PDA

View Full Version : If your child was going to meet the President

kransden
07-25-2005, 09:31 AM
After reading the article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/21/AR2005072102347.html?nav=E8)on John Roberts and how his children were dressed to meet the president; I started wondering. If your child was going to meet the President what would they wear? Say the meeting was the first week of August and it was something important like you getting a congressional medal of honor, not a group of school kids on a tour. What do you think would be appropiate?

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

DebbieJ
07-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Well, I'd have to do some very quick shopping! I think the only appropriate outfit in my son's closet right now is a lime green jon-jon with a white polo underneath. But even that would be too casual, I think. I would definitely have to run out and get some appropriate shoes also.

Can you tell we're a casual family? DS just wore a HA bold stripe romper to church on Sunday with his SR Guppy sandals.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

pittsburghgirl
07-25-2005, 12:40 PM
We would have to shop for something appropriately dressy. My DS is 18 months so probably a fancy jon-jon with shirt and new shoes or perhaps a two piece outfit (not unlike what Judge Roberts' son was wearing :)

My brother was a Presidential Scholar in the Arts in high school and we went to a ceremony on the White House lawn. Every one of us was dressed up, and we didn't even get to meet President Reagan (yeah, I'm that old). My mother and I even had nice hats on (it was outside in the summer, after all!) Then again, back then people didn't wear flip flops with dresses so it would not have occurred to us to not be in our best.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

Tracey
07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
I think that author is a jerk. I have no doubt that it is the nominee that she is really upset about, but she is choosing to attack the children's clothing. They were well dressed and if those clothes weren't classic, then I'd like to see what is. Apparently I don't know the diffrence between old fashioned and classic. What did she want the kids to wear, gap t-shirts and jean shorts? Maybe Roberts should have worn a skater t-shirt and flip flops.

ETA: I'd dress my daugther, in fact my entire family, similarly if were were meeting the President in a formal situation.

mattiew
07-25-2005, 01:20 PM
I was really surprised at how mean this article was; the entire family looked nice and totally appropriate...regardless of political views I hate it when the children are targeted. Since DD is 2.5 I would put her in a smocked bishop with stockings and dress shoes. If I had a little boy he would be in a jacket. I would totally panic about what I would wear : )

Carrie

CiderLogan
07-25-2005, 01:32 PM
I am no fan of Bush or Roberts, but I thought the kids looked adorable and perfect for the occasion. I would dress my own DD that way if we ever had anything formal to attend! And seeing that little boy in that cute suit made me want a DS!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

babymama
07-25-2005, 02:42 PM
I really liked the little seersucker suit the nominee's son wore. If we were invited to the White House, I might dress my son in something similar. I find the "timeless" look appealing for dressy occassions.

Thanks for posting that link. I really enjoyed the article.

I can't believe those women from the lacross team wore flip-flops!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

kijip
07-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Mostly for weddings and pictures but he has a suit quite similar to the one that Jack Robert wore, only his is ivory garbadine. I think it is quite uncalled for the author to act like NO ONE has dressy kids clothes anymore. I am not "old money", not "old fashioned" and we have a suit for Toby and I know many people that do have dressy clothes for thier children. For freaking sake, the man is being nominated to the Supreme Court, his kids are dressed perfectly for the occasion!

However I must say that it this particular president was meeting Toby outside of the White House (LOL) that I would have a hardtime not reaching for a Democratic themed punky tee-shirt or just a plain old anti-Bush shirt for Toby like the one I made for him that says on the front "Bush Lied" and on the back "This child was left behind". You asked, I'll admit it!

ginamlee
07-25-2005, 03:58 PM
All of my 4 children dress in nice clothing for our religious meetings 3 times per week. My son has about 10 suits, including one that happens to be a seersucker suit. I don't know what rock the author of the story has been living under, but there are plenty of children who wear "dress clothes" on a regular basis. I love those outfits!

caridura
07-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Katie, that is too funny! I was thinking the same thing about a Democratic-themed t-shirt. ;)

I thought the children looked dressed for the occasion. The little boy's outift is really not my style, but he looked cute nonetheless. It reminded me of images of little JFK Jr.

Perhaps the author is young and therefore doesn't get what nice attire for children is?? I don't know....

mamahill
07-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Geez louise, that author needs to chill out. Like someone said, the guy is being nominated to the Supreme Court. It doesn't matter how you feel about him or the president - the kids look fantastic! I hope they took a family portrait like that. Ainsleigh has many dresses - some for play and some for special occasion.

If we were meeting the President (from any party) or anyone or equal religious or political level, we'd probably do something similar - seersucker and pastels are always nice. But Ainsleigh would get to wear white gloves. And maybe a hat. Or white eyelet bonnet. She had one when she was younger and it was tdf!

kijip
07-25-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm 25!

Also I noticed that Mrs. Roberts looks very modern...those pumps are trendy with the pointed toes and suit is worn with no shirt collar and it has that very trendy fringe. From the way the author writes you would expect Mrs. Roberts was right out of 1950 complete with pill box hat. The article is plain silly.

almostamom
07-25-2005, 09:56 PM
This article has really ruffled my feathers!!! If you have a problem with someone's political views, opinions, etc. -- fine, but, no matter what, the children are off limits! No exceptions. I don't care if you're writing about their clothes, haircuts, names, or whatever -- these are small children for goodness sakes! Oh, this has me so steamed I can't even write anything else!!

~Linda~
DS 11/04

Marisa6826
07-25-2005, 10:42 PM
They were dressed perfectly. Don't know what the editorial's author is smoking, but geez, does she prefer a ho' baby outfit and low riders?!

I would dress the girls exactly as Josie was - probably something from Talbots Kids. If I needed to grab something out of the drawer right now, I've got some beautiful summer dresses that would go perfectly. Shoes, however, might be iffy. ;)

Something appropriate for Jonathan and me is another story entirely :P

-m

HannaAddict
07-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Or the kids could have worn something like my son's sweatshirt that says "Attorney Work Product" in nice courier font.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

I thought they looked cute and adorable, even though I cringe at the nominee. I hate them taking shots at the kiddos too.

zuzu
07-26-2005, 06:45 AM
ITA with all the comments on the children's dress.

But I *had* to comment on your son's sweatshirt. DH and I don't usually go for the lawyer-themed stuff, but that is just too cute. Where did you find it?

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

HannaAddict
07-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Our friends, who are much more creative than we are, actually made it. With a two lawyer couple, it is perfect. She did a navy sweatshirt with yellow, very official looking large courier font type. We think it is hilarious.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

dowlinal
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
That article is just awful! I think those kids looked absolutely adorable and were dressed perfectly for the occasion. Madeline wears dresses like that to church all the time. If I had a boy I imagine that I would dress him in a suit like that as well. For me it's simply a matter of dressing appropriately for the situation and meeting with the president, irregardless of my personal feelings toward him, requires dressier attire.

I agree that this author must be living under a rock if she thinks that kids aren't dressed that way.

zuzu
07-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks! What a cute idea. Even if we don't make one for DD, we know plenty of other two lawyer couples who'd get a big kick out it! :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)