PDA

View Full Version : Umi Shoes?

Maggiemay
07-15-2005, 11:03 AM
I went to the Nordstrom sale this morning and couldn't resist buying a cute pair of Umi shoes for DD. I didn't realize until after I got home how stiff they feel. I bought the smallest size they came in (22) for future use (DD only wears 20 now). So far, she's only worn Robeez, preschoolians and a pair of guppy stride-rites.

Has anyone bought Umi shoes for their DC? Are they too stiff for a one-year old?

I appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thanks!

lotsofjoy
07-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Don't know if you already know this or not, but Umi's are pretty new. It's the US contingent of the now defunct Elephanten. As far as I know, they just debuted their first line.

Send them some feedback! Hopefully they will listen to their consumers. And keep getting better. I LOVED Elephanten and was very sorry to see them go. Hopefully Umi can fill the void!

Maggiemay
07-15-2005, 10:05 PM
I didn't know they were new, thanks for the info. Are they the same quality as elephanten? Since DD is my first child, I'm just learning about shoes and not sure if Umi's are good or not. I mean, they feel stiffer than, say, preschoolians, but I don't know if they need to wear in or not. Maybe that's dumb.

Anyone else purchase Umi's yet?

luvtoshop
07-15-2005, 11:54 PM
I read your post before heading to the sale so I checked them out. I also thought they were a bit stiff. I loved Elefanten shoes and am so sad that they are no longer available. I personally thought the Stride Rite mary janes were softer and had more flex and will get those for my toddlers this fall. The Umi shoes/boots were really cute, but am a sucker for that Natural Motion flex.

The good thing about Nordstrom is you can return them if you feel they are too stiff for her. : ) Good luck!

Sandra
Mommy to 2 sweet girls!

Maggiemay
07-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks Sandra. I think I will return them. They're really cute but I don't want them to be uncomfortable for DD.

jtamm
07-18-2005, 02:57 PM
I saw them in the Nordys store over the weekend and thought the same thing... they seemed way too stiff.

I noticed that a ton of shoes at the Children's Place and Gymboree all seemed stiff as boards... I'm sticking to Preschoolians and Stride Rites for now...

bethwl
07-19-2005, 11:55 PM
For Elefanten fans, Primigi also bought some of their lines, so look for those, too.

sugarsnappea
07-20-2005, 06:38 AM
I bought my 4 year old a pair of Umi white sandals. This particular pair is not stiff at all. JG thinks they are rather comfy. I am pretty pleased with the quality, no difference from Elefantens.

squimp
07-20-2005, 11:00 AM
We have these sandals, and love them. They're very nice quality, and fairly flexible.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/28361.jpg

But I wouldn't recommend these for a new walker - the soles are fairly thick. The Elefanten MJs also had a pretty thick sole. I think the sizing is a clue - if they don't start until 22, they're really not for new walkers. Maybe by the time your DD grows into them, she'll be ready?

tobycat
07-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Is Elefanten defunct in the US only or are they still available in Eurpoe? I am so bummed! DD is only 10 months so no need for shoes yet, but I couldn't wait to buy her some Elefanten shoes. Mostly just nostalgia reasons -- I wore Elefanten as a kid.

Candice

lotsofjoy
07-20-2005, 07:11 PM
As far as I know elephanten is gone for good. It's a SAD thing!

kozachka
07-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I got some brand new Elefanten shoes from eBay for DS for about $15 shipped. Check it out when your DD is ready.

Mom2Miri
07-21-2005, 01:48 AM
FWIW, for Elefanten fans, the soles on the fall Umi shoes are nearly identical to the ones on Elefantens from last year...they are a stiffer sole than the sandals (which also were a near repeat of previous Elefantens). There is quite a bit of cushioning inside the shoe.

Helen & Mirielle 2/03

supercalifragilous
07-22-2005, 02:07 AM
DD is 2 y/o and wears Preschoolians and Robeez. We got her a pair of Elefanten sandals and even though it seems flexible, she doesn't walk the same in them b/c they are a little stiffer than what she's used to in the Preschoolians.

I've heard good feedback on another brand called See Kai Run, based out of Seattle. I've seen these shoes & sandals IRL and they are pretty flexible like Preschoolians. I didn't get any at the time b/c they were expensive and she had just come out to some local boutiques (Seattle burbs) and I had just got some Preschoolians. They really are cute though. For DD's next pair I'm going to try some SKRs. I seem to remember an extensive thread here about SKRs a while back. It might be worth doing a search if you're interested in the flexible-soled shoes....