes!) The sandal you picked is adorable! See if they have it online w/ Nordstroms. Also, couldn't they order you what ever shoe you wanted to try?

I've had great luck with sizing and styles at Stride Rite. If you have one near you, give it a try!

jermak

PS I've dressed my dd in "boys" stuff- if its cute who cares if it was supposed to be for a girl or a boy!

dowlinal
04-19-2005, 01:23 AM
Mary,

How annoying!! Was this the paramus store? I'm hoping not since I was planning to head there this saturday after gymbo. We are desperately in need of keds since the preschoolian sneakers I spent a fortune on are not cutting it on the playground.

Did they have white fisherman sandels there? I just want a nice pair of white closed toe sandels and so far everything I've seen IRL is either open toe or pink or a fortune.

A

dules
04-19-2005, 10:29 AM
It was the Short Hills store. Maybe I didn't look chic enough to be shopping there in my Sunday outfit - yoga pants and a nice tee. Sophie was, of course, all dressed in Naartjie though, and we had a pricey stroller with us, lol!

I ended up ordering the navy canvas sandal/sneaker pictured above and the white fishermen that Ava is wearing in the Overalls post from Stride Rite.com. It's not free shipping or free returns but I was frustrated so just went for it.

They did have lots of fishermen at Nordstrom's, in white, navy and brown. I hear you re: the closed toe (and closed heel). I am hoping the ones I ordered are super soft as I always get blisters from sandals (even now) - hoping Sophie has DH's feet!

How is Gymboree? We skipped last week and went to the Turtleback Zoo instead. Thinking of just skipping this session altogether and going back in the Fall...

Best,
Mary

dowlinal
04-21-2005, 08:42 PM
So I went to paramus tonight to ger Madeline keds and white fishermen sandels. She was wearing a blue hanna onesie, jeans, a pink sweater, and black maryjanes with pink socks. When I hand the salesgirl the white sandels she tells me that I can't get them because those ones are for girls. First of all - I know she has no hair but she's clearly dressed like a girl. Secondly - if she wasn't who are you to tell me that "he" can't wear white sandels.

Plus - she gave me a hard time over the keds. First she told me that they don't carry them that small but they do have all these $40 sneakers. I told her that I knew for a fact that Nordies carries white canvas keds in size 5W. Then she brings me out the more expensive leather ones and gets annoyed when I send her back for canvas.

I'm not particlarly impressed, but still better than the paramus striderite where the saleswoman told me that I was ruining my daughter's feet by letting her wear soft shoes and then told me about this horrible custom she had earlier who actually had the nerve to breastfeed her 1 year old in the store. She thought everything about that was wrong and then blamed it on their ethnicity. I was so horrified that I walked out and refuse to go back.

dules
04-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Yiiikes. Sounds like Nordstrom's is not living up to its reputation in CS these days...and the SR experience...I'm speechless. If Sophie were still nursing I'd say we should go do a nurse-in in the store, lol!

What is it with people deciding that white, navy and brown are for only ONE sex? Of BABY at that?

Let me guess that you are not far behind me in ordering from Stride Rite online? LOL.

Best,
Mary