PDA

View Full Version : Re: compulsive shopping

stella
07-17-2005, 09:30 AM
What is the nuttiest thing you have done children's clothes-wise?

I have had friends in other towns go by J&J to pick up outfits for me. I have done this twice. I have also bought things when a line first came out that were adorable but were not suited to our lifestyle! Like knit dresses. Anna wore each one time after I paid full price and HAD to have them.

I have stayed up late to wait for the new lines of Hanna, J&J or Gymbo.

My shopping trips out of town ALWAYS involve children's clothes even though our closets are stuffed!

Anyone else care to confess?

meshell
07-17-2005, 11:51 AM
ok...here goes...

DS had a closet full of clothes by the time I was 7 months pregnant. I knew that people would be buying us the 0-3 months sizes, so I only bought a couple pieces in that size. But I became obsessed with Hannas when I knew you could order from the outlets and have them ship to you. Then I started calling all the outlets and having the CS reps hunt down deals for me. I bought up TONS of stuff for fall/winter, I had Hannas coming from all over the country. At the time as well, my sister started dating a guy who lived in Portland. It was nothing serious, but I kept pushing the two together so she would visit him and I could send her to the Hanna outlet in Lake Oswego. In my bargain shopping craze, I bought DS a snow bunting outfit. We live in Southern California. But at $12, I thought I HAD to have it.

Mind you, DS is my first child and I had NO idea about sizing. Plus, we didn't find out if DC's sex beforehand, so I was buying blind on that stuff as well.

And vacations and out-of-town trips are ALWAYS planned around shopping. Actually, they were before we had DS, but now it's kids' stuff vs. stuff for me.

crl
07-17-2005, 12:01 PM
When Hanna online sold out of the roll-up cords in DS' size last fall, I called 2 stores to find them and paid full price plus shipping. They were perfect for him though--he wore them rolled up fall and early winter, then down until spring. So we probably got 6 months of regular wear out of them.

stella
07-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Sorry Catherine, but the fact that you can justify it by 6 full months of wear takes it out of the realm of crazy. In fact, that's bordering on reasonable;)

You'll have to try a little harder!

Claire

tina-t
07-17-2005, 07:00 PM
When we were planning to go on vacation last year, I persuaded dh to go to Portland. I told him that it was to visit a good friend of mine who was pg at that time. However, I really wanted to go to the Hanna store and the outlet! We still went to visit my friend, of course, :)

momathome
07-17-2005, 07:45 PM
We went to a wedding in Connecticut a few years ago and when we had some time to kill one afternoon, I convinced dh we needed to frive to the Hanna outlet in Kittery, Maine - 2 hours away from where we were staying in the pouring rain! Well worth it, IMO. ;)

crl
07-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Like how I managed to get the great rationale in there? I guess that legal training has come in handy after all.

June Mommy
07-17-2005, 10:53 PM
OMG, I think we were seperated at birth. My DH complains that every vacation or trip we take is a shopping trip. I have planned weekend trips hours away simply based on a warehouse sale or something of that nature. I did things like this before I was even pregnant.

meshell
07-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Yes...you and I are peas in a pod. If DH has a business trip or if we plan a vacation, the first thing I do is google shopping for the destination, then plan our activities around that.

Well, he does the same thing for golf, so I don't feel too badly.

SummerBaby
07-18-2005, 08:31 AM
I agree with Claire- this is too practical! :) Actually, this is how I "sell" Hanna to DH. I pointed out to him that DD has been able to fit into Hanna 70s since Christmas, as opposed to other brands that only fit for a maximum of 3 months.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

mama2galpals
07-18-2005, 08:35 AM
when i had my first dd i got into the zutano stuff and i had to get like almost every piece they had. i also didn't know the sex so i had alot of yellow red and green. then a couple of years ago we went to vermont for vacation and i insisted we go to another town where i heard that zutano had their outlet store. that was delightful!

and i was a nut about the layette all THREE times (two times i knew i was having a girl). there is a store in the ny area that holds the layette in boy or girl until you deliver and the day i went to pick it out (they have all the greatest stuff) was my favorite day of the pg. then i would go to the other stores in the chain and pick out whatever was different there and they would send them to the original store to add to my layette. and then of course i had to go through the whole thing a couple of times after that. btw they have many of the cutest brands there.

rita
mommy to
olivia '97
stella '00
emma '03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
--Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

SummerBaby
07-18-2005, 08:43 AM
I travel all over NY state for my job. While I could care less about most locations, I try several times a week to schedule a meeting in Westchester County, so I can go to the Westchester, where there's a Nordstroms, Hanna and J&J (also a Sephora and a L'occitane for me) all in one location! It's really pathetic how much effort I put into this.

Another pathetic example- My in-laws live in Maine. Each time we go I BEG DH to stop at the Hanna outlet. I recently got him into Hanna, so he agreed to stop last month when we were there. Seriously, my heart started racing when we got off the exit I was so excited!

I think I've always been like this with shopping, I've just transferred my obsession to shopping for DD. It's even more fun because she looks good in everything, unlike me! :)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04