PDA

View Full Version : Between sizes and gaps in wardrobe...not a good combination

June Mommy
04-18-2005, 11:46 AM
LONG, bear with me!! My DS is 9 months old, and he is a big boy. 22lbs., 29 inches. He was born in July, so before I had him and when he was a newborn I was buying summer items in a 12 month size. Well, after a few months, I realized he was bigger than his size range and was wearing 12 month sizes in fall/winter items. So I bought all his spring/summer wardrobe in 18 month. We live in SC so it is warm from mid-April to mid-October.

Here is my dilemma. He is still big, but has slowed down his rapid growth rate. He fits in his 12 month items really well, like a glove, he is right at the end of that size range. BUT his wardrobe consists of summer outfits (short legs/short or sleeveless for arms) in 12 month, and winter (long sleeve, long leg outfits) in 12 month. (I dress him mostly in one piece outfits.) He has no SPRING 12 month items, like long leg/short sleeve outfits. He has a ton of 18-month things, a mix of short-sleeve longalls (mostly Gymboree) and shortalls/bubbles.

Its warm, but not quite warm enough for me to feel comfortable dressing my boy in a totally summer outfit. I've put him in some of his Gymbo 18 month spring short-sleeve longalls, and the legs are several inches too long for him, they drag the floor. Even though he is big, his body type is a big belly/long waist but short legs, LOL! So he has a closet full of 18-month spring things that are still too big and 12 month summer things that he is on his way to grow out of but it is still not quite warm enough to wear. I was realizing this as I was buying, but felt like if I bought spring things in a 12 month he really wouldn't get much wear out of them. I guess my questions are, obviously, what should I do now?

Should I dress him in his 18 month spring things even though they are too big? Is it possible to hem these things? I know soon it will be really warm and summery and then he can wear the 12 or 18 month summer things since they are short and length won't be a problem.

Should I go out and buy Spring things in a 12 month at this point in the season when he won't get much wear out of them?

Should I buy some seperates so I can customize sizes? I've always felt that one-piece dressing is easier, more economical, and more comfortable for my big-bellied baby.

I'm sorry this is so long, I have just realized that in spite of my baby's full closet and my marathon buying, he has nothing to wear! I always read that Gymboree fits long skinny babies best, and I think now I'm finding out this is true. HELP!!

caldreamer
04-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Wish I could help, but instead I'll just sympathize. I too have a closet full of clothes but nothing for DS to wear! He needs 18 mo. for his big butt and thighs, but things in that size are so LONG. I've tried shorts and shortalls, thinking they would fit like cropped pants, which I guess they do, but he's not yet walking, so he gets all caught up crawling in the too-big shortalls, and I'm worried about his knees in other shorts.

Guess I need to learn enough rudimentary sewing to do some hemming, huh?

They need to make a "short and squat" size for babes like ours, LOL.

f_steph
04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
No help from me either but more sympathy, I have a VERY tall child. he's 5 months old and 29 inches (only 18 pounds) he's growing out of all the 9-12 months and 6-12 months outfits and of course I had a ton of that for the summer.. He's going to be in 12-18 months at 6-7 months, is that insane or what? Everything is poofy on him, so like you, I prefer the one piece or else the pants fall off of him.

I would say, put him in the clothes that's too big, hem or roll it up, sorry I don't have much else to offer. You could always buy him more but it wouldn't fit for very long :-(

Steph
Mom to VERY tall William :-)

kaylinsmommy2
04-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Sorry, I don't have much advice either, although we're having a similar problem with DD. I bought some great 12 month old clothes right after DD was born (she was only 6lbs at full term when born) but then she grew so fast (DH likes to say she's on steroids, which will make her a great baseball player!) that nothing fits. Not to show off or anything, but because DD's a girl, I've gotten creative - we wear too short dresses as long tunics over jeans. We wear 3T cropped pants as long pants (which has been a great deal becuase I'm sure *someday* DD will grow into the 3T capris and wear them as actual carpis).

I did go buy a bunch of one piece outfits for now and summer. I think they look great, are comfortable, and allow for growth. I'd suggest buying 18 month old short johns or rompers. Then maybe you can throw on a sweater/sweatshirt on top when it's cold. Plus, cotton play outfits are easier to hem (if needed) than jeans and twill. :)

This is what I hate the most about baby clothes. They rarely fit to size according to the age!
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

momceecers
04-18-2005, 06:24 PM
My advice is to cut your losses. I would try and sell the 12 month summer stuff because you won't be able to use it at all. You will have to examine whether or not you will be able to use the 18 month stuff probably summer/fall. If you don't think they would be appropriate sell those too. With the $$ you make you could buy some cute 12 month spring stuff. If you like Gymboree the circle of friends coming up may work to get some things on sale or because of his body proportions you may want to try other places.

If it were me I wouldn't try hemming and buying separates, unless you are totally sure that you will be happy with the results. JMO. Stuff bugs me when it doesn't fit right. Good luck with it.

Cindy