PDA

View Full Version : Shoe question - how fast do their feet grow?

pittsburghgirl
04-20-2005, 05:29 PM
My DS is 15 months, he seems to have smallish narrow feet (he is a size 5 right now).

He needs some new outdoor shoes, we have a pair of sandals but they aren't "dressy" for nice clothes. I'm wondering when he will need the next size... should I buy a size up to take us into the summer? I have no idea how fast babies feet grow.

TIA!

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

LucyG
04-20-2005, 06:33 PM
I think it really varies from child to child. My DD's first shoes were size 3, and she was in those for three months. Then, she grew about a half-size every two months. But, she's been in a size 5 or 5.5 (depending on the shoe) for six months now, so I guess you just never know! I am planning to buy her sandals just a teeny bit big in a week or so, figuring they will fit well for most of the summer. It's unwise to size up much in shoes, though, because shoes that are too big make it hard for a baby to walk correctly.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

crayonblue
04-21-2005, 08:25 AM
I think it is hard to know. Lauren wore size 4 from November to April and is just now moving up to size 5. She is 16 months. I am buying a pair of sandals in size 5 and a pair of sneakers. She also has narrow feet.

nitaghei
04-21-2005, 09:16 AM
There's no way to predict. Sadly. FWIW - I had to buy DS new shoes every 7 weeks last year between February and October (from 13 months to 21 months). His feet haven't grown since then. So he's been wearing the same shoes for about 6 months.

You can safely buy a half size up, but not more than that. Shoes, especially seasonal shoes, there's just no way of buying ahead. Unless you do it at a place like Nordstrom, which will take them back.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

amp
04-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Our shoe buying and changing of sizes has coincided nicely with the change of seasons, when we are looking for new stuff anyway. I would hesitate to buy ahead, but maybe I'm just more paranoid about shoes. Those things are expensive! So I would hate to not get any use out of them! It's not a sure thing, but probably whatever you buy right now will fit a good portion of the summer, if not all of it. Of course, some kids grow out of sizes much more quickly than others.