PDA

View Full Version : Good places to shop in San Francisco?

smilequeen
07-18-2005, 04:10 PM
We are going in September and DH will be busy for 2 of the days which leaves me time to shop. Mostly looking for Simon, but some for me too. I know there have to be some great places :)

We are staying in the city (I think it's Union Square, does that sound right? I've never been before...)

Thanks!

kcandz
07-18-2005, 06:59 PM
If you are looking for a high-end boutique, full of gorgeous but expensive children's clothes, I highly recommend in Union Square:

Murik Children’s Store
73 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

Union Square is shopping mecca of SF. There are mostly chain and department stores but small boutiques as well. Are you looking for shoes, clothes, all of the above?

tina-t
07-19-2005, 01:11 AM
I didn't have a baby when I used to live in SF so unfortunately, I do not know any of the shops for kids around SF. However, at the Union Square area, I always stop by Lush for their soaps. They are based in Canada and the soaps are wonderful. I also pass by the DSW Shoe warehouse to browse for new shoes. They have a clearance section at the basement.

Happy Shopping!

C99
07-19-2005, 03:23 PM
London, actually, and I agree. I like Lush's bubble bars and most people love their bath bombs.

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/potrerohill.shtml
is a good site for shopping reviews by neighborhood. There really isn't much in the way of kids' boutiques -- you'd have better luck going down the peninsula for Hanna, etc.

holliam
07-19-2005, 04:06 PM
The Valley Fair mall in San Jose has Hanna, Janie & Jack, Babystyle, Naartjie, and some other boutique stores across the street.

It would be a total PIA to get there from San Francisco without a rental car. But, easily doable with one!

Holli

audball
07-19-2005, 05:02 PM
You may want to pick up a lilaguide (www.lilaguide.com) - they have them for major cities in the US, including SF Bay Area, LA, and NYC.
Here are some of the places they have listed:
1. Dottie Doolittle 3680 Sacramento Street.
2. Giggle 2110 Chestnut STreet
3. Jean et Marie 100 Clement St.
4. Jonathan Kaye Baby 3615 Sacramento St.
5. Kids Only 1608 Haight St.
6. Maison de Belles Choses 3263 Sacramento St.

That's a good start, right? Incidentally, I have never been to these stores, but Sacramento St. always has fun and incredible stuff for women and home furnishings and art, so I think it would be a fun day anyway...

The Lila Guide is free with 10 entries, so depending on how many reviews you can get in in your local town, you may get one before your trip! It has clothing store recommendations as well as activities for kids and restaurants. I got one for the SF Bay Area and am working on getting a second one (heh heh)

You can just go down a bit on the 101 South and go to Burlingame too. Burlingame Ave. has all the standard stuff like baby gap, and gymboree as well.

http://directory.sanfrancisco.com/search?inaddr=1&q=baby+stores+&z=Burlingame&x=32&y=6

There used to be a Janie and Jack there too, but I don't see it listed...there is also a Babystyle store on Burlingame Ave.

smilequeen
07-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I won't have a rental car :( (I don't think) but Naartjie would be so fun!

miki
07-21-2005, 08:40 AM
When we left SF a year ago, there was a shop in one of the Embarcadero Center towers (very close to Union Square) in the street level shopping arcade called Kidnikki. Very expensive but very cute boutique labels for kids.

leeming
07-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Ooh, I second Kidnikki. REALLY cute (albeit pricey, as PP said) stuff!!!