PDA

View Full Version : hats for newborns

melbb
07-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Sorry to ask a stupid question, but how important is having a hat for a newborn? I realize they can lose a lot of heat through their heads, but is it necessary to have a hat in a mild climate where it doesn't get very cold (SoCal)? If so, do you have recommendations on good hats? I notice some people recommend HannaAnderson, but I would maybe prefer to not have to buy online, esp since HannaAnderson clothes are a little pricey, so I would not buy anything else there.

elliput
07-21-2005, 03:54 PM
I couldn't keep a hat on DD's head when she was a newborn (except when we went outside). I figured a newborn in a cold climate would need a hat indoors also, but she would work it off somehow when she slept. I finally gave up after a couple of weeks (and after my Mom left ;-) ).

Mermanaid
07-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Honestly, we never used one unless we were going to be outside for more than a few mins. They are absolutely adorable though.

lotsofjoy
07-21-2005, 04:36 PM
At this time of year I think the only reason to have a hat is to keep off the sun. I wouldn't worry about it for general daytime. However, inside an air conditioned building, you might want to keep a light hat on.

kozachka
07-21-2005, 05:11 PM
We got a package of 3 Carter's hats from BRU for $3 or $4 total. You supposed to use them for just a few weeks but at that price it was totally worth my piece of mind. They did not stay as well as the once my mom brought over from Europe, which had ties similar to HA pilot hat.

meshell
07-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Melanie:

We live in Southern California as well. DS was born in April and when I was pregnant I bought a ton of caps/hats, etc. for him. Honestly, he never wears them. I put them on him if they are a part of a cute outfit, but they never stay on for too long. When he was first born we used the ones he got in the hospital, but after a few weeks, we realized he really didn't need one, especially in Southern California weather.

On the same vein, though, when we are out I always try to put a sunhat on him (we have the Hanna Andersson ones) to protect his delicate skin.

Do you live near Newport Beach? There's a Hanna at Fashion Island.

amp
07-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Our DS was born in the mild weather and we didn't use a hat with him for more than a day or two. He was swaddled a lot, so cozy, but not because of a hat. With this coming baby, I plan to have a few more on hand since it will be winter. You can buy hats at Target, Gymboree, baby Gap, Carters, etc. It doesn't need to be anything special. Just something cute that covers the head.

melbb
07-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Michelle. I am in San Diego. I only asked about hats because some people mentioned that they never stay on, but the Hanna ones do. I think I will just opt for a couple from a local store, given everyone's responses.