PDA

View Full Version : Is LE Squall Jacket Fall or Winter jacket?

kozachka
07-23-2005, 04:24 AM
I've finally seen one IRL in Sears today. Unfortunately, it was marked only 30% off and size 4T, so I did not jump on it. I thought it was light and soft on the inside but there was no way I'd have DS wear it during cold winter weather. Some posts on this board made me believe that it's a winter jacket or am missing something? Maybe pp were refering to Squall Parkas as winter jackets? Or is insulation on the jacket that warm?

We do need a waterproof fall jacket so any suggestions would be appreciated. PP love LL Bean fleece jackets here but I have trouble figuring out which one is "the" LL Bean fleece jacket and believing that it would actually stay dry in rain and sleet.

AngelaS
07-23-2005, 05:34 AM
My kids always have a Lands End Squall and a heavier coat. We wear the Squalls most of the time tho! They are a great weight of coat and will keep you warm down to about 25 or 30 degrees. For kids in carseats they're not too bulky either. If we are just going to be out and about running errands, as long as it isn't horribly cold, my kids wear their Squalls.

heidis2girls
07-23-2005, 06:24 AM
My girls have worn their squalls to play in the snow! We live in Massachusetts. They are great coats!

JElaineB
07-23-2005, 06:37 AM
DS used the LE Squall for his sole winter jacket last winter here in Iowa, ahd the year before we used it in combo with a fleece bunting. We did have the LE Squall Bibs underneath when he played in the snow. It is definietly a winter jacket to me, I would consider it too warm for fall and spring. I'm looking at the Navigator jackets for somthing similar for fall use.

ETA: DS has the squall jacket the first year and the squall parka this past year and the only real difference to me was the lenght (parka slightly longer) and the pocket configuration. There wasn't any difference in their warmth.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

C99
07-23-2005, 08:22 AM
It's a winter jacket. Nate wore his all last winter when we were outside for any length of time, and there was snow from December - February here.

amp
07-23-2005, 09:09 AM
We had a squall parka last year and it was our only winter coat and worked well all winter in KS.

jfmiller
07-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I have to chime in with the PP's...we've had TWO squall parkas the past two winters and they have been PLENTY warm, in fact, too warm sometimes! We used an LE fleece jacket as his primary coat last winter, until it got cold and we needed the squall. If you are concerned about how warm it is, size up and make sure your son wears a sweatshirt/sweater with it. THAT makes ir really warm! (We found this out by accident as I bought a squall on sale last year, one size too big).These have just been my experiences...

Hope this helps some!
Jennifer
Proud SAHM to Graham (1/02) and Genevieve (4/04)

sophiesmom
07-23-2005, 08:09 PM
My kids are 4 & 2 and I've used the squall parkas every winter! They are great for the cars (when they will actually leave them on). I have one for myself and it's pretty warm, sometimes I'm chilly if I don't layer a bit if we're out in the snow. The hoods fit around their face great, and i like the elastic at the sleeves.

My only complaints about my kid's ones last year: 1. no inside drawstring like on mine to tighten around the waist. 2. When zippered to top they always hated it, it zipped up too high, it needed to be lower. I think they update them each year so maybe this years will be better.
I made out great last year, I got them so cheap at the end of season sale, i think about $20 bucks in Sears. This year however, in our local Sears (PA) this winter, they had no toddler size lands end clothes in the stores. I'm hoping they can still fit in their's from last year!

ddmarsh
07-24-2005, 07:29 AM
We've always used them as winter coats as well. Recently though we switched to the LL Bean version due to the style changes that I just didn't care for.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-24-2005, 11:57 AM
We used it as a winter jacket here in New England. I have one for myself too and wore it all winter. They are very warm.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

ett
07-24-2005, 02:45 PM
We are in the northeast and DS used it all winter. If it was really cold outside, I just made sure he had enough layers inside.

kozachka
07-25-2005, 01:21 AM
25 degrees Fahrenheit is only about minus 4 degrees Celsius, not exactly a winter weather in the part of the world we'll be heading to (i.e. Ukraine). More like late fall weather. And most likely DS won't be spending too much time in a car since we won't own one and we'll be living downtown of 3 million plus city. So I am thinking lots of walking and public transportation.

For winter DS will need a jacket that can stand up to 15 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit. I've got him a used Hanna jacket with bibs for that. And was also thinking to get a warm Columbia parka for back-up. Or do you think two winter jackets would be an overkill?

I was really hoping that Squall will be our fall jacket but since everybody thinks it's too warm for that I'll have to contact Lands' End in the morning to see what our options are (Navigator?) and what temperature is Squall rated for. Maybe it could be our second winter jacket with an extra layer or two underneath. Seriously, I am afraid pp, particularly my mom, would think I am abusing DS for letting him go outside in such a thin jacket ;). BTW Squall parkas now have a waist cord, which I think is absolutely essential for the winter winds.

kozachka
07-25-2005, 01:27 AM
>We've always used them as winter coats as well. Recently
>though we switched to the LL Bean version due to the style
>changes that I just didn't care for.
>
>

Debbie, what do you like about LL Bean jackets better? And are you talking about the Warm Up or Katahdin parka/jacket?

ddmarsh
07-25-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm referring to the warm up, which is comparable to the LE squall.

It seemed in the past few couple of years the LE version had a different look to the fabric that I just didn't care for and the waist on the parkas didn't seem to cinch as well as the Bean version. It's all just a personal aesthetic issue, I just happen to prefer the look of the Bean ones. I also like how on the Bean jacket style the back comes down a bit.

R2sweetboys
07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Elena,
May I suggest the L.L. Bean Rugged Ridge Parka for the really cold days? It's a wonderful jacket that isn't bulky but is REALLY warm. DH and I both have them as well as the boys. Unfortunately(after I started this response), I went and looked for it on L.L.Bean's website and couldn't find it listed under kid's. It might be because they're more focused on fall stuff right now.(I reallllly hope they haven't discontinued them!) I'm sure customer service could help if you did want to look for one. Here's a link to the adult ones that are on sale for $60, down from $100.
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=37643&sc1=Search&feat=sr

It's similar to the Katahdin in the kid's but a bit nicer/warmer I think. Also, they have their adult warm-up parkas on sale for $50 which would be good for fall. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=39049&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=8012&cat4=6703&shop_method=pp&feat=ssdpb6703

HTH!

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

kozachka
07-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Thanks for suggesting Rugged Ridge Parka, Leslie. I'll be on the look-out for it. And I could use a Warm Up Parka for myself but they don't have any left in my size in Lake and green is not my colour. Wonder how dark rose looks IRL? H-m-m. Looks like a faded red. Not sure I'll like it.