PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has the same problem - Velcro Sandals

Squirrel_M
04-20-2005, 12:10 AM
My daughter is 18 months and opens all the velcro she can get her hands on. She takes her sandals off and I am just lucky we did not loose one yet.
Will it help to get sandals with the buckles or is it just a matter of time till she takes those off, too?
Does anyone have an idea?
Thanks!
Monika

heidi_timms
04-20-2005, 01:07 AM
I would say it's just a matter of time until she gets all shoes off. My DD is a pro at removing her shoes (any kind). Removing shoes and socks is her favorite car-riding and stroller pastime. Everytime we go somewhere, I am constantly putting on her shoes before going into the grocery store, errands, etc (after also putting them on at home first). She also chucks them out of her stroller at the mall and I have had to go back for shoes and socks several times after not noticing that she took them off and dropped them. We once lost one of our Bare Feet shoes for a week at Marshall's. I kept calling and having them check lost and found finally one of the employees checked their "mismatched" shoes and someone put my DDs shoe in there! I was so glad to have it back because nice shoes are so expensive!!!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

AvasMama
04-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Ava also takes off velcro shoes. Learned this AFTER I bought several pair of Preschoolians!! Now I just buy buckle or tie shoes, and she leaves those alone. She has a very cute pair of buckle sandals from Stride Rite (the LouLou II style) that she has been wearing a lot lately and she has never taken them off (or really tried to). For cooler weather, she wears Robeez or Ecco First Walkers, and those always stay on also.

So, yes, give the buckles a try!

Robyn & Ava

nitaghei
04-20-2005, 08:50 AM
It took my son all of 15 minutes to figure out how to undo a double-knotted lace and pull of his shoe. He can now do it in less than a minute. :)

So, for us, closure type don't matter. Now I just get velcro because it's easier to put it on - again, and again, and again . . . .

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

parkersmama
04-20-2005, 01:54 PM
I think it depends on the child and their persistance! LOL! AG undoes velcro quickly but mostly leaves tie shoes and buckle shoes alone. I prefer buckles to velcro but they are hard to find. :)

kaitlinsmommy
04-20-2005, 02:11 PM
We've been dealing with this for a year now. Kaitlin is 2 1/2 now and I'm pretty sure she could get buckles off by now. I still use Velcro because she likes to dress herself.

Anyway, this is why I preferred Merrell jungle mocs for a long time. I think they're really comfy & she couldn't take them off.