PDA

View Full Version : Ava's mom...question for you???

mykidzmom
04-18-2005, 11:25 PM
I remember reading that you just moved from Birmingham. My husband is considering accepting a position there, and I was wondering if you could tell me the best areas to live? I have 3 children in school...so the schools are very important to us. I've heard that Vestavia Hills and Hoover were good areas. What do you think? I would really appreciate any information you could give me. We live in Franklin now...right outside of Nashville.

Thanks so much!!......Renee

AvasMama
04-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi Renee!
Schools are definitely a big issue in Birmingham. You'll want to stay out of the city proper and look at the suburbs. The best schools are in Mountain Brook (better than most private schools, even), but homes there are very expensive. Homewood also has excellent schools, but home prices are very high there as well. I have heard very good things about the schools in both Vestavia Hills and Hoover also.

My personal preference in terms of just nice places to live would be Homewood or Mountain Brook. Both have nice downtown shopping areas and are very family friendly. Vestavia is coming along too, there's been a lot of new shopping/restaurant areas going in there recently.

Good luck with your move if you decide to go! My only other advice would be to consider renting for awhile in the area you think you want to live in. Birmingham is a hard city to get a fix on until you actually live there.

Robyn & Ava

ETA: Also consider Trussville, just to the north of the city. The schools there are excellent, and they just split off from the main B'ham system. Homes there are a little more reasonably priced than in the southern suburbs I mentioned above. My former boss and his wife are very active in the Trussville school system. He's on the school board and she is a teacher.

parkersmama
04-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Renee, I grew up in Birmingham and my parents still live there. It's a great city (IMO) and we love going back there to visit.

My parents live in Pelham (which has a pretty good school system). There are several south-of-town areas which Robyn didn't mention. I know the Oak Mountain area has great schools and lots of the Shelby County (south of b'ham) schools have really come up in the past 10 years or so. There is a *lot* of growth both south and northeast of the city with lots of young families and nice homes.

I'm with Robyn...if you're up for dealing with an older, possibly smaller home, Homewood or Mtn. Brook would both be my choices. They are fabulous school systems and the "village" towns are great.

Birmingham is a lovely area...trees and hills are what come to mind first for me. :D

Best of luck!